Search results to follow...

Unbeaten run ends with ten men

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Cambridge United

26 February 2013

Tamworth welcomed Cambridge United to The Lamb looking to go seven unbeaten against a side who had not won in four outings and sat a point behind Dale Belford's side in midtable. With Jonathon Thorpe unable to play against his parent club, Richard Tait made a return to the starting eleven.
A win and other results going the right way could see The Lambs jump to 8th in the table and Cambridge got the game under way.
From a Shaw corner on 3 Hughes rose highest and headed at Breeden's goal, but The Lambs keeper was equal to the effort and Tamworth attacked the Meadow Street End winning a corner of their own in the process.
The ball in from Kelly, on the right, was a good height but Ross gathered at his near post.
On 5, Dunk was the provider with a right wing cross which found Hughes again but this time he glanced the effort wide.
Then on 9, another right wing cross was met by a United player and Elliott powered his header into the near corner with the Lambs defence static and Breeden unable to do anything about it. (0-1, 9 mins)
Wright went down by the Cross Street corner of the ground on 18 and required prolonged treatment  but was able to continue after a while.
The Lambs were doing their best to keep the ball into the final third of the ground, but were finding it difficult to create any attacking chances .
At the other end though on 22, Gudger slipped and allowed Dunk to race through. Breeden was solid in his save from the close range shot and Shaw followed up the rebound but struck the cross bar with his effort and The Lambs escaped a second.
At the other end Marshall missed his chance to level the tie when he connected with Tait's deep freekick but put the chance over the target from a few yards out.
In the 30th minute, Wright, who looked to be struggling after his earlier treatment, was replaced by Kyle Perry in a straight swap up front.
A long booted clearance out of the U's defence on 35 was chased by Elliott and Gudger and the Lambs player did enough to get it away from the big United front man for a corner to the visitors which Tamworth dealt with enough to clear to the danger.
A flicked header from Hessenthaler was good enough to bring a save from Ross on 37 and Cunnington and Lloyd both pushed forwards looking for an equaliser but the latte's shot was tame.
As the United team made a move forwards, it was The Lambs defence who almost allowed Dunk to prod the ball into the net as Breeden rushed out to try and clear but his effort went wide of the left hand post.
On 40, Perry brought a good save from Ross with a driven effort from the edge of the Cambridge box and on 44 Oji was unable to react quick enough to Marshall's ball into the box which took everyone by surprise.
2 minutes of added time were shown at the end of the first half and it ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Cambridge United

The Lambs got the second half underway, kicking ‘down hill' and Perry nodded the ball on for Hessenthaler to run on to but it skipped just too long for the youngster to latch onto and he was unable to turn the ball home.
Perry then latched onto a header by Courtney and hit a powerful effort on goal from the left of the box which Ross did very well to block and smother.
A ball from Tait on the right bounced in the box and fell to Lloyd past the far post on 48 but his effort was high over the bar rather than under it.
Richard Money made the first change for his side on 52 and Belford replaced Lloyd with Hendrie on 58 pushing Cunnington up fron t a bit more alongside Perry for the final half hour.
Cunnington then won a corner with a deflected shot and Oji's glancing header went out past the far post for another flagkick which came to nothing.
A foul on Hendrie saw him leave the field with a bloody nose on the hour and from the freekick Cunnington was unable to connect with the long ball.
Then on 63 Tait was adjudged to have clipped Elliott as he ran into the box from the left of the area and the referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty. Gash slammed home the penalty and the 107 travelling fans duly celebrated. (0-2, 64 mins)
On 72 Haynes-Brown brought down Oji and was in the process of receiving a booking when Hendrie appeared on the scene and raised his hands to Shaw giving the referee no choice but to show him a straight red card after just 15 minutes on the field.
A freekick on the left wing on 79 saw Elliott rise high once again and head towards goal, but his effort went wide of the left hand upright.
As the game entered the final five minutes Dunk made a jinking run into the box and tried to thread it through to Elliott who almost got his foot onto the ball but was denied by Breeden after Byfield's intervention looked to have put the keeper under pressure.
Perry was felled just outside the area on the left of the D on 88 and set up Cunnington to strike it low and hard into the far right corner of the net to set up a grandstand finish (1-2, 89 mins)
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game.
Courtney and Wassmer were both booked for time wasting as the seconds ticked down to the final whistle.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (Darren BYFIELD 81), Marcus KELLY, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON, Tommy WRIGHT (Kyle PERRY 30), Duane COURTNEY, Jake HESSENTHALER, Connor GUDGER, Daniel LLOYD (Lee HENDRIE 58), Jonathon THORPE, Sam OJI
Subs: James WREN (GK), Michael WYLDE

Cambridge United Team:

Craig ROSS (GK), Josh COULSON, Tom SHAW, Jamie REED (Blaine HUDSON 77), Michael GASH, Tom ELLIOT  (Luke BERRY 87), Harrison DUNK, Rory McAULEY (c.), Liam HUGHES (Kevin ROBERTS 52), Charlie WASSMER, Curtis HAYNES-BROWN
Subs: Jonathon HEDGE (GK), Ross JARVIS

Attendance: 668

Man of the Match: Pickerings Solicitors chose Marcus Kelly

Referee: Mr. P. Bankes

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures