Search results to follow...

Defeat at Bower Fold

FT: Stalybridge Celtic 3    1 Tamworth

13 September 2014The Lambs made the journey to Bower Fold looking for a win to put an end to the run of five comeback draws on the road, since the start of the season.
Boss Dale Belford made two changes to the starting eleven that ran out at Gainsborough in midweek, including recently Internationally cleared Javan Vidal but was forced to swap one more player before kick off when Michael Townsend pulled up in the pre-match warm up.
The Lambs made the perfect start after kicking off proceedings as Jackson forced the Celtic defender off the ball and cross low for Clarke to sidefoot home from 12 yards out. (1-0, 28 seconds).
The game continued at a quick pace and on 9 minutes Celtic were level following good work down the right which ended with McKenna putting the ball into the path of Ennis who rifled home from the edge of the area. (1-1, 9 mins)
A corner on the right from Ennis was met with a good header on 12, but his effort clipped the top of Belshaw’s crossbar.
Thornton saw his But on 18, Ennis returned the favour for McKenna who headed home from close range to give the home side the advantage. (1-2, 18 mins) And the scoreline increased on 26 when Dickinson’s header from Ennis’ freekick on the right was powered home from 25 yards out into the bottom right corner by Cadman. (1-3, 26 mins)
Jackson nearly reduced the arrears on 35 but was unable to squeeze his shot past the keeper and Thornton’s follow up was not direct enough to go into the net either.
Belshaw prevented Cadman’s second on 37 when the midfielder burst through on the left of the box, but found the keeper’s feet rather than the back of the net. McKenna saw his deflected shot pushed away by Belshaw on 42 and Ennis skipped along the edge of the area but shot wide of the mark in the next move.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half before the whistle blew.

HT: Stalybridge Celtic 3    1 Tamworth

Celtic restarted proceedings and The Lambs made a change with Hibbert going off and Taylor going off in his place.
Taylor forced a corner on 49 with a right wing cross that was headed behind and Trainer tried to acrobatically volley it towards goal but couldn’t get it on target.
Taylor was unlucky to see his low shot on the turn not test home custodian King a little more than it did, but the Lambs renewed sense of purpose was there for all to see as Celtic were kept penned back in their own half for the opening 10 minutes.
Thornton looked for the run of Jackson on 56 and forced another Lambs corner but Stalybridge cleared back to Belshaw with another hefty boot up the Bower Fold hill.
Clarke rolled an effort past the post and a minute later Vidal saw his deflected shot loop goalward onto for it to be denied by King as it looked to be dropping into the net.
Sub Daniel’s first touch allowed him a free strike at goal on 67 but his deadball curled over the cross bar. Cadman felled Vidal on the left wing on 70 but the freekick bounced around the area and Jackson was unable to turn it into the goal.
The Lambs final change of the afternoon came on 74 with Simmonds on for Jackson.
Despite penning the home side back for the majority of the second half, The Lambs failed to test keeper King sufficiently and despite four minutes added time they could get nothing from the game.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Green, Clarke, Trainer, Preston, Vidal, Adams, Purdie, Hibbert (Taylor HT), Thornton (Daniels 66), Jackson (Simmonds 74)
Subs: James (only four subs due to injury to Townsend who was replaced by Trainer in the starting eleven before kick off)

Stalybridge Celtic Team:
King, Bleau, Heath, Hughes, Regan, Joyce (Lomax 83), Cadman (Wigley 78), Staunton-Turner, McKenna (Chippendale 71), Ennis, Dickinson
Subs: Crowley, Martin

Attendance: 404

Referee: Mr. J. Crosby

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures