Search results to follow...

Lambs forge another late point

FT: Gainsborough Trinity 1    1 Tamworth

09 September 2014The home side kicked off proceedings and there was little to choose between the two sides in the early exchanges as both sides struggled to take control.
An 8th minute corner for the home side threatened but the header from Russell was headed away by Trainer but there was no defence for the goal that was conceded on 10 when Grayson lost the ball in the Trinity half and when the pass fell to Bateson he turned through his tow covering defenders and lifted a curling shot over Belshaw into the far left. (0-1, 10 mins)
Tamworth tried to get back into the game quickly, and forced a couple of corners but keeper Budtz was not troubled and when Jackson’s shot from distance went well wide, the lack of any fans behind the goal meant the keeper had to retrieve it himself.
A great curling cross from the right was met by the head of Beesey on 21 but it went just wide of the left hand upright.
The air raid siren heralded another Gainsborough corner on 25, but it came to nothing and a deep ball forward was taken at height by Belshaw shortly after.
Townsend nipped in to take the ball off the toes of Beesley on 28 but a quick break forward saw Toner find Bateson who in turn found Beesley and his shot from 20 yards took a deflection for a corner which Belshaw took at height.
A shot on the turn from Higginson from 18 yards forced Belshaw to drop and smother it on 32.
On 38 Bateson forced a corner off Grayson on the right and the ball was worked back out and then in for Toner to try a low finish but Belshaw was quickly down to it and palmed it away.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half which ended with the home side holding the upperhand.

HT: Gainsborough Trinity 1    0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted proceedings having first made a change with Adams replacing Daniels.
Townsend was booked for a late challenge on Beesley on 50 and then on 55 Russell passed to Bateson who rolled the ball to Beesley but he was unable to beat Belshaw, who cut his angle down superbly and forced him to shoot past the post.
Finally a Lambs shot on target came on the hour but Hibbert's lifted effort on the turn in the box was pushed away at full stretch by Budtz and the home keeper was forced to be alert from the corner too.
A good move on 63 ended with Jackson trying a low shot which took a deflection and forced Budtz to make another save as Tamworth started to finally look like going close to breaking their deadlock.
A deadball on the edge of the Trinity box on 65 set up Thornton and the ball struck the underside of the bar but cannoned back out and was cleared.
Thornton stuck from distance on 68 but it cannoned behind for a corner which fell to Preston and was gathered by Budtz.
Hibbert took the ball down from Townsend’s direct pass on 70 but his tumble in the box didn’t result in a penalty then at the other end Belshaw saved his side from Bateson’s free shot inside the box.
After a spell of pressure by The Lambs that saw Adams try and spread the ball around left and right to no avail the home side managed to clear the danger.
The ball fell to Grayson on the left of the area on 75 and his driven effort went just wide of the left hand upright, then at the other end sub Lobjoit misplaced his square ball that probably would have led to Gainsborough’s second of the evening.
With nine to play Thornton was replaced by Simmonds as Hibbert's low shot from 18 yards was pushed around the post for a corner and from a quick break out of midfield, it was four Gainsborough against two from Tamworth but the final shot from Russell was denied by Belshaw once again.
Then, on 86 Green was tripped by Toner and a penalty was awarded and former Trinity player Clarke stepped up and slotted it home low to the keeper’s left. (1-1, 86 mins)
Four minutes added time were indicated at the end of the game and when Davies got the better of Green his shot, from the edge of the box, was thankfully straight into the arms of Belshaw.
And despite a sense of urgency from both sides time ran out and the spoils were shared.

Tamworth Team:
Belshaw, Clarke, Jackson (Taylor 77), Townsend (c.), Preston, Green, Grayson, Purdie, Hibbert, Thornton (Simmonds 81), Daniels (Adams HT)
Subs: Trainer, James
Yellow Cards: Townsend 50
Red Cards: none

Gainsborough Trinity Team:
Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Quinn, Pickton, Russell, Toner, Beesley (Lobjoit 75), Bateson (Stamp 90), Higginson (Davis 57)
Subs: Salt, Roberts
Yellow Cards: Quinn 14
Red Cards: none

Attendance: 324

Referee: Mr. R. Wooton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures