Search results to follow...

Solid display brings victory

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Macclesfield Town

05 October 2013

Lambs boss Dale Belford made no changes to the side that suffered defeat by the odd goal in four at Grimsby seven days previously with only one change on the bench - Louis Harris coming in for Jordan Rose.
Although there were a number of meetings between the two sides in the Northern Premier League days three decades ago, this was only the second time The Silkmen had visited the Lamb in the Conference and both Belford and opposite number John Askey were looking for three points to push their respective sides away from the bottom end of the table.
Macclesfield kicked off the game towards the Castle End with Richards-Everton sporting Peter Czech style head protection.
An early chance fell for Todd at the far post when Wright's ball across from the left was flicked on by a defender and Todd struck on the volley but Taylor was equal to his effort and the covering defenders cleared.
On 4, a long throw from Capaldi on the left caused problems and when the ball ran free for Wright in the left of the box he was only able to find the side netting.
The strong start continued with Peniket and Wright linking well down the left, but the latter's final ball went awry.
Macclesfield were barely getting a touch in the Lambs half but did win a corner on 13 in their first real foray into the final third and Courtney headed the danger clear.
GOAL! Elford Alliyu netted his first goal for The Lambs on 15 with a fine strike from distance after picking the ball up out of midfield and hitting a right footed shot past the dive of Taylor and in off the right hand post. (1-0, 15 mins)
Kerry struck a hopeful shot from the right trying to catch Taylor unawares but the keeper was equal to his strike on 20.
A superb through ball from Kerry over the top to Peniket gave the Lambs striker a good chance to lob the keeper from distance but despite his best effort his attempted lob of the in coming custodian lifted over the bar.
Peniket made a darting run down the right shortly after and his square ball to Baker was only just cut out and forced the midfielder to scuff his shot back to the keeper.
Wright picked up a booking on  27 that caused a few scratched heads in the crowd and although the visitors has the ball in the net on 32 the linesmans flag and a handball ruled out any hope of it being an equaliser.
As the time ticked on The Lambs continued to exert a control over the game although Elford-Alliyu picked up a booking on 37, backing into a Macclesfield defender.
Evans struck strongly from 25 yards and forced Taylor to parry the ball away from danger on 40 and there was a break in play when Holroyd received treatment outside Belford's penalty area.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the half and the 1-0 scoreline accurately reflected the better side.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Macclesfield Town

The Lambs got the second half underway attacking the Castle End and won a corner through Todd's persistence on 46 which Taylor launched himself to gather at height.
Belford did well to protect himself from the incoming boot of Holroyd on 49 from a right sided low cross in his first meaningful save of the game.
At the other end, a short corner following Richards-Everton's deflected header was cleared and play switched quickly to the Meadow Street End and Whitaker lifted his shot over the bar.
Holroyd and Whitaker forced Belford to save at his near post around the 50 minute mark when a corner came over from the right.
The hour mark passed with little to report in the way of goalmouth action either way, although The Lambs were being forced to work much harder that in the first period  as the ball spent a more equal time in both halves.
A corner was awarded to The Silkmen on 69 when it appeared that no home player had touched the ball but protests were short lived and substitute Rowe headed just wide of the mark.
Then on 71, Peniket thought he had headed a second goal of the afternoon but it was ruled out for a push in the build up and the long throw from the left that allowed him to flick the ball home was repeated on 72 but cleared on the counter attack down the left wing and ended with Whitaker shooting straight at Belford.
After Gudger came on for Todd, Jennings forced Belford into a good stop on 76 with a right sided shot and the Lambs were forced to continue to work hard to keep the visitors away from the final third.
Evans unleashed a low ball in from the right on 86 which Taylor parried away from danger.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and a large proportion of it was spent with the referee trying to sort out some unnecessary goings on which saw captain Turnbull booked before the final whistle blew on a well deserved three points.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Baker, Courtney, Peniket, Capaldi, Todd (Gudger 73), Elford-Alliyu (Woolery 86), Wright
Subs: Byfield, Harris, Wren

Macclesfield Town Team:

Taylor, Connor, Andrew, Martin, Turnbull, Mackreth (Boden 74), Jennings, Holroyd, Winn (Rowe 61), Whitaker, Halls
Subs: Bolton, Kissock, Kay

Attendance: 864

Man of the Match: Quiss chose Ben Richards-Everton

Referee: Mr. S. Bennett

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures