Search results to follow...

Lambs make sure on final day

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Woking

20 April 2013

And so it came to the final game of the season and The Lambs needing victory to be certain of their status in the top flight of non league football for the 2013-14 season. A Stockport win at promotion chasing Kidderminster would mean that anything other than victory for Dale Belford's unchanged starting eleven would mean heartbreak at the final whistle.
After a fine dancing display from ‘Touch of Life', a dozen mascots lead the team on to the field and the sun drenched Lamb, brimming with fans saw Woking get the game underway and after a quick break upfield by the visitors Tamworth started to try and take control including Cunnington robbing the ball from keeper Howe but he wasn't able to do anything with the slim chance on the byline.
At the other end on 8 Breeden had to be strong to prevent Parkinson from making something of a loose running ball down the left of his area.
Tamworth continued to push upfield and Cunnington flashed a glanced header off target but the build up play was very promising.
Billy Knott found a chink of light in the Lambs box on 17 and struck for goal but was unable to get past Marshall.
At the other end Cunnington fell under pressure and won a right sided corner on 19 which Kelly struck left footed but was taken off the head of Cunnington and McAllum made headway, winning a corner at the other end by the clubhouse which was headed off Cunnington by Parkinson for a corner on the other side.
From the corner Tait tried to clear with a flicked header but the visitors took the lead through Stockley's far post header back inside the near post. (0-1, 18 mins)
On 25, Byfield was released by the tenacious work of Courtney out of midfield but Byfield was unable to get a clean shot away before the ball ran out of play.
With10 remaining in the first half Marshall put the scores back on an even keel with a quality if not somewhat unexpected strike from the left channel which crept inside the far post. (1-1, 35 mins)
Cunnington almost got The Lambs in front on 40 but was prevented at the near post by Howe and the corner came to nothing.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Cunnington got his head to Courtney's battled left wing cross but glanced the effort wide of the far post. Byfield was then felled after picking up a good ball through from Hendrie and this set up Kelly with a left footed strike on the corner of the box but it struck the wall and the whistle blew for half time.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Woking

Woking made a couple of changes at half time, and The Lambs got the second period underway attacking the Castle End of the ground.
News came through that there were disturbing scenes at Aggborough after the home side took the lead against Stockport, and meanwhile The Lambs continued to look for a second goal.
Kelly made a good run and crossed fro the left for Till to chest to Byfield but he was unable to connect with the bouncing effort.
Then on the hour, a penalty was awarded when Hendrie was felled in the area by Cestor as he cut the ball back into the box and Cunington duly dispatched his 21st of the season from the penalty spot. (2-1, 60 mins)
McNerney was allowed time and space to try and pick his spot on the left of the Lambs box on 68 but thankfully for Breeden his aim was off.
Cestor left the field by the main stand on 70 chasing the ball and collided with the wall, leaving the player needing some treatment before play could resume.
The Lambs kept up some sustained pressure without doing anything too risky and did their bst to keep the ball inside the final third of the field.
A second goal in the restarted game at Kidderminster eased the pressure on the terraces a little and The Lambs continued to work hard.
Cunnington was replaced by Wright as the minutes ticked down and received a hearty round of applause from The Shed for his efforts over the campaign.
Four minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Woking won a corner on the left which was cleared by virtue of a couple of headers and a run from Kelly which released Hendrie who was in turn brought down by Cester. The Woking defender received a booking for his efforts and play restarted with a right sided freekick from Kelly but there was no need for any rush and the final whistle blew on proceedings and another season in the Conference Premier would be forthcoming next campaign.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT, Marcus KELLY, Michael WYLDE, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON (Tommy WRIGHT 88), Lee HENDRIE, Darren BYFIELD (Kyle PERRY 81), Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER, Peter TILL
Subs: Lloyd KERRY, Danny LLOYD, Liam MITCHELL (GK)

Woking Team:

Subs: Brett JOHNSON, Elvijs PUTNINS (GK), John NUTTER

Attendance: 1509

Referee: Mr. R. JOYCE

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures