Search results to follow...

Silkmen wrap up win

FT: Macclesfield Town 2    0 Tamworth

06 November 2012

Following the 1-0 reversal to Grimsby at the weekend, The Lambs made the trip North to Moss Rose home of Macclesfield Town for the first time since 1983 and between then and now a lot of things have happened to both teams on and off the field. For the historians amongst us, this is the fourteenth encounter between the two sides and The Lambs have lost every single one of the thirteen so far....

Marcus Law's side came into the game on the back of four defeats having scored just once while The Silkmen were exactly opposite having won their last four and conceding just one in the process.
Law made three changes to the side from Saturday with Richard Tait, Marcus Kelly and Adriano Moke coming into the starting eleven at the expense of Scott Barrow, Sam Oji (both suspended) and Tommy Wright who took a place on the bench.

On the field, the leagues two leading marksmen were on show - Matthew Barnes-Homer for the Blues and Adam Cunnington for the reds.

After running out to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune (there must be a reason?) The Lambs got the game underway Till surged forwards, Hendrie pass to Kelly and he won a corner on the left which Cronin collected at height.
At the other end Murtagh hit a powerful rising shot at Breeden from 30 yards and the keeper took it at head height.
On 6, Mackreth beat the offside trap to advance down the left and fire straight at Breeden with what probably should have been a curling effort inside the far post but failed to trouble the keeper too much.
Breeden punched a high bal into the box clear of danger on 8 as Barnes-Homer and Morgan-Smith tried to put the pressure on.
Cunnington flicked a Breeden clearance on for Till but the latter was unable to make enough headroom into the box to get a shot away and was forced to cross from the left allowing Cronin to take at his near post on 10.
Cunnington then tried a speculative right footed shot from the right of the box and brought a sarcastic song from the home fans about his aim as The Lambs kept the ball in the final third for a few minutes.
The home side took the lead on 14 though when Jackson crossed low into the box and Morgan-Smith back heeled it into the far corner off the post in similar fashion to Man Utd's Danny Welbeck's cheeky goal for England recently. (0-1, 14 mins)
The Lambs were certainly trying to get back into the game and worked the ball forward on 21, with Till and Kelly showing good touches. Cunnington fell under a challenge as the ball came into the box in the next move, but he was the only one who really appealed for the penalty which wasn't given.
A Till freekick was flicked on but also behind by Moke on 24 while on 27 Murtagh chipped the ball through for Mackreth to run on to and his shot would have made it two-nil had it been on target as it beat Breeden but was always curling wide of the left hand post and the keeper was booked in the aftermath of the incident.
A left sided Tamworth corner was forthcoming on 29 which Hendrie put into the box under bar and Cronin dropped it but the Silkmen defence cleared the danger before Taylor could get a sniff.
On 33 Taylor tried a powerful drive at goal from the left channel and saw it rebound off two defenders but it fell nicely for Till and he had to get a snap shot away which span out past the far post.
A deflected shot from Kerry brought another left sided Hendrie corner on 35 but nothing came of it initially although The Lambs kept the ball in the Macclesfield half and Till won another corner on the same side with a deflected blocked shot. The flag kick was well struck by Hendrie and attacked but ultimately cleared by the bodies in the box.
Mackreth then looked to extend his sides lead with a snap curler from the right wing which failed to curl enough to trouble Breeden but did show The Lambs they would have to work tighter to prevent him trying it again.
As the home side played with the ball around the edge of the box, it popped up and Kelly was adjudged to have handled just outside the D setting up Diagne with a strike at goal and his effort was blocked but his teammates rallied forwards and put pressure on the Lambs defence until the ball went out of play.
Breeden punched Braham-Barrett's left wing cross away with a hefty two fisted punch on 43.
As the play switched to the other end, Kerry's watched his shot curl away from the target after good work down the left by Till and Hendrie, and one minute added time was shown at the end of the half before the whistle blew.

HT: Macclesfield Town 1    0 Tamworth

The Silkmen restarted proceedings with Tamworth now attacking the goal that the visiting fans faced from the end of the Henshaws stand.
On 49, a slip by Marshall allowed Barnes-Homer and Morgan-Smith to advance quickly over the halfway line but the Lambs defender recovered and forced the play wide before a freekick halted proceedings in The Lambs favour.
Kerry struck for goal on 53 from 35 yards and it clipped a head on the way through lifting it over the target for a corner which was poorly struck and allowed Macc to break. Mackreth beat the offside trap and advanced one on one against Breeden in the right of the box but found the keeper impassable with the home fans already expecting a second goal.
Law made his first change just short of the hour mark and Macclesfield went close, winning two corners in the process - the second of which was punched away by Breeden but Barnes-Homer got his head on the bounce and placed it past the keeper into the side netting.
Breeden was the saviour again as the home side fired at the target and won more flag kicks, keeping the ball in the Lambs half.
Hendrie was booked for a late challenge on Kissock on 65, midway into the Tamworth half, which left the home crowd baying for a red card and the striker prostrate on the ground. And from the freekick, Diagne forced a fine stop from Breeden - diving full length to his left to push the ball out for a corner which Murtagh headed wide of the left hand post.
Wright replaced Moke up front on 67 but it was Breeden that had to be quick to try and stop a poor back header by Tait going behind for a corner on 71. Unfortunately he couldn't and the header from Murtagh from the flag kick was also poor and failed to threaten.
Had Wright connected with the left wing cross into the box on 77 cleanly Cronin may well have had something to do, but the ball ricocheted off his boot onto the other and the Silkmen cleared the danger.
Then with almost no warning, Jackson struck a low shot diagonally from the right of the D into the far left corner with Breeden unable to adjust his footing and he had to watch stood almost motionless as it nestled in the back of the net. (0-2, 79 mins)
Left over fireworks exploded over the stand as the final five minutes came into view and it wasn't going well for The Lambs as passes went awry and on 88 Barnes-Homer should have made it three but curled his rising shot just over the woodwork from the edge of the box.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game which ended without further incident.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT, Marcus KELLY (Charlie COLLINS 57), Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON, Lee HENDRIE (c), Lloyd KERRY, Duane COURTNEY, Peter TILL (Connor GUDGER 80), Adriano MOKE (Tommy WRIGHT 67), Greg TAYLOR
Subs: Scott JAMES, Dale BELFORD (GK)

Macclesfield Town Team:

Subs: Chris HOLROYD, Waide FAIRHURST, Charlie HENRY

Attendance: 1089

Referee: Mr. K. Evans

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures