Search results to follow...

Top of the table point a piece

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Barrow

07 February 2015

After the unbeaten run ending defeat to the hands of Oxford City the previous weekend, Andy Morrell’s third placed squad welcomed top of the table Barrow to The Lamb.
Morrell was forced to make one change with James ruled out which brought Brendon Daniels back into the starting eleven after two games coming off the bench, with the gaffer taking the spare spot as a sub himself.
Former Lamb Andy Haworth started for the visitors, with both teams having lost once in the last 6 league games.

Tamworth faced the Barrow fans in the away end as the Bluebirds kicked off proceedings.A short backpass from Sampson, inside the box , forced Belshaw to protect his goal with a quick thinking clearance as Walker bore down on him, but in the next move Barrow netted via Cook’s unmarked header inside the near post after Haworth found space on the left to lift the ball invitingly for him to nod home. (0-1, 4 mins)
The referee kept a calm head when a number of challenges challenges came from both sides before the 15 minute mark.
First Sytche and Livesey exchanged pleasantries and then Sampson clattered Guy setting up Haworth with a freekick that he curled just past the left hand upright with Belshaw at full stretch.
The Lambs first shot on target came on 17 when Daniels deflected strike bounced back to Taylor in the visitors goal.
The other Taylor on the field then got pulled back by Livesey who earned himself a yellow card for his troubles, but the crowd thought it should have been red.
Daniels struck his freekick from 25 yards out low and into the bottom far corner to make it all square on 19 – his ninth goal of the season (1-1, 19 mins)
Taylor then struck Tayor’s bar from 8 yards out on 27 after a good nod down from Styche and The Lambs continued to attack and forced a right sided corner which was headed behind for a goal kick.
At the other end a debated foul set up Barrow’s Ledsham on the half hour but his deadball was blocked and Haworth struck the rebound out of the ground.
Play switched to the Meadow Street end and Taylor’s shot rose over the away stand on 32 and when Sampson was felled on 33, Cook picked up a yellow for the foul.
Green chased the ball into the far corner but pulled up and needed a stretcher to make it back to the dressing rooms, bringing Trainer into the game.
Adams was booked for a foul on Wilmer-Anderson on 37 and Haworth put the freekick into the box onto the head of Ledsham but Belshaw was able to gather it low near the goal line.
A foul on Styche by Ledsham on 42 set up Daniels with a freekick from 22 yards out in a central position but it struck the Barrow defender and was eventually cleared before the offside flag halted Styche and Hibbert’s efforts to get a strike on goal.
Clarke lifted the ball intelligently through to Styche but Ledsham got their just before he could strike and so a corner was the result which went long to Adams and his shot deflected for another on the Cross Street side. Although the flag kick was headed away, Tamworth regained possession until a foul in the Barrow box halted play shortly before the half time whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Barrow

Tamworth restarted proceedings attacking the Castle End but it was the visitors who had the early possession and Walker had to be dispossessed by Sampson for a Bluebirds corner that Belshaw did well to pluck out of the air from a goalbound header.
When Daniels and Haworth’s legs tangled on the right wing, the visitors were given the freekick and a couple of headers flashed around the box before Belshaw was able to take the ball cleanly.
After a spell of Barrow pressure, Styche forced a corner on the right on 58 and Daniels received it back but Barrow broke quickly before losing possession.
Tamworth made a similar break on the hour and Styche was pulled back on the half way line and both he and Burns were booked for their troubles after the Lambs striker retaliated to the foul.
At the Meadow Street End, Howarth struck right footed into the side netting and called for a corner but the referee awarded a goalkick.
Belshaw was brave to stop the ball from being reached by the outstretched boot of Walker on 68.
A Barrow corner on 70 was headed down but well wide of the mark by captain Grand and Walker struck from distance straight into the grateful hands of Belshaw on 72 and then Tamworth tried to force their way through but play eventually ended with an offside against Styche.
A foul on Daniels set the same player up on 74 on the right corner of the box and it took a deflection to make it go high and out for a right sided corner but the low flag kick was booted away.
Jackson came into the fray on 75, replacing Styche, and injected some fresh pace upfront and the game continued but with little goalmouth action to report.
Adams showed his skills in the middle of the park around 83 and then overhit the pass downfield almost summing up the second half in one move before Thornton came on for Taylor on 86.
A deep ball into the box from Daniels found Jackson but he was unable to direct the header and keeper Taylor was happy to let play wait. Into stoppage time, Barrow’s Walker had to go off the field injured for a late change and Wilmer-Anderson was booked for shielding the ball from Vidal while on the floor shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belshaw, Vidal, Sampson, Green (Trainer 36), Smith, Adams, Green, Clarke, Hibbert, Styche (Jackson 75), Taylor (Thornton 86)
Subs: Wilkins, Morrell

Yellow Cards: Adams 37, Styche 60
Red Cards: none

Barrow Team:

Taylor, Burns, Wilmer-Anderson, Lacey, Livesey, Grand (c.), Haworth (Sheridan 86), Ledsham, Walker (Cowperthwaite 90+5) Cook, Guy (Carver 73)
Subs: Gorman, McWillimas

Yellow Cards: Livesey 18, Cook 33, Burns 60, Wilmer-Anderson 90+5
Red Cards: none

Attendance: 1034

Man of the Match: Jon Adams

Referee: Mr G. Mellor

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures