Search results to follow...

Back to winning ways with assured display

FT: Forest Green Rovers 1    2 Tamworth

24 September 2013On the back of two home defeats, Dale Belford took his squad to The New Lawn to face one of the pre-season favourites for promotion currently on the back of two defeats too - one to Welling and one to league leaders Cambridge.
Belford recalled Connor Gudger to the squad from his loan at Barwell before the game and made two changes to the side that fell by a solitary goal to Gateshead on Saturday with Ben Richards-Everton suspended and Danny Lloyd taking a place on the bench allowing Andy Todd to make his second start of the season and Duane Courtney return with the captains armband.
Although the home squad featured summer signing Marcus Kelly the ex-Lamb did not feature.
The Lambs got the game underway kicking away from the nineteen or so Lambs fans in the away end and on 4 Capaldi was ale to launch a long throw from the left but despite it pinging around the box, the home defence were able to clear.
FGR's Turley had to change his short after a clash left him with a bloody nose and while he was getting treatment The Lambs pushed forward but the ball into the box was not able to be met and Russell watched it out of play.
Tamworth were moving the ball around well in the final third of the field through Elford-Alliyu and Wright and although the latter's back heel didn't quite work on 9 the signs were positive and applauded by Belford in the dugout.
Norwood picked up a yellow card for clipping Wright as he tried to advance out of midfield on 10 but nothing came of the freekick.
Good play from the home side saw Belford called upon to deny a near post shot from Danny Wright on 13 after 1-2 in the box split the defence temporarily.
On 17 Belford pushed the ball away from danger when Bangura beat the offside trap with his dink over the top for Taylor and the latter flashed his shot into the six yard box.
The home side continued to press with low passing balls through the midfield and forced another corner on 22 but it came to nothing and then on 26, from a Lambs corner a penalty was awarded when Thomas was pulled down by Oshodi in the box allowing Baker to stroke home the penalty to Russell's left. (1-0, 25 mins).
FGR came back strongly and Klukowski fired strongly at Belford from the right of the box, but Tamworth had similar ideas and on 32 Evans his a long range effort and Elford-Alliyu span on another ball into the area but fired just wide of the right hand post.
It was all square again on 37 when Taylor burst onto a chip through the Lambs defence, beating the offside trap in the process, and struck a sweet left footed shot into the near corner with Belford unable to stop the shot. (1-1, 37 mins) unfortunately for Thomas he pulled up during the passage of play and so had to be replaced by Gudger after leaving the pitch on a stretcher.
Klukowski forced another good stop from Belford on 45 when the FGR forward tried to curl into the bottom right hand corner from the left of the area, but found the Tamworth keeper as in no mood to be beaten.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the half and the home side pressed until the whistle blew to no avail.

HT: Forest Green Rovers 1    1 Tamworth

The home side restarted proceedings having first replaced goalscorer Taylor with Barnes-Homer.
Early pressure saw Danny Wright latch onto a ball at the far post but divert it past the woodwork and the same player hit a low shot from 18 yards straight at Belford.
A the other end, on 50 Todd fired right footed only for Oshodi to divert it out for a corner on the left and from the flag kick Todd glance headed over the bar with a well timed but just too high effort from 8 yards.
The Lambs regained the lead when Kerry fed Wright with a fine ball to split the home defence on 52 and Wright made no mistake with a cool finish into the bottom corner.
On 57 Norwood struck right footed from distance and with Belford at full stretch to his left the ball skipped off the surface just past the right hand upright with home fans willing the ball into the net.
Rovers forced two corners in succession around the hour mark and Gudger came to the rescue from Stokes goalbound header, heading the ball off the line and away from danger.
A shoulder to shoulder charge in the box by Courtney on Norwood on 63 resulted in loud shouts for a penalty but the referee was having none of it and on 64 the same FGR player fell when Gudger cut in front to shield the ball back to Belford but again the referee was not swayed.
Elford-Alliyu unleashed a bullet from 25 yards at Russell on 68 which the keeper did very well to deflect, rather than save, out for a corner and Capaldi's ball in whipped across the area before being cleared.
A freekick was awarded to the home side on 3 when the referee decided to stop play and bring it back despite seeming to have played advantage, but it came to nothing.
Rovers tried another freekick from a similar distance on 80 but Klukowski's effort failed to trouble Belford too much.
On 84, the home side were reduced to 10 men when the referee saw cause to caution him again and for kicking the ball away and present him with his second yellow card of the evening.
Another yellow card came quickly after when Bangura was booked for a hard challenge on Kerry in the centre circle and Peniket was booked for time wasting on 88.
Four minutes added time was shown as The Lambs continued to work hard to ensure the full points haul returned to Staffordshire and when Elford-Alliyu broke over the half way line and squared for Peniket it looked like a third goal was forthcoming but a good stop from Russell low to his right put the ball out past the post for a corner which is shielded and the referee blew for full time and three points.

Tamworth Team:
Belford, Evans, Kerry, Baker, Courtney, Peniket, Capaldi, Todd (Lloyd 74), Thomas (Gudger 40), Lloyd, Elford-Alliyu, Wright
Subs: Byfield, Woolery, Wren

Forest Green Rovers Team:
Russell, Stokes, Bangura, Turley, Bennett (Hodgkiss 29), Norwood, Klukowski, Wright, Taylor (Barnes-Homer HT), Oshodi, Barry (Forbes 65)
Subs: Vieira, Bulman

Attendance: 829

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures