Search results to follow...

Seven up but not enough for Lambs

FT: Tamworth 3    4 Chester FC

25 February 2014Dale Belford made two changes to the side that had suffered defeat to Welling at the weekend, with Lloyd Kerry taking a place on the bench and Chris Palmer not featuring in the squad. Jack Evans and Nick Chadwick came into the eleven for the visit of Chester with both sides needing the points for exactly the same reason – to try and get out of the bottom four.
The Lambs got the game underway attacking the Castle End of the ground and an early shout for a penalty was waved away when Godden diverted the ball into the box and appeals for handball against the visiting defence were half heartedly heard.
On 10 Godden missed a right footed shot from 12 yards after Chadwick made space down the right into the box and cut the ball back for the striker but the resulting effort went over the bar by a few inches.
Chadwick had to be replaced by Haworth as the striker left the field holding his hamstring on 15. A corner for the visitors nearly brought a goal when Brown’s header skimmed off a defender and out for a corner on the car park side of the ground.
Richards-Everton headed it strongly away but it came straight back into the box and when Rooney got it at his feet on the left of eth box he threaded the pass into the path of Taylor who nipped it home past The Lambs defence and static keeper. (0-1, 23 mins)
Evans drilled a low ball from the right wing on 27 as Tamworth went in search of a quick response and a similar ball from Haworth from the left on 28 came but both times the Chester defence cleared. Rooney extended the visitors lead with a left footed shot from the right of the box from 25 yards which flew into the bottom left hand corner with Belford at full stretch. (0-2)
Godden forced a good save from Chapman from the restart but the score became 0-3 on 33 when Taylor took full advantage of a mix up at the back and prodded the ball past the exposed Belford from 18 yards out.
Townsend was unable to continue on the field so Todd came on to replace him on 38 and Chester won a corner on the right which The Lambs cleared, but only as far as Chester’s Mahon who forced a fine stop from Belford with a 20 yard shot at chest height.
The Lambs pulled one back on 43 when Peniket skipped along the right by line and squared for Todd who pushed it through to Godden to net his second in two outings. (1-3, 43 mins)
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half.
A freekick from Rooney was headed at goal by Seddon but Belford was equal to the flicked effort and a similar freekick from the right a minute later was met by the head of Seddon again but Belford was equal to it again.
Todd found Peniket on the right and he in turn found Godden for a header at goal at the far post, but the Chester defence cleared and the half ended.

HT: Tamworth 1    3 Chester FC

The visitors got the game underway but an early freekick gave Tamworth the advantage.
However, a high boot on Linwood by Mahon saw him pick up a yellow card on 46. A freekick the other way in a similar position on 50 saw the ball skip through everyone in the box and a minute later Hildreth was booked for a foul on Chester’s Mahon.
Rooney tried to add to the scoreline with the freekick but curled the effort wide of the mark and Seddon beat the offside trap in the next move but pulled his shot wide of the far post. Taylor bagged his hattrick on the hour after good control and a close range angled finish past Belford after controlling the chipped pass over The Lambs back line from Rooney. (1-4, 60 mins)
On 72 the Lambs made their final change of the game with Reindorf coming on for Hildreth. Todd fired low from the edge of the area on 74 and forced Chapman to spill the shot.
Godden put the ball into the net to reduce the arrears on 76, taking the ball into the box and around the committed keeper before shooting into the back of the net from 6 yards. (2-4, 76 mins)
Close control from the same player set up Peniket with a right footed strike from 18 yards and Chapman pushed it away from danger at his left hand post.
And then it became 3-4 was a flick header from Godden was held up by Reindorf and played into the path of Peniket who drive the ball into the bottom corner from 18 yards (3-4, 82 mins) Reindorf was yellow carded for a foul on the half way line on 85 which disrupted the Lambs play somewhat in the quest for a fourth.
Five minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Belford had to watch a freekick from the visitors go over the wall before he could grasp it firmly to his chest and get play going again. And despite a purposeful intent to get to the top of the pitch, a last minute equaliser was not to be.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Townsend (Todd 38), Richards-Everton, Godden, Peniket, Fenton, Chadwick (Haworth 15), Hildreth (Reindorf 72), Mahon (c.), Keane

Subs: Kerry, Baker-Richardson

Chester FC Team:

Chapman, Turner, Killock, Brown, Linwood, Rooney, Bond, Jarrett, Mahon (Menagh 70), Seddon, Taylor

Subs: Danby, Mainwairing, Linfield, Daniels

Attendance: 1036

Referee: Mr. D. Handley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures