Search results to follow...

The foot of Godden brings a point

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Welling United

22 February 2014

On the back of Tuesday night’s home defeat at the hands of Salisbury City, Dale Belford brought in two new faces and made four changes to the starting eleven. Palmer, Richards-Everton and new signing Matthew Godden (from Scunthorpe) came in while Courtney Baker-Richardson took a place on the bench. After being led out by mascots Rebecca and Keeley Hopkins the teams got the formalities out of the way and Tamworth got the game underway kicking towards the Meadow Street End. The visitors had the first chance of the game when Sho-Silva broke through the central / right back position but was unable to get his shot from the edge of the area on target. Sho-Silva saw an opening and tried a snap shot on the half volley on 4 but it was straight at Belford and the keeper grabbed it easily. Fenton’s freekick from the half way line was headed behind for a Lambs corner on 6 but the flag kick was wasted. The Lambs did look positive and pushed forwards when possible for the opening ten minutes, but on 14 Guthrie got his head to a left wing cross and skimmed the ball, via the aid of a deflection, out past the far post and for a Welling corner which Belford punched clear. Palmer took a stray boot in the face from Fazakerley on the Lambs left wing on 19 but picked himself up and misfired the dead ball into the area allowing Welling to clear. Welling forced a corner off the ankles of Townsend and the same player headed it behind for another on the opposite side on 25 and the visiting fans held a minutes applause on the Castle End terrace. With half an hour gone the first shot from The Lambs to force a save from Butcher in the Welling goal came from Keane but the corners didn’t really threaten. A ball from the half way line from Kerry send Peniket chasing down to the edge of the area but he couldn’t get the ball and clipped Butcher on the way past. Beautyman was threaded a pass from Sho-Silva on 32 but the former dragged his shot wide of the mark. Hudson received a talking to from referee Mr. Martin. With four minutes to go until the break Welling took the lead as Guthrie fired low from the left of area into the far right corner after a right wing cross from Beautyman was not dealt with and Belford was beaten by the resulting shot. (0-1, 41 mins) Kerry tried a lob from 30 yards on 43 and struck the bar with his effort and one minute added time was shown at the end of the half.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Welling United

Todd replaced Palmer before Welling got the second half underway but The Lambs came out with renewed vigour and a handball on the right wing gave Fenton a dead ball which Richards-Everton got his head to but it was deflected wide and the corner was poor, allowing Welling to advance up the field. As Sho-Silva burst over the half way line Kerry got in the way and earned himself a booking in the process. From the freekick Guthrie struck the cross bar and Welling put pressure on forcing Belford to protect his goal. A rare flowing move out of midfield ended with Fenton shooting from 25 yards but his effort rose over the bar. Godden was starting to make more meaningful runs down the centre left but was caught the offside trap a couple of times. The same player forced a good save at the near post by Butcher on 67 and Baker-Richardson came on for Hildreth. Todd nearly struck a birthday goal on 72 but was denied by a tackle which put the ball behind for a corner. Even when the ball bobbled around in the box from a deep Lambs freekick on 78 there was no way through and the ball span back into Butcher’s arms from Peniket’s miss hit shot. Fazakerley was booked on 82 and the freekick was hooked back into the box by Todd but Wings captain Lafayette made sure of his clearance. The Lambs equalised on 85 when a deep ball into the box was met by the head of Townsend and Godden stole in at the far post to slam home from close range. (1-1, 85 mins) Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Todd shot for goal in the dying seconds but Reindorf slid in and was unable to turn the ball home for a late winner before the whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:
Belford, Palmer, Townsend, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Godden, Peniket, Fenton, Hildreth (Baker-Richardson 68), Mahon (c.) (Reindorf 83), Keane
Subs: Evans, Rodd, Morgan

Welling United Team:

Butcher, Fazakerley, Obersteller, Gallagher, Mawson, Guthrie (Bender 88), Lafayette (c.), Hudson, Beautyman, Sho-Silva (McLaren 88), Healy

Subs: Turner, Ajala, Day

Attendance: 742

Man of the Match: Lloyd Kerry

Referee: Mr. R. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures