Search results to follow...

Lambs tame The Bulls

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Hereford United

18 April 2014

Despite having nothing to play for other than pride as far as Tamworth FC was concerned, The Lambs still had a part to play in the season as both Good Friday’s visitors Hereford and Monday’s opponents Dartford were still scrapping for all available points in a bid to get away from the drop zone before the final whistle blew on the season.

Boss Belford made no changes to the side that ran out winners over Hednesford Town in midweek with Byfield coming in on the bench for Vanderhyde who had returned to Leyton Orient briefly. Hereford got the game underway and Tamworth kicked up hill towards the massed Bulls fans and the away fans were loud in their support of an early chance from a left wing cross.
The Lambs were not giving anything away unnecessarily though and Peniket forced a corner on 10 and the ball came across to Evans who put a difficult ball into the box for Lloyd-Weston to catch at height.
On 16 Belford prevented Smith from notching the opening goal with a block with his legs after James had nodded the ball into the box.
Rankine unleashed a right footed half volley from 30 yards on 24 but it flew over the bar and out of the ground through a gap between the top of the fence and the advertising hoardings. Hereford were forced to play with 10 for a time as Collins received treatment for a head injury, but there was no disadvantage felt and Belford prevented Smith from scoring, saving his angled shot with his feet.
Peniket dragged the ball back in the right of the box for Reindorf and his low angled drive from was tipped away from the run of Batis-Cande by the keeper for a corner on 36 but the flagkick came to nothing.
Bowen spun and shot from the left of the Lambs area, just wide of the left hand post and on 40 Peniket struck the outside of the right hand post with a powerful drive from the right of the Bulls box. Batis-Cande was booked for a challenge on Graham on 44 and one minute added time was shown at the end of the half.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Hereford United

The Lambs got the second half underway and on 50 Belford denied Rankine’s run with a brave save at his feet and then Kerry struck the post from distance and it rebounded into the area but was cleared away.
In the next move, at the other end, Smith got the better of Richards-Everton but he fired past the far right post.
A deep cross from Caprice went onto the head of Reindorf and over the bar on 60 but the next move saw Kerry forge an opening for himself on the edge of the box and his twisted past two Bulls defenders before firing low into the back of the net to give The Lambs the lead, (1-0, 62 mins)
A good blocking tackle by Peniket on 64 allowed the striker to advance on goal and his low shot towards the far post saw the keeper tip it out past he post on the clubhouse side of the touch line, but the resulting corner was given on the main stand side much to the bemusement of the home faithful.
Smith was denied yet again by Belford on 71, this time a long range low strike that the keeper smothered at his near post.
Tamworth forced two corners in quick succession on 74 but they came to nothing and when Hereford broke down the right Richards-Everton picked up a booking for his challenge.
Play was halted briefly when Belford informed the referee that an object had been thrown into the penalty area by the Hereford fans and the corner that came into the box after play restarted was cleared.
The ball bounced around the area and looked to be heading goalward on 80 but Belford was strong and leapt onto the loose ball with bots and bodies flying all around him.
Hoban replaced Batis-Cande on 86 and was booked on 88 for a hefty tackle on Smith.
Five minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Reindorf had to be replaced by Chadwick.
Smith struck a powerful effort from 20 yards and Belford scooped it away from danger before the final whistle blew on a heartily deserved victory.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Reindorf (Chadwick 90), Richards-Everton, Kerry, Thornton Caprice, Peniket, Woolery, Batis-Cande (Hoban 84), Keane

Subs: Baker, Byfield, Morgan

Hereford United Team:

Lloyd-Weston, Lead-bitter (Bush 57), James, Graham, Purdie, Smith, Collins, Rankine, Artus (Walker 69), Bowen (Brown 70), Murphy

Subs: Edge, Williams

Attendance: 1154

Man of the Match: Cameron Belford

Referee: Mr J. Whitley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures