Search results to follow...

Mariners do the double

FT: Tamworth 0    2 Grimsby Town

16 November 2013

For the visit of Paul Hurst's fourth placed Grimsby Town, Lambs boss Dale Belford made no changes to the side that had recorded the midweek victory over Alfreton courtesy in no small part to the third consecutive clean sheet and a fourth goal in five outings for Nick Chadwick. The score at Blundell Park a few weeks previously had seen the visitors run out 3-1 home winners but with both teams still involved in the FA Cup the application of both teams to the task in hand would no doubt be increased as players looked to secure their places in forthcoming games in the competition.
The Lambs got the game underway kicking towards the packed out away end and an early long throw was headed clear by Hatton a the far post after McKeown's punch at his near post skimmed off his gloves. Croasdale's resulting corner was headed away strongly.
For the next 5 or so minutes both sides battled hard to get the ball out of midfield and The Lambs did have a bit more of the play in the final third with Hildreth, Richards and Peniket all looking to put crosses or shots in goal, and McDonald's back header from a deep ball into the box almost fooled McKeown as he left it for a corner from which two more were forthcoming, the later from a Peniket header that was headed behind. Peniket got his head onto the final flag kick on 11 but nodded it down into the ground.
At the other end Disley went close at the far post and a freekick from the left by Hatton was batted away by Belford and then booted away by the Lambs before the Mariners could get close.
Play quickly switched to the other end and a corner was awarded on the right which Peniket attempted to force home but Grimsby cleared the danger.
Croasdale was brought down on the half way by Thomas and the latter was awarded a freekick which Capaldi fired long into the box but McKeown was equal to the incoming intentions of Todd.
Great play involving Richards down the left, Chadwick in the center and Hildreth on the edge of the area saw the latter fire at goal right footed on 24 but his shot rose and curled wide of the right hand post.
Thomas sent a ball for Peniket to latch onto on 27 and he got the better of the covering defender to turn in the box but The Mariners worked hard to deny anything further coming from the half chance.
Penkiet again showed skill to turn Kerr inside out and fire from distance, but it was relatively simple for McKeown to drop and smother the long range effort.
A long throw from Courtney fell for Chadwick on 32 and his snap shot struck a visiting player before going out for a corner on the right which caused them to put it back out for one on the left instead however McKeown was happy to catch it at height.
A rare sight of goal at the other end came on 36 when John-Lewis headed it on Hannah but he dragged his shot from the right side of the box wide of the left hand post, although Belford looked to be well placed had it been on target.
Peniket went close again on 42 with a right footed curling shot from the front left corner of the box but his effort went over the corner of bar and post.
Richards hit a similar but slightly lower effort around the right hand post from the left shortly before a minute added time was shown and ended the first half.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Grimsby Town

Grimsby got the second half underway with The Lambs now attacking the Castle End and immediately looked like a team with more purpose than in the first half and after Todd and Richards had tried to combine to feed Chadwick down the right, Grimsby sprinnted to the other end and won a corner which was drilled low into the box and turned home by Disley.
With the visitors on the ascendency The Lambs Thomas brought down Grimsby's Thomas on the left wing and was duly shown a yellow card for his efforts.
In the 64th minute a corner was awarded by the clubhouse and fired low by Croasdale before being cleared but Todd received a booking when play stopped shortly after.
Wright replaced Todd on 69 and Belford was forced in to a good stop at his near post in the next move.
On 72 Hildreth weaved his way into the box and fired right footed over the bar from just short of 18 yards.
Wright burst onto a through balled flicked on by Richards on 74 and shot for goal but only found the side netting.
Former Lamb Rodman came on for the Mariners on 77 and he had to help his newest side defend as Tamworth forced corners in quick succession which caused Grimsby to defend strongly and McKeown to catch the shot from Wright which brought a brief respite to proceedings.
But from a quick break away from some Lambs pressure, Rodman was on hand to finish the move with a low struck finish from 8 yards and double the Mariner's advantage. (0-2, 84 mins)
Four minutes added time was show at the end of the game but there was no comeback and the 506 travelling Mariners celebrated at the final whistle.

Tamworth Team:

Belford C, Richards-Everton, Richards, Courtney, Capaldi, Todd (Wright 69), Thomas, Wright, Chadwick, Hildreth, Croasdale
Subs: Kerry, Baker, Byfield, Keane

Grimsby Town Team:

McKeown, Hatton, Thomas, Kerr (Cook 81), Perason, Colbeck, Disley, Neilson (Rodman 77), McDonald, John-Lewis, Hannah (McLaughlin 87)
Subs: Hearn, Bignot

Attendance: 1306

Man of the Match: Ankerside Shopping Centre chose Richard Peniket

Referee: Mr. L. Swabey

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures