Search results to follow...

A vital Barnes-Home(r) win

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Aldershot Town

08 March 2014

With Chester defeating Dartford on the Friday evening, the pressure continued to mount on Dale Belford and his squad as they faced Aldershot in another 6 pointer with both sides needing the points to try and get out of the relegation zone as soon as possible.
Belford made one change to the side that lost to Halifax with Todd taking a place on the bench as loan signing Jake Caprice, from Blackpool made his debut on the right of midfield.
The Shots got things underway with The Lambs attacking the away end in the first half. A ball through to Barnes-Homer on 7 nearly came off for The Lambs but Aldershot broke through Taiwo and Evans prevented the cross by conceding a corner in the process but the visitors wasted it by fouling after the kick had been taken.
A Shots freekick from the right was glanced back to Cam Belford by Evans with a misplaced header on 10.
The first real glimpse of a breakthrough came on 18 when Godden received the ball from Mahon through the centre, but the offside flag prevented a goal and Godden had already fired off target anyway.
Howarth tried a curling shot from the left wing on 22 and Martin in the opponents goal caught it away to his left at the far post. Williams made a good turn in the box and forced Belford into a strong stop on 29 before Mahon clashed going for the rebound and the referee’s whistle halted play.
Mahon picked up a yellow card or a late challenge on Taiwo on 33. Scott was booked for kicking the ball away on 42 and on 43 Kerry was penalised for a late tackle on Gibbs as the Aldershot player made headway down the right wing. Williams got his head to the dead ball but lifted it over the bar.
The Lambs immediate went back to the other end and Godden hit a low shot from 25 yards which would have beaten Martin but it crept just wide of the left hand upright before the half time whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Aldershot Town

Tamworth got the second half underway and in the 50th minute, after prolonged Aldershot pressure, Belford was forced to get down at his near post and push Roberts’ half volley out for a corner.
On 53 Bubb was yellow carded for trying to kick the ball out of Belford’s reach as he took a goalkick out of his hands and caught the keeper in the process.
A slip in the Aldershot back line allowed Barnes-Homer to nip into the box and take a shot at goal on 57 but he was prevented opening the scoring by the feet of Martin after he tried to place the ball past the keeper.
Caprice was booked for a late challenge on Roberts on 59 and was replaced by Todd before play could restart.
Evans threaded the ball through to Barnes-Homer on 62 but he lifted his shot from the right of the box high and wide of the target.
Williams curled a shot wide of the mark on 66 but it had taken a slight deflection on the way through so a corner was the result but it was too long for anyone to get to and Belford restarted play with a goalkick.
The Shots were awarded a dangerously close freekick on 68 which Roberts put into the arms of Belford and when the keeper launched it downfield it bounced once and Barnes-Homer nipped in to prod it past a bamboozled and static Shots defence (1-0, 69 mins) Williams saw the headlines before he took his shot on 74 and so ballooned his effort off his right boot and miles off target from 18 yards out.
Aldershot sub Mekki forged his way down the right and powered a cross into the box and forced a corner on 77 which Stanley headed goalward at the far post and Belford pushed it away before Taiwo followed up from 18 yards and cleared the bar with ease.
With time ticking away, Godden picked up a booking for booting the ball away and three minutes added time was shown.
Belford made sure of a clearance on the edge of the area with a punch and then a brave boot upfield and the final whistle blew on three much needed points.

Tamworth Team:

Belford C., Evans, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Caprice (Todd 59), Godden, Aimson, Howarth, Barnes-Homer, Mahon (c.), Keane

Subs: Reindorf, Baker, Richards, Wren

Aldershot Town Team:

Martin, Oastler, Tonkin, Stanley, Taiwo, Williams, Bubb, Roberts, Barker, Scott (Mekki 72), Gibbs

Subs: Morris, Webster, Rowlands, Webbe

Attendance: 915

Man of the Match: Lloyd Kerry

Referee: Mr. R. Wigglesworth

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures