Search results to follow...

Lambs Green light.

FT: Forest Green Rovers 1    2 Tamworth

09 October 2012

After Saturday's disappointing defeat goal by the odd in three to table topping Newport County AFC, The Lambs travelled to The New Lawn to face second placed Rovers who fell to third placed Wrexham at the weekend. The last time the two sides met the home side won 3-1 and David Moyes was watching the game ahead of our FA Cup tie at Everton.

Marcus Law was able to welcome Richard Tait back to the squad, and both Lee Hendrie and Marcus Kelly started with Peter Till resting on the bench. While on David Hockaday's side, last season's Lamb Paul Green lined up for the home team in their now non black and white striped kit of old.

In years gone by this game would have been black and white stripes against red but tonight it is fluorescent green against aquamarine... how times change!

The home side got the match underway kicking towards the travelling Lambs but it was Kerry, Kelly, Cunnington and Wright that forged a half chance inside the first minute which Cunnington headed at Russell from 18 yards.
The next chance came following a flowing move upfield from the home side which Stokes hit low and hard from the left channel on 5 and Breeden dropped to push it around the post for a corner on the left.
From the dead ball Collins missed his shot and Wright dragged his wide of the right hand post from a position on the left of the box.
A deep ball from Courtney was sent for the head of Cunnington on 9 but it was headed away and Breeden left his comfort zone to clear the ensuing danger. However, the ball was played to the far (left) post and Norwood headed down harmlessly into the side netting with Breeden having raced back to position to cover his goal.
In the next move Norwood raced past and through the Lambs right back area and forced Breeden to dive to push the ball out for a corner. Rovers had the ball in the net from the corner but the referee had already blown his whistle and produced a yellow card for Turley.
From a Lambs corner Russell dropped the ball goalward but recovered and Tait found the head of former FGR Wright, but he couldn't direct it towards the target.
Hendrie's incisive ball to Kelly who in turn found Cunnington resulted in a powerful but blocked shot on 16 and on 20 Kelly whipped the ball across the box from the right but there was no one on either side, in position to get a touch to it.
A home freekick from Wright had to be dealt with by Taylor and Courtney on 20 and as The lambs broke Kerry was fouled in the centre circle.
Then on 22 an own goal was awarded when Cunnington lifted a header goalward and Stokes was unable to head it away in the right direction and it crossed the line before being cleared, giving the linesman the unenviable task of indicating an own goal at the home end. (1-0, 22 mins)
And on 25 a foul by Rover's Collins in the area earned him a booking and gave The Lambs a penalty and Cunnington sent it to the bottom right to make it 2-0.
Kerry put a fine ball in from the right but Russell was more than equal to it on 27 and as Rovers sprinted to the other end Marshall was booked for a challenge and then cleared the danger from the freekick.
Tommy Wright was booked for challenge on Collins on 33.
Baldock won a corner o 36 through his tenacity down the right and Hendrie had to wait while the referee separated the group of players jostling on the edge of the box. The ball eventually fell for Kerry but his shot from the edge of the area rose over the bar.
Inside the final five minutes of the half and home frustration was now starting to show a little on the pitch and emanate from the terraces and moves were not being completed.
Brogan incurred the wrath of the travelling faithful for a foul on Hendrie on 44 which earned him an immediate booking and three minutes added time was shown.

HT: Forest Green Rovers 0    2 Tamworth

Hockaday eventually sent his team back onto the field and made two changes before Tamworth restarted proceedings hoping to add to their tally in front of the travelling faithful.
As the rhythm of the home fans drums echoed around the ground Kerry received treatment after he and Hendrie and Wright had gone in for balls they should never had won but did and the frustration of the main stand was evident again.
Baldock played a cheeky back heel for Taylor to run on to on 54 and he advanced into the box but hit a defenders shot at Russell which the keeper gladly took with consummate ease.
Collins had a half chance shot over the target from 18 yards on 55 which rebounded out of the stand accompanied by a groan while at the other end The 61 Lambs fans urged Cunnington to shoot and he did so but saw his shot deflected out for a throw which went long Russell caught.
Baldock was penalised for a sliding challenge in which he appeared to take the ball before the man, on the hour, and Rovers set up the freekick from the right of the box which Klukowski flicked on to the head of home captains Collins and he powered it home from a few yards out (2-1, 61 mins)
Matty Taylor then hit the right hand post with a low drive from the right of the box and Collins was unable to follow it up with an effective finish.
The Lambs literally appeared to have taken their eye off the ball for a few minutes, but regained composer and 65 Cunnington was pulled back allowing Hendrie to try a freekick from a central position. It came to nothing, and Rovers pushed on but Tamworth held strong.
Kerry and then Cunnington were brought down around the edge of the area on 68 and the latter was awarded a freekick which Kelly put onto the head of Marshall at the far post but it went out the wrong side of the woodwork.
Kerry was penalised for a foul 25 yards out with a booking on 69 but Klukowski couldn't keep his drive down and forced the fans to catch his effort and Till came on for Kelly.
To help clear the danger Breeden headed the ball out for a throw on 72 and the scampered back to tip behind past the far post but Rovers wasted their corner.
Matty Taylor crossed from the right with a low drive on 75 and Viera forced Breeden into action with a parry at his left post as Rovers searched for an equaliser.
And on 77 Stoke's ball from the left wing after a flowing move out of the heart of their own back line on the right was lunged at but missed and Breeden's goal escaped.
A member of the FGR bench was sent to the stand by the referee after an argument with the linesman on 80 and Cunnington curled a low pass behind Till in the box on 81.
Asafu-Adjaye clipped the heels of Baldock as he rode a tackle or two out of the Lambs back third of the field on 82 and was shown the yellow card for his efforts, the sixth of the game (3 each side) and Tait's tackle on Koroma as he sprinted into the area was adjudged to have been OK by the referee despite the hopeful shouts from the Rovers fans behind the goal on 83.
Oji replaced a tired Hendrie with 5 to go but nothing could be done to stop Vieira's deflected shot which went out for a corner on 87, although the flag kick was wasted.
Baldock became the fourth yellow card recipient on 89 and Breeden tipped the long range shot from Klukowski over the bar which allowed Tamworth to regroup and clear the danger for a short period of time although Rovers did not give up as five minutes added time was shown.
On 93, Matty Taylor crossed for Vieira but he couldn't direct his shot at goal and The Lambs then somehow escaped a goal mouth scramble where the ball looked destined to drop over the line.
Keeper Russell spent a minute or so up for a home corner as the 94th minute ticked over to the 95th and a foul on Breeden prolonged the final whistle which eventually came and with it a very well and hard earned three points.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT, Marcus KELLY (Peter TILL 71), George BALDOCK, Tom MARSHALL (c), Adam CUNNINGTON, Lee HENDRIE (Sam OJI 85), Tommy WRIGHT, Lloyd KERRY, Duane COURTNEY, Greg TAYLOR
Subs: Connor GUDGER, Charlie COLLINS, Dale BELFORD (GK)

Forest Green Rovers Team:

Subs: Jared HODGKISS, Aarran RACINE

Attendance: 1022

Referee: Mr. G. Horwood (Beds)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures