Search results to follow...

Great Lambs comeback for a point.

FT: Tamworth 2    2 Hereford United

14 August 2012

Both sides came into their second game of the season on the back of opening day victories, and Marcus Law was forced to make one change to the side that had run out at Dartford due to injury to Marcus Kelly. Connor Gudger, who had replaced him at Princes Park, took his place in the starting XI.

Tamworth got the game underway kicking towards the Castle End and enjoyed some early pressure with Cunnington trying his luck only to see it blocked.
After a couple of frays forward by the visitors, Wright chased down the ball to the edge of the box and Graham came off worse between the Lambs striker and Hanford rushing out of his goal to smother the ball.
On 6 a deep ball in from Till was headed back by Marshall but Marna was unable to get a boot onto the loose ball.
Hereford broke and won a corner on the right which was cleared but on 9 Oji and Gudger were beaten by a bouncing ball which was flicked on by Canham and Watkins rifled home the ball from the right of the area. (0-1, 9 mins)
The Lambs advanced from the restart and Wright took a blow in the box challenging for the ball, causing the Bulls to put the ball out so he could receive treatment.
The second of a couple of pushes in the back of Cunnington earned a freekick on the left on 16 which Barrow and floated to the far post and it fell unmarked for Oji but he couldn't head or kick the ball goalward in what was a glorious chance for an equalizer.
Kerry was adjudged to have put a late challenge in on Jackson on the half way line on 19 and received a booking for his efforts.
Kerry and Marna fed Cunnington on the right of the box on 21 and his jinking run and shot earned a corner which Marshall headed over the target at the back post.
Jackson was then felled on the left of the box by Marshall and Watkins took the freekick which Till headed away and behind for a flag kick on the right. The corner was eventually cleared, but Jackson put Barrow on the floor as the ball came out and saw red for his actions, leaving The Bulls a man short for the rest of the game.
Tamworth attacked and Kerry tried a delicate lob into the far corner from 25 yards, but Hanford was able to push it around the post at full stretch for a corner on the right which was cleared.
A freekick by Pell was headed at Breeden on 27 by Watkins while at the other end Wright found the wrong side of the post with a right footed shot from the right and Cunnington's claim for a penalty were waved away.
Marshall sent a pin point ball to Till in the box on 32 but he saw his shot blocked by Hanford and then a penalty was awarded against Marshall whose challenge on Watkins inside the area earned him a booking and The Bulls a spot kick. Pell stepped up to the spot and sent Breeden to the left but the ball to the right to double the scoreline. (0-2, 35 mins).
Marshall then over hit a back pass and gave Hereford a corner on the right which was cleared and then Cunington was beaten to a long ball winning a flag kick on the right which went out for another on the left but a foul halted play.
On 42, Gudger did well to force a corner after a run around the defender but a push in the box stopped Cunnington and Marna getting a sight on goal.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and Till's corner was flicked on by Cunnington to Kerry who unleashed a powerful shot from 18 yards but Hanford was equal to it.
Then, Tait curled the ball in and Cunnington watched in agony as his header bounced past the far post with Hanford beaten.

HT: Tamworth 0    2 Hereford United

The visitors got the second half underway but it was the Lambs who struck with less than three minutes on the clock as Cunnington beat his man on the right by-line and pulled the ball back for Wright to back heel in at the near post (1-2, 48 mins)
Marshall put the ball into the box on 50 and Cunnington nodded down for Till but his shot was flicked away by Hanford. From the corner Cunnington got a good header away but it went past the far post.
Tait managed to claw the ball away for a corner from a position a few yards in front of goal with two Hereford attackers waiting to pounce on 52, and Breeden punched the flag kick away strongly.
Tait saw his right wing cross headed away and tried again but it was too strong and went out for a goal kick.
A dangerous ball into the box from Tait on 58 was eventually smothered by Hanford as The Lambs continued to put the pressure on and Cunnington was unable to direct a good headed chance on target on 59, from another Tait ball from the right.
On 61, Gudger's ball from the left was inch perfect for Cunnington, but his header was caught by Hanford at head height.
Played switched to the other and Marshall was penalized for a pull on Canham on the right winng giving Pell the dead ball which was cleared at least temporarily before Pell fired high and out of the ground from distance and both managers made a change.
Tait's high ball into the box on 68 saw Hanford drop his catch but then recover, then Hereford won a corner on the right via Pell which was played low and deflected out for another on the same side which was wasted.
On 70, again, another superb ball from Tait was not finished, but it was a well taken header from Wright this time and it went just wide of the mark.
Kerry then tried his luck from distance but his right footed drive was pushed around the post for a corner on the right and was cleared.
The fast tempo of the game continued but Carruthers was booked on 77 for time wasting a throw in.
A weak shot from Wright from the edge of the area was easily taken by Hanford on 79 and Wright connected with a Till ball in from the right on 80 but sent his shot high over the bar.
The ball rebounded around the box with Oji and Till trying to get a shot away and it fell for Llado on 83 but his snap shot was off target from 30 yards.
Till coulud only hold his head in his hands when his right footed volley was blocked on 85 and Marshall got the urge to try for goal on 86 but after beating a defender or two lifted his shot over the bar.
Barrow then hit the base of the post with a left footed drive and his ball back in was headed home by Cunnington who rose at the near post and powered it in. (2-2, 87mins).
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Breeden sent a ball into the box from inside his own half for Wright but his diving header at full stretch was off target.
Llado hit a right footed shot from 30 yards on 93 but it curled high and wide of the mark while Marshall's power drive from 35 yards was just off target of the left hand upright.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON, Tommy WRIGHT, Jean-Paul MARNA, Lloyd KERRY, Connor GUDGER (Jan LLADÓ 67), Peter TILL, Scott BARROW, Sam OJI
Subs: James WREN (GK), Jorden IVEY-WARD, Luke BOTTOMER, Charlie COLLINS

Hereford United Team:

Dan HANFORD (GK), Andy GALLINAGH, Chris CARRUTHERS, Luke GRAHAM, Michael TOWNSEND (Ashley SALMON 80), Simon CLIST (Stefan STAM 70), Harry PELL, Sean CANHAM (Tom NICHOLS 67), Marley WATKINS, Sam CLUCAS, Marlon JACKSON
Subs: James McQUILKIN, James BITTNER (GK)

Attendance: 1265

Man of the Match: Zero one chose: Cunnington

Referee: Mr. R. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures