Search results to follow...

Lambs make it four from four

FT: Gloucester City 1    2 Tamworth

08 December 2014

Andy Morrell brought his side to Whaddon Road, home of The Robins of Cheltenham, but to face their tenants, the Tigers of Gloucester City looking for a four league victory in a row.
The Lambs would lift to twelfth in the table if they left Gloucestershire victorious over their last but one placed opponents but were all to aware that lowly teams sometimes posed the biggest threat – as Hyde had proved in the FA Trophy just nine days previously.
Morrell made one change to the side that ran out against Lowestoft as Dan Preston was suspended and so Josh Sampson came into the starting eleven.

The Lambs got the game underway attacking the populated end of Whaddon Road and on 5 Daniels unleashed a bullet of a shot from 35 yards which took the fingertips off Singh in the home goal as he tipped it over the bar for a corner which came to nothing.
A left sided cross from Groves on 10 looped off the head of White and into the tall stretch of Belshaw, then at the other end Daniels received the ball 25 yards out and tried a low shot but it went wide of the right hand upright.
And so it was third time lucky for Daniels as he found space on the left for an angled strike from the left of the box into the far bottom right corner, just inside the post to put Tamworth 1-0 up on 14.
TJ was pulled down on the left of the Gloucester box on 16 but Jackson’s freekick over the wall was too high over the bar to trouble Singh.
Daniels cross from the left wing on 21 slipped through the Singh’s fingers but there was no one around the mop up the half chance and the home side made their first change of the game.
On 27 Daniels was allowed a dead ball chance from the right wing but Gloucester cleared and when the ball went over the half way line TJ and White had to be spoken to by referee Fearn for having a niggle at each other.
When Jackson and Tigers captain Harris fell over each other and banged heads on the edge of the Gloucester box on 31 Harris needed treatment but was OK to carry on.
Vidal was awarded a fortunate freekick on 35 allowing The Lambs to keep the ball in the final third a little longer and a shirt tug on the opposite side freekick on the opposite side forced a corner.
The ball came out to Adams and he struck it left footed from 25 yards but it went wide of the left hand post and into the generally empty seats behind the goal.
Following a short spell of Gloucester possession Parker hit a powerful low shot from the right into the right hand side of the target and Belshaw was equal to it, dropping low to smother the effort.
Gloucester when close through Griffin on 43 when a cross field ball from Groves was headed well but high and over the bar.
The Lambs broke though, and Jackson remained strong to beat Griffin at the other end for pace and strength before slotting it home under the dive of advancing Singh (2-0, 44 mins) and so went in at the break with a deserved upper hand on proceedings.

HT: Gloucester City 0    2 Tamworth

Gloucester restarted the match and quickly turn the heat up (something that the fans of both clubs would have definitely appreciated on the decidedly chilly terraces) and when Daniels was fouled 30 yards out he stepped up and fired the freekick through the wall and into the arms of Singh.
A great run from Jackson deserved a good finish, but his low ball across the face of goal was not quite met by Morrell or Green and in the next move Morrell supplied the ammunition but no one was able to pull the trigger and Gloucester escaped.
Gloucester pulled one back on 56 when Parker got the better of the Labs defence and slotted the ball past Belshaw from 18 yards into the bottom left of the goal.
With the wind beneath their sails Hall struck from distance on 58 and Knowles diverted his shot into the grateful arms of the Lambs keeper and the madness continued when Jackson lifted ball back to Belshaw but White was quick and tried to nip in and lift the ball over the keeper but luckily for The Lambs his cushioned attempted was too weak and Belshaw was able to pluck the ball out of the air.
A foul on the left wing that caused referee Fearn to have a word with a few players allowed Daniels to strike his freekick low around the wall and into the side netting on 69.
After riding another wave of home pressure, The Lambs forced a corner on the left on 76 but it came to nothing and Gloucester continued to press forward especially on the counter attack.
The first booking of the game came on 81 when Williams upended Daniels and the home player had his name taken.
Daniels caught Parker with a high boot on the Tigers right wing on 85 and the home side made their third change of the game before the freekick was taken by Jones.
The ball flicked up from the deadball and Belshaw caught it at height, landed and then reacted to a push in the area by pushing back, resulting in a yellow card for both the keeper and Griffin.
The Lambs broke forward and Jackson went down under pressure but there was no penalty shout or claim and Morrell then took a tumble on the edge of the area as the clock ticked into added time. Morrell decided he couldn’t continue and Clarke also took a knock bringing Townsend and Trainer onto the field to see the game out.
Singh came up for a last minute freekick but he wasn’t able to get anywhere near the deep left sided cross and The Lambs tried to slow things down as much as possible before the final whistle eventually blew on the fourth league victory in a row, the first time that has happened since 2008-09.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Smith, Vidal, James, Sampson, Adams, Green, Clarke (Trainer 90), Jackson, Morrell (Townsend 90), Daniels
Subs: Wilkins, Taylor, Gill

Gloucester City Team:
Singh, Green, Hall (Lucas 86), Harris, Williams, Knowles, Richards, Webb (Griffin 21), White (Jones 62), Parker, Groves
Subs: Avery, Connolly

Attendance: 246

Referee: Ms A. Fearn

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures