Search results to follow...

Nuneaton fumble the win

FT: Nuneaton Town 1    0 Tamworth

11 March 2014Tamworth travelled to The Sperrin Brewery stadium to face in form Nuneaton Town.
The gap between the two sides in the league was evident for all and Kevin Wilkin’s in form side were looking to continue their push towards securing a play off position while Dale Belford’s squad would, with the backing of a fair sized and vocal away following, be hoping for three points in their quest to leave the relegation zone as quickly as possible.
Tamworth got the game underway kicking away from the vociferous travelling Lambs fans behind them and Thornton quickly forced a corner on the left but it was cleared by the Town defence.
A cross from York to Sleath on 3 forced Keane to clear his lines and from the ensuing play Richards-Everton dinked the ball over and down the left wing but it was just too long for Thornton. Belford punched a left wing cross clear on 10 and Keane had to be quick to clear his lines again as Brown closed down and Brown tried a curling low shot from the edge of the area on 11 but could only put it into the arms of the keeper.
But Belford was not able to stop Delfouneso scoring the opening goal in extraordinary circumstances when Delfouneso hit the ball goalward in a perfect arc from fully 40 yards and it looked like the keeper would collect it easily, but it slipped through his fingers and over his shoulder into the net. (0-1, 13 mins)
Nuneaton captain Dean took one for the team and picked up a yellow card, halting a Lambs attack in midfield. Kerry managed to work his way into the box on 18 but he wasn’t allowed time to shoot and the ball was scrambled away from danger.
One Andy replaced another on 24 as Todd replaced Howarth but before The Lambs could regroup York fired from the edge of the area and struck the right hand upright after a well worked move. The Lambs tried to pressurise from a right sided flag kick on 35 gut the final ball was long and Belshaw was able to collect easily.
Kerry threaded the ball through to Godden on 37 and the striker lifted his shot over Belshaw but just onto the roof of the net.
Belford tipped Streete’s header over the bar on 39 and Mahon had to clear the resulting flag kick away for another which Evans was equal to.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Nuneaton Town 1    0 Tamworth

The home side restarted proceedings and after a brief spell at Belford’s end of the field, Todd forced a corner on the left which Richards-Everton got his head to but it bounced out past the far post.
The 109 travelling fans saw a lot of the ball at their end in the opening 10 minutes of the second period but Belshaw wasn’t really tested and Nuneaton looked dangerous when they got into the final third but The Lambs defence held strong.
A foul on former Nuneaton man Thornton by one-time Lamb Trainer set up the latest Lambs addition from 30 yards but Belshaw was happy to let the ball skip past the right hand post and out to safety.
Todd was also happy to see the ball out for a corner on 62 and Richards-Everton’s header was flicked out for another on the opposite side but the second flag kick failed to go as close.
Evans prevented a shot from Hibbert with a hefty challenge on the edge of the area and the home striker definitely felt the challenge as play continued at the other end with Barnes-Homer beating the offside trap to try and square for Godden, but the ball ran out of play for a goal kick.
A home attack was thwarted with a last ditch kick away from danger for a Nuneaton corner on the right on 73 and Townsend slid in to head it away from danger for another corner which was wasted.
The ball from the goal kick was knocked on by Kerry and Godden pulled it back for Todd to strike but it came back off a covering defender and play quickly switched went to the other end with a corner which was cleared.
Todd came off to be replaced by Reindorf with 15 to go and The Lambs rearranged to three up front, forcing the play into the final third of the field.
A corner from Thornton fell to Mahon past the far post and his chip was headed away from danger under the corner of bar and post before being booted away.
Belford punched a driven shot from Walker away from the target on 80 as Nuneaton enjoyed a spell in front of their ‘behind the goal’ fans.
A long kick from Belford was controlled by Kerry and he rolled it left to Godden who cut in a fired a shot away but it was always going wide of the mark and Belshaw was happy to let it go.
Another left sided corner was forced against Evans’ strong defending on 85 but again the home side were unable to make anything of it and Tamworth pushed up field until a foul by Reindorf halted play.
A flurry of home pressure forced more corners and four minutes added tie was shown at the end of the game before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:
Belford, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Thornton, Godden, Aimson (Townsend 67), Haworth (Todd 24, Reindorf 75), Barnes-Homer, Evans, Mahon, keane
Subs: Baker, Richards

Nuneaton Town Team:
Belshaw, Delfouneso (Walker 57), Streete, Cowan, Dean, Trainer, Sleath, Armson, Hibbert (Moult 82), Brown, York
Subs: Gordon, Taylor, Adams

Attendance: 1097

Referee: Bromley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures