Search results to follow...

Hatters win the best of seven

FT: Tamworth 3    4 Luton Town

19 October 2013

After the two goal reversal to the hands of The Wings of Welling seven days previously, Dale Belford made two changes to the starting eleven to face Luton Town who came to The Lamb with around 1200 fans and an unbeaten run of seven games.
With Conor Gudger ruled out and Jack Evans on the medium to long term injury list Mark Wright came back into the line up alongside youth loan signing Ryan Higgins.
The Lambs got the game underway kicking towards the massed ranks of the travelling contingent in the Meadow Street End and immediately won a corner on the right however. Capaldi fired it long and out past the far post to give Tyler a goal kick.
A pull on Gray as he tried to burst through the Lambs back line was picked up by the referee on 5 and set up Whalley with a freekick but it was poor and easily cleared.
Baker tried his luck with a left sided deadball on 7 but the Luton defence held strong and McNulty hoofed it clear from the edge of the area.
A couple of niggly fouls, one from each side, caused brief halts in processings as the clock hit 10 minutes and this seemed to spur the home side on and so, on 13 minutes, Courtney gave The Lambs the lead.
Elford-Alliyu made a darting run into the box from the right channel and beat his man before pulling it back for the incoming Courtney who made no mistake with a low shot into the bottom right hand corner past Tyler (1-0, 13 mins)
Elford-Alliyu tried his luck from 25 yards on 19 with a right footed effort from a central position and it took a deflection out past the right hand upright.
Todd set up Peniket with a very good chance on 24 but the striker was unable to get any power behind his effort and Tyler saved easily.
Gray had the first real shot, off target, on 25 and Higgins found himself with a sight on goal from 20 yards on 29, but lifted it out of the ground in the process.
At was all square on 32 though when Smith hit a scorching pile driver from 30 yards which absolutely flew into the back of the net giving Belford no chance. (1-1, 32 mins)
A good cross from the right wing by Todd on 38 was headed away and Kerry nodded it straight back in but when it came back out for Baker he was unable to get his right footed volley from the edge of the area on target.
Capaldi was penalised for a push of Whalley on 39 and Guttridge set up the dead ball on the right channel just outside the area.
Andy Parry put the visitors in the lead on 42 with a similar strike from a similar distance to his team mate's earlier strike but this time from a central position and Belford was unable to get anywhere near it as it flew inside the left hand post.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the first half.

HT: Tamworth 1    2 Luton Town

Dale Belford made two changes at half time, bringing Chadwick and Hildreth on for Todd and Baker but the scoreline went from being a slender lead to a bigger ask as a deep freekick found Benson at the far post and he headed home under pressure. (1-3, 46 mins)
Gray missed two chances to make it even worse for The Lamb in 47 and 48 with a misplaced header followed by a misplaced lob.
Chadwick fell under pressure in the box on 50 but the referee was having none of the appeal for a penalty but it was too easy when Gray broke through to beat Richards-Everton and Benson was given the easy task of an unmarked finish from 8 yards past the exposed Belford (1-4, 54 mins)
Wright was able to get a shot away under pressure on 58 but Tyler was perfectly positioned to drop and smother the shot.
At the other end on 62, Smith tried to add another to his tally with a long range strike which Belford punched away to safety.
Elford-Alliyu pulled one back from the penalty spot on 64 after a foul by Griffiths brought him to the floor, and Richards came on for Wright before the visitors restarted proceedings.
Kerry span a right sided cross onto the head of Hildreth on 70 but it curled into the hands of Tyler.
A grandstand finish was set up by The Lambs captain when a corner came over and was not dealt with effectively by the Hatters defence allowing Courtney to fire home from close range with an improvised over the shoulder finish. (3-4, 77 mins)
Higgins and Kerry combined to win a corner on 82 and it was cleared but Hildreth curled a cross in from the left which was headed behind for a corner which fell for Chadwick with his back to goal and h span on the ball and got a shot away but lifted it over the bar from 6 yards out.
The rain came down heavily to make the pitch slippy in the final few minutes and a long ball to the edge of the box allowed Chadwick a glancing header but it whistled wide of the right hand upright.
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game as the rain got heavier and heavier causing fans to dart for cover where possible,
The 1199 Luton fans held their breath as Tamworth won a corner on the left and caused some problems in the Hatters penalty area with sustained pressure but there was no final strike and the final whistle blew with Tamworth on the wrong end of a seven goal thriller.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Baker (Hildreth HT), Courtney, Peniket, Capaldi, Todd (Chadwick HT), Higgins, Elford-Alliyu, Wright (Richards 65)
Subs: Regan, Woolery

Luton Town Team:

Tyler, Smith, McNulty, Griffiths, Parry, Guttridge (Lawless 72), Whalley, Henry, Benson, Gray (Charles 87), Lacey
Subs: Cullen, Justham, Robinson

Attendance: 2066

Man of the Match: Central Maintenance chose Lloyd Kerry

Referee: Mr. R. Whitton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures