Search results to follow...

Lambs see red in first defeat

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Wrexham

27 August 2012

After a great three goal victory at Southport 48 hours previously, Marcus Law's side welcomed Wrexham to The Lamb for the bank holiday fixture.
After receiving a clattering at Haig Avenue, Peter Till sat out of the game and Tom Marshall took a place on the bench with Sam Oji returning to the side and Jan Llado making his full debut.
Andy Morrell's side came to the game without the services of injured striker Mark Creighton and would be looking to rectify their stuttering start to the season.

The visiting team, in green, got the game underway with Tamworth attacking the Meadow Street end with initially vociferous travelling fans who soon got a response from The Shed.
Wrexham won a trio of corners inside the first two minutes and Breeden was forced to make a fine save from Westwood's downward header, signaling the Dragons intentions.
After the initial flurry of pressure, The Lambs found a bit of time and space and Barrow tried his luck from distance but was off target to the right of the goal with his low shot.
Gudger conceded a freekick on Wrexham's right on 8 and Hunt curled it into the box but despite Courtney's best intentions his attempted headed clearance went straight into the back of the net to give the visitors the lead (0-1, 9 mins).
the game was stopped shortly afterwards when Collins landed heavily on his neck / head and needed treatment to regain his composure.
Cunnington unleashed a powerful drive on 14 which brought a good save from Mayebi and also a corner which the same player chipped back into the box but the keeper took again.
Kerry and the home faithful felt he was very harshly penalized for what appeared to be a clean sliding challenge on the edge of the area on 18 giving Wrexham a freekick in the right channel but Walker's strike was very poor and cleared easily.
Keates sent a searching ball across the box at height from the left wing on 23 but there was no near one to get on the end of it and play switched to the other end but Cunnington was penalized for a push as he tried to pick the ball off the covering defenders toes. Mayebi was booked for time wasting from the freekick on 24 and when play worked it's way back to his end Kerry tried a right footed half volley which was the right height but well wide of the left hand post.
A shout for a penalty against Oji on Ogleby was strongly waved away by the referee on 27.
The Lambs continued to press forward as and when they could, but were finding it difficult to create spaces and when they did the Wrexham defence seemed to be just that bit quicker.
Westwood headed Tait's deep ball behind for a corner on 33 but Tamworth were unable to make anything from the flag kick and when Wrexham broke and Morrell put the ball into the box Tait diverted the ball goalward but Breeden was able to smother it.
Llado took a blow to the back of the head as he looked to collect the ball in the latter part of midfield but there was no booking and Barrow lined up the freekick which he drove past the left hand upright from the right of the D about 25 yards out.
Another Tait cross was punched away by Mayebi and Breeden was called upon to save a powerful effort from Hunt from close range and then Cieslewicz forced him to push the ball away from his left footed half volley from the edge of the area.
Clarke felled Barrow on the half way line on 40 but escaped a booking  and Wrexham regained possession from the freekick. Kerry slid in to block Morrell's attempted ball across the box from the right and conceded a corner in the process which Barrow headed away and Collins sprayed to Llado. Cunnington then hit a shot from 30 yards winning a corner from Mayebi's save and Barrow's left sided corner was hoofed away.
Kerry hit a left footed shot from the edge of the area on 43 but the swerve failed to deceive Mayebi and Tait's low shot failed to go near the target in the next move forwards.
Morrell was booked for unsporting behavior shortly before three minutes added time was shown and Cieslewicz's ball to the far post was headed over the woodwork by Hunt from a wide left position.
Wright leapt to meet Tait's cross a minute later, but his header went wide of the left hand post.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Wrexham

The Lambs got the second half underway and quickly made a change with Ivey-Ward replacing Collins on 48 changing the shape of the side.
On 52 Tait conceded a needless penalty, diving under the run of Ogleby as he tried to get around the Lambs defender in the left of the box but Ashton but the ball high and wide of the target.
Tempers boiled over a little on 56 when a player on each side was brought to the floor in two successive tackles and Hunt was booked for his part in the melee and Wright was shown a straight red as well after the linesman had consulted with his referee and spotted (attempted) violent conduct.
Cunnington drove the ball across the goal and out for a corner on the left on 59 and Ivey-Ward tried an overhead kick which went wide of the mark.
As Cieslewicz broke through and Breeden collected on 63 another call for a penalty against Oji was waved away but the visitors did win a corner which they took short and won another from the blocked cross. which Morrell headed back across goal and Courtney headed away.
Cieslwicz hit a low shot past the left hand post after taking on Ivey-Ward on 66 and was then replaced.
The Lambs were forced to defend deeply with Breeden leaving his comfort zone on a number of occasions as Wrexham looked to take advantage of the extra man and there was a respite when Morrell hit the deck after going head to head with Ivey-Ward in the centre circle and the Wrexham manager replaced himself following the incident.
Shortly after Bottomer replaced Llado, Ormerod struck the top of Breeden's woodwork with a cross from the left with the keeper at full stretch but happy to see it rebound out of play.
Ivey-Ward got a boot to a low ball from the right to keep it away from the in coming Wrexham threat on 79 and Oji booted the resultant clear of danger.
On 82 Hunt crossed from the left of the box for substitute Wright and his deft touch should have been Wrexham's second but it rolled inches past the right hand post.
Cunnington speculated with a 35 yard right footed shot but it lifted high over the target onto the Castle End terracing.
At the other end, on 87, Wright fed Hunt with a ball through the centre / right but the latter dragged his shot wide of the left hand post.
And as the Lambs tried for a push forward in the last few minutes of normal time, things just weren't coming off for them.
Wright then got the better of Ivey-Ward on the left of the box and cut the ball back for Walker but his right footed effort from 18 yards in a central position screwed off target.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Kerry struck a shot from the centre of the D but it curled wide right of the target.
Cunnington shook off his closely covering defender on 93 but was unable to get his boot far enough around the ball to get his shot on target as Tamworth made one final push for a point and when Wrexham sprinted forwards Hunt somehow missed the target when well placed as the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c), Adam CUNNINGTON, Tommy WRIGHT, Lloyd KERRY, Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER, Scott BARROW, Jan LLADÓ (Luke BOTTOMER 75), Charlie COLLINS (Jorden IVEY-WARD 48), Sam OJI
Subs: James WREN (GK), Tom MARSHALL, Graeme LAW

Wrexham Team:

Joslain MAYEBI (GK), Neil ASHTON, Martin RILEY, Adrian CIESLEWICZ (Brett ORMEROD 67), Andy MORRELL (Danny WRIGHT 73), Dean KEATES (c), Joe CLARKE, Robert OGLEBY (Glen LITTLE 80), Johnny HUNT, Declan WALKER, Chris WESTWOOD
Subs: Andy COUGHLIN (GK), Stephen WRIGHT

Attendance: 1433

Man of the Match: Cotterrill Fencing chose Tony Breeden

Referee: Mr. J. Whateley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures