Search results to follow...

And one Moor makes eight

FT: Tamworth 3    1 Solihull Moors

01 January 2015

On the back of an unbeaten winning streak of seven league games to the end of 2014, Andy Morrell’s high flying Lambs looked to take themselves into fourth position in the league with an eighth straight victory but would have to defeat fifth placed Solihull, as they had done on Boxing Day, to achieve this.
Morrell made one change to the side that defeated Worcester City – resting his legs ahead of Brendon Daniels in the starting eleven, while Dom Smith returned on loan and took a place on the bench having been unable to play in the last match.

Solihull got the game underway, attacking the Carle End in the first half and quickly tested Belshaw from distance, while the keeper tested his opposite number with a kick out of his hands which the wind helped take all the way to the Meadow Street penalty area and into the arms of the awaiting Breeden.
Beswick was allowed space and time to turn on a ball to feet from the right of wing on 7 and fired low into Belshaw’s grasp.
On 15, Hibbert advanced towards the box down the left and was brought down by a hand on his shoulder from Daly, causing the Moors defender to be booked for his troubles.
Daniels lined up the freekick but it came back off the wall and Adams struck the rebound sweetly but that too was blocked and cleared by the Solihull defence.
Preston needed a bit of treatment following a knock to the head on 19 and on 22 Daniels struck a low freekick into the arms of Breeden from 35 yards out in front of the shed.
English was booked for a foul in the centre circle on 27 and TJ’s freeekick fell to Green but his shot was wide of the mark.
Sampson put in a telling tackle to deny Bogle a shooting chance on 29 and a minute later Clarke was forced from the field through injury, bringing Trainer on, on 32.
Taylor fired in peach of a cross from the right on 40 looking for the head of Green but the Lambs man was beaten to it at the far post and Solihull conceded the corner which as half cleared before Tamworth.
After an undisclosed period of added time at the end of the first half the whistle blew on a goalless first half.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Solihull Moors

Tamworth restarted proceedings going on the offensive straight away to try and put the ball into the Castle End net as soon as possible. Daniels tried a long range freekick on 52 which bounced nicely for Breeden catch at head height at his near post and then Beswick had a golden opportunity to open the scoring but blasted over the bar with a rising shot from 10 yards out.
A tackle by Vidal caused a bit of a ruckus from everyone else but him on 55 and although the referee had no choice but to book him there were a number of other players who escaped the referee’s notebook.
Bogle got the better of Sampson for the first time in the game on 56 and rolled a shot at Belshaw who smothered it easily.
Bogle was dangerous again on 63 down the Solihull left wing but the final ball was booted away by Preston and Tamworth managed to break over the half way line.
Belshaw came rushing out unnecessarily on 65 and conceded a corner through the deflection off Bogle who already had two or three defenders around him.
With the win continuing to play havoc with balls in the air, both sides continued to play balls in the air.
Hibbert found sub Wilkins with a ball into the right channel and he probably should have struck it first time but could only find Breeden in the way of his right foot shot on 75.
Hibbert’s run into the area forced another corner on the right and when the ball came out to Daniels he curled the ball into the near post area and a superb diving header from Dave Hibbert gave Breeden no chance - 1-0 to The Lambs on 76.
Then, on 82 Beswick found a gaping hole in the Lambs defence and took full advantage by slotting home in front of the visiting fans to make things all square and set up a tense last 7 minutes. (1-1)
But after Morrell had come on for Hibbert The Lambs regained the lead when Daniels’ freekick was slotted home from close range by Green. (2-1, 85 mins)
Taundry hit a dipping effort over the bar via the aid of a slight deflection on 88 and Bogle got his head to the corner but lifted the ball over the bar in midflight as the drizzly rain continued to sheet down on the pitch.
A Lambs corner was forthcoming on the right on 90 and it became 3-1 to The Lambs thanks to another one from Green - a header at the far post from the corner which Breeden couldn't claw out.
Although one minute added time was shown, by the time the final whistle had been shown the sides had played 95 minutes and a standing ovation saw the Lambs players off the field after their 24th point out of 24!

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Vidal, Sampson, James, Preston, Adams, Green, Clarke (Trainer 32), Hibbert ( Morrell 83), Taylor (Wilkins 67), Daniels
Subs: Smith, Thornton
Yellow Cards: Vidal 55
Red Cards: none

Solihull Moors Team:
Breeden, Nottingham, Gough, Denny (Fleet 79), Daly, Elvins, Moore, English (Taundry 79), Bogle, Beswick, Knights
Subs: Chamberlain, Byfield, Langdon
Yellow Cards: Daly 15, English 27
Red Cards: none

Attendance: 864

Referee: Mr. M. Amhplett

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures