Search results to follow...

Lambs leave Reds feeling blue

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Alfreton Town

12 November 2013

After the jubilations and celebrations following the FA Cup win and the news of the impending TV coverage that followed, Dale Belford's squad were forced to put their boots firmly back on the ground for the visit of mid table Alfreton Town and the return to The Lamb of five ex players.
Belford was without David Morgan and Mark Wright took a place on the bench as Richard Peniket returned from suspension and Ryan Croasdale, on loan from Preston North End.
Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street End of the pitch and for the opening 10 or so minutes it was a very scrappy affair mainly in the middle of the park, with little to report as neither side managed to get a grip on the game or string more than a couple of decent balls together.
A long pass from Thomas at right back looked to be heading for Chadwick's outstretched boot on 14 but it was just too high and long for the forward to reach.
On 22 a foul by Westwood on Chadwick set up Capaldi with a free kick a yard outside the D in the right channel, and Chadwick netted from close range after Atkins was unable to stop the deadball effectively. (1-0, 23 mins)
Richards then nearly doubled the advantage after cutting into the box down the right wing and sliding the ball across goal only to see it go out, just past the far post.
Another foul on the right and another Capaldi freekick caused problems on 27 and when Peniket fell in the area The Lambs may have been awarded a penalty on another day.
On 35 Speight turned well enough but flashed his right footed half volley shot into the advertising hoardings high about the castle End terrace and when he beat the offside trap by on 37 he looked to be clean through on goal but shot too soon and too wildly, failing to test Belford from 18 yards and his shot stayed low and went wide of the right hand post before crashing back off the hoardings.
Not to be outdone with wild shooting, Richards-Everton showed a defenders shooting touch and launched the ball into the gardens behind the away end.
Peniket whipped a cross from the left through the box on 40 but it was touched behind for a corner on the right which came to nothing.
Todd picked up a booking for a challenge in the Alfreton area on 43, and Crosdale gave away a foul midway into the Lambs half but McGrath's freekick was headed away and the danger was squashed.
One minute stoppage time was shown at the end of the first half which ended with The Lambs in the lead.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Alfreton Town

Alfreton got the second half underway and after five minutes of the game The Lambs started to turn up the heat, winning a corner on the left which forced Shaw to clear to McGrath but Bradley's replacement, Meadows was unable to control the pass.
When Belford punched out of his area and Shaw tried to lob home the rebound on 50 he just cleared the target with his dinked dropping shot.
Shaw struck a right footed drive at Belford from 18 yards on 57 and the keeper was equal to it, batting it away from danger for a throw in.
Both sides continued to try and work the ball in all areas of the park but a foul by Kerry on the half way line earned him a yellow card on 67, 6 minutes after coming on.
Belford pushed a long cross come shot by Meadows onto the bar with his fingertips on 71 and before the corner could be taken both sides made a change.
A bizarre not a corner / corner decision when Rowe-Turner had clearly headed behind his own goal for a flag kick allowed The Lambs to put pressure on Atkins goal but no one was able to force the ball home from a yard out on 77 and a fourth booking was forthcoming on 78 when Hildreth followed Richards.
Clayton picked up a booking for a foul on Richards-Everton and from the ensuing play Kerry found space on the right of the box to strike at Atkins, but the rebound from the keeper went back out in between both the incoming Lambs forwards and was cleared.
Shaw was allowed to shoot but failed to find the target on 84 as the visitors looked to get something late on.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and the Lamsb made on final change with less than 90 seconds left on the clock.
Meadows was given one final chance of the game when a throw fell to him in the box and he sliced his effort over the bar and the referee eventually blew his whistle for The Lambs three points.

Tamworth Team:

Belford C, Richards-Everton, Richards (Byfield 90), Courtney, Capaldi (Keane 71), Todd, Thomas, Wright, Chadwick, Hildreth, Croasdale (Kerry 61)
Subs: Wren, Wright

Alfreton Town Team:

Atkins, Wood, Rowe-Turner, Fenton, Westwood, Shaw, Bradley (Meadows HT), Law (Taylor 83), McGrath, Akinde (Clayton 71), Speight
Subs: Franklin, Wylde

Attendance: 716

Man of the Match: Chosen by Polesworth Garage: Wane Thomas

Referee: Mr. R. Joyce

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures