Search results to follow...

Lambs and Bucks share six goals

FT: AFC Telford United 3    3 Tamworth

16 February 2013

Following The Lambs midweek point at home to Macclesfield, Dale Belford took his Tamworth squad to Bucks Head to face Mark Cooper's Telford side going in search of their first league win in 20 outings.
Belford made a couple of changes to the side that extended the unbeaten run to three games with the midweek 0-0 draw against the Silkmen as Lloyd Kerry sat out injured, Danny Lloyd took a place on the bench, Sam Oji came into the starting eleven and returning Lamb Michael Wylde came back into the squad after being released by Cambridge and was named as a substitute.
The Lambs got the game underway, kicking towards the David Hutchinson stand and despite the ball making it's way down towards Young a Telford freekick in the center circle allowed Breeden to get an early touch.
Telford were awarded a corner on the left of the Frank Nagington Stand on 4 which Cunnington headed away as ex-Lambs Smith, Trainer  and Hubbins tried to combine to work the ball back in without success.
Henrie had a good chance on the right of the box with seven minutes on the clock but his right footed shot rolled past the far post with Byfield following in at speed but unable to shake his marker toget near the chance.
With 15 on the clock, the chances were not evident for either side and although The Lambs were enjoying more of the game in the Telford half of the pitch and were harder in the tackle and trying to be more creative than their hosts who looked timid in coming forwards.
On 18 the Lambs took the lead when Wright recieved the ball down the right of the box and slapped a powerful right footed shot into the far corner of the goal past the helpless dive of Young. (1-0, 18 mins)
Following the restart Telford pushed forwards and Marshall was forced tohead a couple of dangerous crosses away from danger and a foul by Byfield on Hubbins allowed the home side to attack the box with a right sided freekick which failed to trouble Breeden.
After an earlier tangle the other way round, Smith was spokn to by ther referee for a niggly challenge on Hendrie near the centre spot on 28.
Marhsall was called upon to boot the danger away on 29 as United attacked and a corner was awarded from a blocked shot on the left and a the ball ran long and Kelly and Smith tangled for a freekick on the right, Hendrie's complaints earned him a booking.
From the freekick by the corner flag, Smith's dangerous ball was not dealt with effectively and Craney took two attempts to bundle the ball over the line from close range and level the tie. (1-1, 30 mins)
There was little in the way of action to report as the clock ticked round to 40 minutes gone as Telford continued to frustrate The Lambs attempts at goal.
But as before just when it looked like there was nothing much happening, a deep freekick by Marshall was met by the head of Wright in the center of the box and it nestled into the same far corner as his first goal to give The Lambs the lead once again. (2-1, 41 mins)
2 mins added time was shown at the end of the first half and no further action was forthcoming before the whistle blew.

HT: AFC Telford United 1    2 Tamworth

Telford made a change at the break and got the second half underway with The Lambs now attacking the Frank Nagington Stand and Thorpe was forced to clear the danger from debutant Rodney.
The lively Rodney caused a few problems in the final third and on 49 Hubbins was upended by Byfield earning the Lambs player a booking. From the freekick Breeden went up and landed awkwardly requiring lengthy treatment in the six yard box.
A deadball for the home side on the right, after a foul by Gudger had earned him a booking on 54, saw Rose slide in at the far post and just miss his chance as Telford tried to push forwards, but The Lambs countered as Hendrie and Byfield combined to allow Kelly a left footed cross which just missed the head of Cunnington on 56.
From a United freekick on 62, shortly after their second change of the afternoon, The Lambs ‘escaped' when a rebounding ball came off Reid the wrong way for him to be able to shoot at all but the home side kept up the pressure forcing Tamworth to be very defensive in their attitude to the game.
An attempted curling shot from the right edge of the area on 68 by Reid was happy to be watched out of play by Breeden.
Courtney picked up a booking for time wasting a throw in on 70 and Kelly fired a freekick into the area but it was cleared bythe home defence.
Perry came into the fray for Cunnington on 70 but when Telford won a corner on the left on 72 Trainer's near post header gave Breeden no chance and United drew level once again. (2-2, 72 mins)
Tamowrth's were awarded a corner of their own on 76 and Marshall received it on the right of the area but despite taking his man on and fired wide of the mark courtesy of a slight deflection.
From the resulting flag kick Tommy Wright eventually got his head to the ball from a yard out and recorded his 9th of the season by completing his hat-trick from Kelly's cross from theleft. (3-2, 77 mins)
A foul on the edge of the Lambs box on 82 by Oji which caused a cut to the defenders head meant that Henry struck the dead ball and Breeden tipped it over the bar with Oji still receiving treatment.
It was all square again on 85 when a deep ball into the box was headed by Peniket and saved superbly by Breeden but no one could stop the rebound and shot from Reid going into the back of the net from a yard out. (3-3, 85 mins)
Perry was booked a second time after the start of six minutes added time and so was duly sent from the field of play following a foul on the right of midfield forcing The Lambs to finish the game with 10 men.

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Marcus KELLY, Tom MARSHALL, Adam CUNNINGTON (Kyle PERRY 70), Lee HENDRIE (capt), Tommy WRIGHT, Darren BYFIELD (Danny LLOYD  56), Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER, Jonathon THORPE, Sam OJI
Subs: James WREN (GK), Richard TAIT, Michael WYLDE

AFC Telford United Team:

Ryan YOUNG, Ryan VALENTINE, Ian CRANEY, Phil TRAINER, Bagasan GRAHAM (Richard PENIKET 62), Luke HUBBINS, Jay SMITH (Nialle RODNEY HT), Jake REID, Karlton WATSON, Jordan ROSE, Charlie HENRY
Subs: Will SALMON, Daniel PRESTON, Steven LESLIE


Attendance: 1747

Referee: Mr J. Hopkins

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures