Search results to follow...

Lambs make a point

FT: Tamworth 2    2 Wrexham

17 August 2013

Dale Belford fielded an unchanged eleven for the third consecutive game against The Dragons of Wrexham, who lost in midweek to Halifax, as his side went in search of another clean sheet and hopefully a goal or two to help continue the unbeaten start to the season.
The Dragons got the game underway kicking towards the Castle End of the ground and Mayebi got an early touch from a long ball forwards by Courtney.
Good play from Jones down the right wona throw for Capaldi to launch into the box but it was cleared and fell to Bishop whose shot from 18 yards took a deflection out for a left sided corner which Richards-Eventon and then Peniket booted clear.
On 4 a Jones ball from the left of the box was looking dangerous for Kerry at the far post but it was headed behind for a Lambs corner on the right which was over hit by Capaldi for a throw by the opposite flag.
Peniket, Thomas and Baker all saw half chance shots hit defenders on 5 and as The Lambs kept the pressure up Mayebi pulled off a good stop from 6 yards pushing the ball behind for a corner on the right which came to nothing.
On 15 Thomas sent a right footed cross form the touchline on the right of the area over the box looking for Kerry at the far post but it was headed clear by Tomassen and Peniket was denied a claim for a penalty a minute later as the tussled and fell as he entered the box but the referee was having none of it.
GOAL: On 19 Mayebi received the ball back at his feet and looked like he was going to clear the ball with ease but made a complete hash of it and Peniket's persistence forced the ball to run free allowing Jones to pounce and rifle home from 12 yards. (1-0, 19 mins)
The visitors won a corner on 22 which was headed strongly away by Richards-Everton and play switched to the other end where Kerry found himself with an inviting chance from 18 yards but his right footed shot went just wide of the left hand upright.
Clarke's effort from 25 yards down the left channel was struck with good force and direction but lifted high over the target on 27 and Belford was happy to watch it out of play from the moment it left the Wrexham player's boot as the visitors enjoyed a spell of possession in The Lambs half.
Belford was also happy to watch the long range left wing cross come shot from the former Blackpool and single red-gloved Ormerod go out past the far post on the half hour.
After firing from distance over the bar on 32 Thornton sent a freekick into the box on 34 which Courtney inadvertently sliced back for Belford to catch and allowed The Lambs to move upfield with Capaldi sending a long throw into the box but play switched again and Ormerod finished from close range after Belford had saved well and despite shouts for offside from the crowd the flag was not raised to stop out the celebrations on the Meadow Street terracing (1-1 37 mins)
The Lambs went on the attack again and a penalty was awarded when Jones was pulled to the ground as he entered the right of side of the area. Jones appeared to be pushed over again after the penalty had been awarded and caused the officials to discuss the incident and Thornton was called over with Courtney but no cards were shown.
Jones lined up the spot kick on 43, but Mayebi launched himself to his left and pushed the ball over the crossbar to safety with a great save.
2 minutes added time was shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Wrexham

The Lambs got the second half underway, attacking the Castle End with Richards being replaced by Byfield before the whistle blew and when Baker was brought down on the right of the box Capaldi looked to test Mayebi with the freekick but his dead ball hit the wall.
Mayebi came out of his area to clear the danger on 48 with Peniket bearing down on the keeper but the ball was cleared at the third attempt.
The Wrexham keeper was again almost caught out from a poor back pass but Byfield's effort was blocked by the keeper scampering around his box and it eventually fell to Baker who struck for the target but it lifted over the frame of the goal.
Mayebi nearly allowed a throw in into the area to slip under his foot and roll over the line in the next move and this seemed to give Wrexham added impetus and the visitors enjoyed a spell of possession again without really threatening Belford's goal too much.
A good move forward on the hour saw Courtney lift the ball into the box from the right and Mayebi caught it at full stretch while Peniket tried his luck from distance but fired wide of the target.
Lambs fans called for their side to keep the pressure up as Wrexham continued to press. On 66 Ormerod hit the left hand upright with a header past the far post and Richards-Everton picked up his third booking in three games for a foul in front of the away dugout on 68.
A quick break involving Byfield and Jones down the left earned Tamworth a corner on 70 which Byfield sent high over the target with a header from 8 yards out.
Belford did well to rush to the edge of his box and deny the run of sub Ogleby on 72 while fellow sub Reid sneaked in at the far post on 73 but connected and put the ball wide of the mark.
The Lambs keeper rose high to push the ball from danger on 75 after a suspicion of handball after Belford was forced to push the ball out for a corner off the boot off the Wrexham forwards.
Both sides made a change on 77 and it paid off for Morrell as Bradley Reid struck from 12 yards into the top right hand corner to give The Dragons the lead (1-2, 79).
Tamworth were having none of it though, and The Lambs equalised on 84 through Byfield's low shot after he swivelled on the spot 12 yards out and watched the ball skip past Mayebi with the aid of a slight defection to make sure. (2-2, 84 mins)
Lambs sub Todd forced a save from Mayebi in response and Byfield shot wide in the next move. The ball then did go into the net but the flag denied the move and Tamworth kept the pressure on and Mayebi left his area to prod the ball away from Peniket on 87. The resultant corner saw Byfield strike low but into the hands of Mayebi and at the other end Courtney cleared his lines at the second attempt.
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Todd's low strike from 20 yards was denied by the Wrexham defence
A foul on Evans earned Reid a booking and Capaldi's freekick found Courtney who in turn won a corner by the clubhouse which Byfield turned towards goal, but Mayebi instinctively blocked it on the line and it was cleared away and despite a last ditch effort, the whistle blew on a point each.

Tamworth Team:

Belford, Evans, Richards-Everton, Kerry, Baker (Todd 77), Richards (Byfield HT), Jones, Courtney, Peniket, Capaldi, Thomas
Subs: Harris, Woolery, Wren

Wrexham Team:

Mayebi, Thornton (Evans 77), Clarke, Cieslewicz (Obleby 67), Harris, Bishop, Ormerod (Reid 71), Tomassen, Hunt, Clowes, N'Tame
Subs: Rushton, Coughlin

Attendance: 1128

Referee: Mr. R. Whitton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures