Search results to follow...

Quarter Final success

FT: Banbury United 0    1 Tamworth

04 March 2014

Tamworth progressed to the Semi Finals of this season’s Birmingham County FA Senior Cup courtesy of 1-0 victory at the Spencer Stadium.

The last time that The Lambs faced their opponents on their own turf was in the Southern League around the time of the FA Vase win and boss Dale Belford kept goal while Mark Stanton lead the way up front. This time however, Belford picked the team and included both himself and son Cameron on the bench while Andy Todd took the captain’s armband and Jesse Reindorf and Matthew Barnes-Homer searched for goals.

The solitary goal of the game came from Andy Haworth who showed his early hunger to put the tie to bed with a shot across the face of goal after 5 minutes.
Banbury lost Wayne Blossom after 11 minutes and he left the ground an hour later in an ambulance with his leg strapped up.
Ben Richards-Everton directed a header from a corner wide and on 17 Barnes-Homer’s shot was deflected off Banbury ‘s Ryan and came back off the bar.
Haworth forced the ball home on 23 with a shot from the left of the area that squirmed past Kwame Fordan in the home goal (1-0, 23 mins), and had the keeper not been strong it could have been two a minute later but Reindorf’s chip shot was batted away by Fordah on the edge of the area.
Anthony Obeng tried his luck from distance towards the end of the first half but cleared the goal and stand behind it with a purposefully hit rising effort while another Richards-Everton header from a corner was saved before Kynan Isaac fed Obeng but his shot went into James Wren’s side netting before the half time whistle blew.

HT: Banbury United 0    1 Tamworth

The home side started the second half, but Tamworth exerted early pressure and Haworth again went in search of a goal but fired off target.
Todd struck from distance on the hour but it was relatively easy for Fordah and three yellow cards quickly followed for Isaac (diving in the penalty area) and Haworth and Evans for mistimed tackles.
Reindorf was prevented from notching his first (albeit non first team) strike for The Lambs when a close range finish was blocked by Fordah on 75.
Then, on 78, Connor Collins’ freekick drifted onto the roof of Wren’s net. Byfield replaced Reindorf with 10 to play and immediately set up Evans with what seemed like a golden opportunity to double The Lambs lead and take the pressure off in the final throws of the game, but the final shot did not come out of the barrel in a straight line and curled away from the far post.
Wren had to be strong to deny Tanasheh Abrahams drive while Haworth’s run and shot looked promising but brought nothing.
Banbury threatened one last time before the final whistle blew when a deep freekick fell dangerously in the box but the resulting header went awry and any hopes of a last minute equaliser to force extra time in the ever decreasing temperatures were dashed.
Tamworth will face Hednesford at The Lamb in the Semi Finals – date TBA.

Tamworth Team:
Wren, Evans, Aimson, Keane, Reindorf (80 Byfield), Richards-Everton, Baker-Richardson (Fenton 90), Baker, Haworth, Todd, Barnes-Homer
Subs (Five in total): Belford C., Belford D., Oliver Parks

Banbury United Team:
Fordah, Cray,Abrahams, Isaac, Blossom (Thomas 11), Ryan, Pinto, Collins, Evangelinos (Bevis 83), Obeng, Talabi
Subs (Four in total): Mullarkey, McNulty

Attendance: 0

Referee: Mr. G. Taylor

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures