Search results to follow...

Lambs point the way out of danger

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Hyde FC

11 February 2014

After the cancellation of the away match at Luton, The Lambs had to battle not only the elements, but the live match on the TV and welcomed struggling Hyde.
But it was testament to the hard work of a band of volunteers that litres of water were removed from the bottom end of the ground during the afternoon preceding kick off.
Dale Belford made two changes to the side that ran out at Grimsby a fortnight previously with new loan signing from Nott’m Forest Kieran Fenton taking to the field for the first time and David Morgan also joining in the starting line up for the first time since the December 21 defeat at Aldershot.
Hyde got the game underway attacking the Castle End of the ground. An early shot from Morgan took a wicked deflection and looped up and down into goalkeeper Ketting’s arms.
A right footed shot from Carlton from the right edge of the box dropped invitingly into Belford’s arms on 9 and on 10 Thomas was adjudged to have brought down Thurston in the area giving the referee no hesitation to point to the spot. Spencer stepped up to shoot from the spot but chipped his effort over the bar with Belford committed to his left. (0-0) In the next move a superb ball to Chadwick saw the striker denied by the post as his header looked to be going in but rebounded out.
Baker then got on the end of a deep ball into the area but was denied by Kettings and Spencer broke through to fire low at Belford who rifled his low shot on target this time but saw it pushed away by Belford. Spencer had a header on target from the next move but was denied by Evans goalline clearance.
Brown flicked his header up and goalward on 18 only to see Belford tip it over the bar. The half hour mark came and went as both sides struggled to make anything count in the final third.
A free kick for Hyde on 34 saw Blakeman strike the deadball around the wall and into the hands of Belford, and play quickly switched to the other end where Byfield forced a corner and Fenton’s ball to the far post was smothered at the third attempt by Kettings.
Morgan forced another on the right on 36 but it came to nothing and when Keane miss kicked a clearance from the resulting goal kick it fell to Carlton but his shot was wild.
When Richards was released into the area on 40, he was tripped by Brizzell and this set up Chadwick to try his luck from the penalty spot, but his low kick to the bottom left was pushed away by Kettings and so the scoreline remained barren. However, in the next move Chadwick’s ball from the right wing was met with a purposeful header a few yards out and Kettings was unable to stop it going past him. (1-0, 44 mins)
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Hyde FC

The Lambs got the second half underway and two excellent chances for Chadwick straight off but first is mis-controlled and second rolls wide of the mark so it remained 1-0.
The visitors offside trap was becoming increasingly difficult to beat and Chadwick and Richards both fell foul of a high back line. Dale Belford made two changes just short of the hour mark and it disrupted the forward play for a time, allowing the visitors to have more of the ball in the Lambs half of the field. Evans did manage to get a powerful strike towards goal and this spurred the Lambs back into action but the Hyde defence proved too strong for a pass looking for Todd.
Hyde equalised on 70 after Keane fouled 25 yards out and Brizzell fired his freekick into the back of the net via a slight deflection off the wall which left Belford unable to react fully to the change in direction. (1-1, 70 mins)
Todd ran through and found Chadwick who in turn found Richards who in turn found Palmer on 80 but the latter’s shot from the left of the area went wide of the near post.
Tamworth lay siege to the visitors goal from then on and the home fans tried to gee them up with some noise from The Shed, but the final touch seemed to be evading everyone.
A corner came on 85 but when Palmer found Chadwick with the ball back in, his shot on the volley flew high over the bar.
A few more shots rained in and Fenton made a mazy run but was blocked as he shaped to shoot as four minutes added time was shown.
Fenton was then brought down on the edge of the area attempting the same sort of jink past the defenders and Brown was booked so Fenton struck the deadball well enough but Kettings was able to smother it at his near post and the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Baker, Richards, Byfield (Todd 59), Thomas, Fenton, Chadwick, Mahon, Morgan (Palmer 58), Keane
Subs: Townsend, Richards-Everton, Capaldi

Hyde FC Team:
Kettings, Brizzell (Day 88), Blakeman (Thornton HT), Haining, Lomax, Thurston, Poole, Brown, Spencer, Carlton, Hughes
Subs: Clark, Pollard, Kirby

Attendance: 616

Referee: Mr. J. Whiteley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures