Search results to follow...

One Moor makes six

FT: Solihull Moors 0    2 Tamworth

26 December 2014

Tamworth made the Boxing Day trip to Damson Parkway to face high flying Solihull Moors on their own turf for the first time in a little under five years.

Andy Morrell was forced to make one change to the side that had defeated Harrogate comprehensively sis days previously - with Tom James out with sickness, Javan Vidal came back into the starting eleven.
In the oppositions ranks, former Lambs keeper Tony Breeden started for Moors while Darren Byfield and Dom Langdon started the game on the subs list.
Solihull got the game underway with The Lambs attacking the seated end of the ground, populated by a lot of vociferous Tamworth fans full of post Christmas cheer!
The game started at a quick pace and when Adams found Taylor he put the ball into the danger area and Morrell headed goalward but wide of Breeden’s left hand post.
Play switched quickly to the other end and a deflected shot off Moors top scorer Bogle went looped wide of the mark. Sampson received a talking to from referee Mr. Meeson following a dangerous challenge on Beswick on 8 and with the ball in the Lambs half, Solihull started and ended a flowing move after the referee had waved away possible handball in although it ended with ball across the six yard box which everyone missed, including Belshaw and The Lambs defenders.
A left footed strike from Beswick on 12 was nearly met by the head of Bogle at the far post then at the other end with 15 minutes gone and from pressure and in the box a header from Green the ball bounced invitingly to be cleared but Daly stooped and nodded the loose ball past his own keeper trying to clear it away (1-0) Despite the 1-0 advantage there were still 75 minutes to play and a lot of hard work to be done, which was evident in abundance as the minutes ticked by.
The half hour mark passed without much incident, although that’s not to say the game was played around the half way line, as both Breeden and Belshaw had to protect their area’s from searching through balls if the hard working defences were momentarily breached.
Knights was booked for a late challenge on Green on the halfway line on 36 and Breeden was happy to take the resultant freekick at height on the edge of his box.
A similar freekick the other way came on 40 and Knights floated it into the box but Vidal managed to direct it away from danger with a glancing header.
Danger proved it was not far away on 42 when Moore whipped a cross in and Belshaw was equal to the shot that eventually came in at his near post.
A late flurry towards Breeden’s box came shortly before the end of the first half and it caused the keeper to leave the comfort of his own area and slide the ball out of play almost by the home dugout on the half way line.
Although play restarted with the keeper scampering back the referee blew his whistle on the first 45 minutes.

HT: Solihull Moors 0    1 Tamworth

Play restarted with the cold winter rain still coming down but it wasn’t hampering the fans enthusiasm as songs from both sets bounced under the goalside covered terracing.
Although the rain changed to snow there was no let up in the speed of the game, but the ability to control the ball was reduced.
However after Solihull’s first sub in the hour, Smith managed to make a controlled run through to the 18 yard box and fire a shot at Breedon, which the keeper gathered at the second attempt.
A tidy piece of play out of midfield set Jackson away down the right on 63 and he forced a corner whic was headed behind for another and eventually cleared.
Solihull then enjoyed a spell in the Lambs half but Sampson and Preston and the rest of the team ensured the ball stayed away from the box and following a quick break around the 70 minute mark Jackson burst into the box and nearly had his shirt removed as he shaped to shoot and so a penalty was the only decision the referee could make.
Jackson dusted himself down and send Breeden the wrong way from the spotkick to make it 2-0 on 74 minutes.
Taylor and Sampson both picked up a card for different reasons following a foul on the right wing, and as the minutes ticked away Solihull refused to give up but found it increasingly difficult to get into a shooting position, and when they did they were quickly closed down.
Two changes quickly came for the Lambs and then Belshaw was forced to tip a rare shot on target over the bar on 85 and the corner was cleared.
Daniels made headway towards Breeden’s goal and got around the defenders but couldn’t squeeze the ball past the dive of the keeper who managed to push it around the post for a corner.
A late header from Daly fell into Belshaw's arms in added time and the final whistle blew on a sixth straight league victory.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Smith, Sampson, Vidal, Preston, Adams, Green, Clarke, Jackson (Hibbert 75), Morrell (Daniels 77), Taylor (Trainer 89)
Subs: Wilkins, Thornton

Solihull Moors Team:
Breeden, Nottingham, Gough, Denny (Fleet 60), Daly, Elvins (Langdon 83), Moore, English, Bogle, Beswick, Knights
Subs: Taundry, Chamberlain, Byfield

Attendance: 809

Referee: Mr. D. Meeson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures