Search results to follow...

Lambs pay the penalty

FT: Barnet 1    0 Tamworth

15 February 2014With the wind behind their backs in the first half, Barnet kicked off proceedings attacking the away end, populated by around 70 travelling Lambs.
In the early exchanges The Bees showed far more purpose and intent as Marsh-Brown and Hyde linked up a number of times moving down the right and into the box but Hyde’s attempts at flicking the ball into the far corner, either with his head or his foot were unsuccessful.
A rare foray forward by Tamworth in the 18th minute resulted in gave an opportunity to take the lead. A ball into the box looking for Richards saw the Lambs forward being pushed away from the ball by Andy Yiadom.
Despite protests from the home team about the penalty decision, Richards stepped up to stike for goal, but the resultant weak strike from the spot was easy for keeper Nick Jupp to smother at his left hand post without much trouble.
Barnet continued to press for the remainder of the first half as Marsh-Brown and Hyde kept on in a similar vein but continued to be unsuccessful in their endeavours until the half time break.

HT: Barnet 0    0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted proceedings and showed a hunger to take an early lead as Baker flashed a shot only just off target.
Despite Tamworth having a bit more of the play in the second period than they had enjoyed in the first, Barnet were once again proving to be a handful and forced a number of corners and in turn brought keeper Belford in to the game.
Thomas was booked on 55 for a foul on Marsh-Brown and shortly afterwards Fenton had to be sure of his clearance away from the attention of the same player.
A couple of Lambs freekicks from 25 yards promised more than they brought, and although Richards did break into the box on 69 his shot from the right of the area was pushed around the post by Judd. In the 84th minute Villa found time and space to get onto the end of a cross from the right and although Belford parried his first shot the all rebounded kindly and he made no mistake with his second bite of the cherry. (0-1, 84 mins).
Barnet went in search of a second goal in the final 6 + 4 added minutes at the end of the game and although Belford’s net did ripple twice, both times the referees assistant’s flag went up both times and kept the winning scoreline a slender one. The second time however, saw Belford booked following an incident which required the referee to act as bouncer!

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Palmer (Todd 77), Townsend, Baker, Richards (Reindorf 84), Thomas, Fenton, Chadwick (Peniket 79), Mahon, Morgan
Subs: Richards-Everton, Keane

Barnet Team:
Jupp, Yiadom, Weston, Saville, Marsh-Brown (Johnson 90), Byrne, Hyde, Villa (Cadogan 87), Vilhete, Stephens, Lopez
Subs: Abdulla, Mengerink

Attendance: 1296

Referee: Mr. B. Huxtable

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures