Search results to follow...

Lambs are Shot down

FT: Aldershot Town 6    0 Tamworth

21 December 2013

The Lambs first away league match for nearly a month took Dale Belford's side to ‘The Electrical Services Stadium' (previously known as The Recreation Ground).
In the only change to the starting eleven to the side that defeated Boston in the FA Trophy the previous week, Lee Hildreth came into the starting eleven after missing a game through suspension.
The game saw Tamworth in 20th take on The Shots in 21st and anything other than a win for The Lambs would mean they spent Christmas in the relegation zone.

With the wind blowing the rain across the ground from the uncovered end towards stand covered home corner of the ground things would inevitably be difficult for the two sides and Tamworth got the game underway kicking towards the home fans, with the travelling support house along the side of the ground.
Tamworth started the brighter of the two sides, possibly helped by the wind, as the ball spent most of the first ten minutes in the home half although Shots keeper Henly was not tested during this period.
Cam Belford did have balls to stop but could do nothing about the 11thminute finish from 18 yards by Oleyeke. His defence had been unable to clear the danger from the left and the shot went past him through a crowded box. (0-1, 11 mins)
Todd struck the top of the woodwork with a right footed strike on 14 that Henly had got a touch on and The Lambs kept up the pressure but they were unable to get past Henly or take control in the swirling wind.
Belford had to be quick to deny the run of Williams on 16, clearing the ball with a sliding boot on the edge of his area after an incisive through ball from O'Brien.
Peniket was then flagged offside as his sliding shot rolled past the right hand post in what was otherwise a good move forwards, but Aldershot continued to look threatening down the right and centre and on 24 Gibbs got the better of the Lambs defence only to plant his cross into the hands of Belford.
Belford again got ahead of the Shots intentions, preventing Roberts connecting with a cross from the left on 27.
But the keeper was left to pick the ball out of the net again on 33 when Molesely waltzed into space and struck from the edge of the box into the far left corner with Belford at full stretch but unable to halt the balls flight into the corner. (0-2, 33 mins)
Molesely struck from 16 yards in the right of the box on 38 and Belford could only parry the effort which was eventually cleared.
A foul by Keane on Molesely 25 yards from the target on 42 allowed The Shots a free strike on goal but Roberts lifted his deadball over the target.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Aldershot Town 2    0 Tamworth

The home side got the game underway in the continuing wind and rain, and on 50 Thomas picked up a booking for a foul on the edge of the area which Oyeleke struck into the wall.
Woolery replaced Todd on 53 but The Lambs were reduced to ten men when Thomas fouled Moleseley on 59 in the area and forced the Aldershot player off on a stretcher.
The foul was inside the area so once play resumed it did so with a penalty which Williams blasted home past Belford to make it 3-0 on 63.
O'Brien then glanced a header inside the near post from a right sided corner to make it 0-4 on 66.
Gibbs saw his right sided shot pushed into the side netting by Belford shortly after as the home side continued to push for more goals.
One more came on 72 when Williams turned in the box and fired home from 12 yards despite the best efforts of Belford (0-5)
The final goal of the afternoon came on 78 when Roberts mopped up, an O'Brien header which Belford parried, from close range to make it 6-0 to the home side.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Richards, Peniket, Capaldi, Todd (Woolery 53), Thomas, Hildreth, Morgan, Keane
Subs: Gudger, Baker, Haworth, Wright

Aldershot Town Team:

Henly, Oastler, Stanley, Webster, Williams, Oyeleke (Rowlands 84), Roberts, Barker, Moleseley (Young 61), Gibbs, O'Brien (Paterson 78)
Subs: Goodmans, L. Williams

Attendance: 1598

Referee: Mr. R. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures