Search results to follow...

Surf beat turf in QF tie

FT: Grimsby Town 4    1 Tamworth

01 February 2014League form went by the way side at Blundell Park, as Dale Belford's 21st placed Lambs made the journey to North Lincolnshire looking for FA Trophy Quarter Final success against a side that sat in fourth place before the rest of the league kicked off around them.
Belford made three changes to the side that suffered defeat at Wrexham in midweek with Baker, Capaldi and Byfield all starting the match, but the Lambs boss was hopeful that the game would be played in the same way as they were very unlucky not to come away from the Racecourse Ground with at least a point.
Grimsby got the game underway with The Lambs kicking towards the travelling faithful.
Fyfield tried a threaded pass to John-Lewis in the third minute and the latter managed to prod it towards goal, but Belford was happy to see it out past the far post.
The Lambs were trying not to play the ball off the deck and a passing move ended with Evans firing a rising shot over the bar from 18 yards on 7 minutes.
John-Lewis didn't escape a hesitant linesman around the ten minute mark, but he did manage to get a boot onto Hattons through ball on 15 but lifted the ball over the target, sliding in past The Lambs defence to connect.
He did make it count on 18 minutes though when Rodman past the ball through a gap into back four and John-Lewis turned and directed his shot into the bottom left hand corner past Belford. (1-0, 18 mins)
A good run by Richards coupled with Capldi's break down the left forced a corner which Baker sent into the box, but McKeown caught the deadball and the home side looked content to slow things down a little while they held the upper hand in proceedings.
Baker fed Evans on the right of the box on 30 and a freekick was awarded Fyfield, who picked up a yellow card for his efforts,
Byfield tried his luck with a right footed shot from the left channel on the half hour but it was watched out of play by McKeown.
The home side doubled their advantage with 5 minutes to go before the break when a ball over the top from McDonald found Tounkara and he took a touch before firing home from just inside the area. (0-2, 40 mins)
McLaughlin picked up a booking for a tackle from behind on Baker on 43 and stepped up for The Lambs second long range freekick in as many minutes but the home side broke and Tounkara forced a corner.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half.

HT: Grimsby Town 2    0 Tamworth

Tamworth got the second half underway again, but it was Grumsby who forced an early corner via Tounkara's efforts down the left and Kerr fired the ball into box which was cleared away from danger as it was attempted to be forced home.
A hopeful shot from Byfield took a massive deflection to take it out for a corner on the right on 50 and Capaldi sent it onto the head of Chadwick who nodded it against the bar, but the referee had already spotted an infringement and play restarted with McKeown's goalkick.
Chadwick added his tenth of the season from close range on 53 minutes when the ball into the box from the left was not dealt with by the home defence and when it ricocheted off Pearson's shins, the Lambs striker pounced and fired home from 6 yards (1-2, 53 mins)
Evans ball into the box on 63 from the right bypassed everyone and Richards span to shoot but found the last defender well positioned to block him at close range.
Grimsby sub Colebeck picked up a booking on 65 following a trip on Evans setting up Baker with a right footed curler which beat the wall on the edge of the box and dipped just over the bar.
The home side added third on 70 when McLaughlin fired home right footed after Belford had punched the ball away from a right wing cross. (1-3, 70 mins)
The Mariners continued to press from then on with Tounkara looking dangerous s he forced his way through and into the box and a foul by Thomas on the same player on 80 saw Kerr fire the freekick into the box before being replaced.
Evans ball into the far post from the right wing was headed behind as Chadwick raced in but the corner that followed was cleared easily and four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game.
And a quick break away saw the home side notch a fourth via Cook's finish from the centre of the box (1-4, 90 mins)

Tamworth Team:
Belford, Evans, , Kerry, Baker, Richards, Byfield, Capaldi, Thomas, Chadwick, Mahon, Keane
Subs: Townsend, Richards-Everton, Peniket, Todd, Morgan

Grimsby Town Team:

McKeown, Hatton, Kerr (Thanoj 80), Pearson, Disley, McDonald, John-Lewis (Cook 85), Rodman (Colebeck HT), McLaughlin, Fyfield, Tounkara
Subs: Thomas, Hannah

Attendance: 2795

Referee: Mr. D. Handley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures