Search results to follow...

Lambs prevent Pilgrims progress

FT: Tamworth 2    0 Boston United

14 December 2013

For the FA Trophy second round visit of Skill Northern side Boston United, Lambs boss made three changes to the side that had run out six days previously in the FA Cup with Duane Courtney and Nick Chadwick ruled out along with the suspended Lee Hildreth.
The Lambs got the game under way kicking towards the Castle End of the ground and immediate went on the offensive, winning a corner inside the second minute from Wayne Thomas' header at the far post but Richards-Everton was unable to head the resultant flag-kick on target at the far post.
Play switched to the other end on 6 and a deep freekick was headed way off target by Piergianni in the left of the Lambs penalty box.
On 9, the ball struck the arm of Kerry in Belford's penalty area but the referee was not having a bean of it, and on 12 a long throw from Capaldi caused problem's while the resulting ball back in allowed Richards-Everton to head goalward but his lofted effort dropped over the bar.
The wind helped to get the ball up and down the pitch quickly and swirl around the box, and on 13 keeper Belford miss-caught  a ball from the left but recovered calmly while opposite number Vince was untroubled by a dipping shot from Morgan on 17 from distance.
As the clock hit 20 minutes, some pressure from The Lambs through Richards and Todd earned a corner which Thomas got his head to and flicked it out past the far post.
On 25 a ball from the left wing was flicked up by the United defence and Vince was able to catch it as it looked to be dropping in to the net.
A threaded ball through the Pilgrims defence gave Richards a half chance but he was unable to get a boot onto the ball and Vince slid out to smother it.
As the half hour came into view, Capaldi saw his wind assisted corner headed away at the far post and on 34 there were shouts for handball when the ball skipped off the surface and bounced up at Piergianni, but referee Barratt was again having none of the optimistic shouts coming largely from the home fans.
At the other end on 36, Ross connected with a left wing cross from Miller but lifted his shot high over the Meadow Street end while on 38 a speculative shot from Ross inside his own half went well wide of the target.
Peniket ran onto Kerry's through ball down the right wing on 40 and cut in to get a shot away at Vince but the keeper was well positioned and gathered the effort.
Indecision between Richards-Everton and Belford on 42 nearly allowed Newsham to slot home amid the confusion but The Lambs were able to clear from inside the box as the United fans tried to will the ball into the net.
One minute added time was shown and ended the half without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Boston United

Boston got the second half underway and Marrs put an early cross into the box forcing Belford to stretch high and catch the ball.
After good forward play out of the midfield on 50, Haworth picked his spot from the edge of the box but it was easy for Vince to get his body behind.
As the hour approached, Kerry sent a teasing cross in from the left and Richards beat his marker to get his head on it.
A foul on the hour on the edge of the Boston penalty area earned the visiting side a booking and set up Peniket with the deadball but he struck it high and wide of the mark.
Keane received Todd's right sided pass on 62 and shot for goal but failed to test Vince but two minutes later Todd opened The Lambs account with a sliding  finish under the advancing Vince after the referee allowed play to go on when Kerry had gone down under a challenge, and Howarth released him down the centre with a pinpoint pass to feet.
Boston's Newsham was forced from the field injured on 72 and Weir-Daley came on in his place .
Kerry won a corner on the right on 72 and it was met by the head of Thomas in the Boston area but direction was lacking and it went out past the far post.
A United shot by Marshall took a deflection for a corner by the clubhouse on 77 which was headed away and cleared down the right and when Todd pulled the ball back for Richards he made no mistake with a right footed finish from the edge of the area past a static keeper to make it 2-0.
Peniket sprinted through to get a low shot at Vince on 81 but the keeper saved it with his feet and the ball went out for a corner.
Kerry dinked a shot towards goal on 88 and Vince was forced to tip it over the bar for a corner, which the keeper collected at height.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and a chance presented itself for Richards but he was unable to get his strike on target and the final whistle blew on victory and progression to the next round.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Richards, Peniket, Capaldi (Woolery 81), Todd, Thomas, Haworth (Wright 90), Morgan, Keane
Subs: Baker, Byfield, Hippolyte

Boston United Team:

Vince, Marrs, Steer, Marshall, Garner, Piergianna, Ross, Hall (Milnes 76), Miller (Sansara 82), Newsham (Weir-Daley 72), Galinski
Subs: Aujla, Fairclough

Attendance: 688

Man of the Match: Bradley Scott Windows chose Justin Richards

Referee: Mr. W. Barratt

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures