Search results to follow...

Into Round 2!

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Cheltenham Town

09 November 2013

FA Cup with Budwieser fever hit The Lamb once again as Dale Belford's squad welcomed The Robins of Cheltenham Town, for the 1st Round Proper tie.
Belford welcomed Wayne Thomas back into the squad alongside Andy Todd and Mark Wright as Lateef Elford-Alliyu and Jordan Keane took a place on the bench, while Richard Peniket sat out due to suspension.
The Robins got the game underway attacking the Castle End of the ground in the first half and the Shed competed with the visiting fans for audio supremacy as, for the first five minutes of the game Tamworth found themselves having to work to keep the ball out of their own half.
As the game continued The Lambs started to find more space to fill with their game and a ball into the box from Capaldi was just too high for Chadwick to get his head onto, allowing Brown to restart proceedings with a goal kick.
A foul on the right wing allowed Capaldi to fire in a freekick which Richards-Everton got a touch on and Todd followed up but was unlucky to see his close range attempt come back off the cross bar.
Wright struck from the left of the box on 14 and saw his shot rise over the target and Richards found space to fire low from the left a couple of minutes later, but his ball was cut out and Morgan struck the corner but it was cleared.
Wright was booked for a late challenge on Braham-Barrett on 17, and after Gornell had struck an off target shot over the bar for the visitors The Lab erupted.
Chadwick finished the move to open the scoring by side footing the ball past Brown after Richards looked up and rolled the ball calmly to set up the strike. (1-0, 19 mins)
Deering was brought down by Morgan on the half way line on 25 and the referee duly produced a second yellow card of the afternoon.
Although goalmouth action was not readily forthcoming the home crowd were enjoying the display being given by the side on the field which was strong, determined and not complacent, and most importantly prevented the visitors from getting a much of a foot hold over the half way line.
Cam Belford needed a quick burst of treatment a minute or two prior to the half time board going up, and Cureton nearly slotted the ball past the home keeper and out past the far post in the closest that The Robins had come.
Gornell then flicked a header into the arms of the Belford and play quickly switched to the other end by Richards was beaten to the long ball by the Cheltenham defence.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Cheltenham Town

The Lambs got the game underway after break and immediately put pressure on the Robins defence, but a long kick from Brown forced a corner at the other end and Belford had to punch the ball clear from under his own bar and Richards-Everton flicked a dangerous Braham-Barrett cross away for a throw on 50 which Elliot headed past the far post.
A long Capaldi throw on 52 caused problems, and defender Brown dive headed the pink FA Cup ball clear of danger with little thought for his own personal safety.
A cross from Harrison onto the head of Gornell saw the latter place his effort at Belford on 56 while at the other end, Wright crossed from the clubhouse side of the ground and Elliott was forced to head the ball away, from inside the six yard box.
A enforced ‘slip' by Courtney put the ball out for a corner on the left on 59 and Elliot struck a volley from 18 yards only for Belford to tip the ball over the bar for another flag kick and Chadwick headed it away strongly but the ball came back in and skipped out past the far post much to the relief of the home faithful.
Belford then picked up a booking for time wasting.
Todd's surging run through the middle on 63 was unrewarded as the final ball to Richards went awry and the former was forced from the field with a cut to his face.
On 65 the ball fell quickly for Richards to head at goal from six yards out, but he was unable to get the right direction on it and Cheltenham escaped.
A deep freekick from the half way line by visiting Richards bounced through the box on 68 and Belford had to be quick to deny, and then a quick break by the visitors saw Cureton run through one on one, but he put the ball wide of the mark from 25 yards out.
Tamworth were forced to ride more pressure from the visitors as the game entered the final quarter and it really was backs against the wall stuff until the ball did manage to break through for Morgan who was only denied by the feet of keeper Brown, with Todd following up but firing well wide of the mark.
Richards broke over the half way line on 86 and went one on one with keeper Brown but his shot went wide of the mark and the same player crossed for Todd to head at goal but Brown was perfectly positioned to palm it away from danger.
There were shouts for a Cheltenham penalty in a crowded area as the five minutes of added time ticked towards full time but there referee waved the shouts away and the final whistle eventually blew to put The Lambs into the next round.

Tamworth Team:

Belford C, Richards-Everton, Richards, Courtney, Capaldi, Todd, Thomas, Wright, Chadwick, Hildreth, Morgan
Subs: Kerry, Baker, Byfield, Higgins, Elford-Alliyu, Belford D, Keane

Cheltenham Town Team:

Brown S., Lowe, Taylor, Brown T., Cureton, Deering (Kotwica 81), Harrison, Gornell, Richards, Penn, Braham-Barrett
Subs: Elliott, Roberts, Hanks, Jombati, Vincent, Williams

Attendance: 1566

Man of the Match: Cotterill Fencing chose Lee Hildreth

Referee: Mr R. Clark

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures