Search results to follow...

A winning (re)start

FT: Tamworth 2    0 Gateshead

02 February 2013

The Lambs got the game underway kicking towards the Meadow Street End but the visitors has the first half chance when a cross from the right was not met at all by Bore's swinging boot and the Tamworth defence cleared.
After a busy first ten minutes with little in the way of chances a freekick fell to Kelly on 11 and he curled the chance just wide of the right hand post from a central position 20 yards out.
A 16th minute corner fell to Kerry on the right of the area and his powerful right footed shot was beaten away by Bartlett in the visitor's goal.
A foul on Hendrie in the centre of the park on 20 allowed the Lambs to try and force the issue up front but it wasn't to be as the freekick into the box was too long and high even for Marshall to reach with his head.
A foul on Till on the right wing on 25 set up Kelly with a freekick which was bundled behind for a corner and the same player sent it short but was forced to recover a misplaced pass from the return ball which Barrow punted forwards.
Another corner was forthcoming shortly after but Marshall's header was not strong enough and Gateshead enjoyed a spell of possession.
And on 34 a foul by Hendrie allowed Gillies to strike direct at goal and force Breeden to tip it over his bar and the ball came out from the corner. Hendrie was brought down by Galpin who earned himself a booking for his efforts.
A foul on Marshall on 38 saw Till put the ball into the box and a corner was won which Marshall headed towards goal, but it was deflected wide and from the corner on the other side the Lambs defender's low shot was easy for Bartlett to collect.
Gudger and Kerry broke over the half way line on 40 but the latter's low shot was tipped around the left hand post by Bartlett and from the resulting corner Till fired high and wide over the target.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half and as the ball ran out of play for a Lambs goal kick, Barrow went down and was unable to continue in obvious agony.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Gateshead

Oji replaced Barrow at half time and Marshall went to left back and Gateshead restarted the match.
The Lambs could be accused of trying to walk the ball into the next as Wright, Kerry and Kelly failed to get a shot away as the ball moved closer and closer to the goal in the box before being eventually cleared to Till who shot high and wide.
Kerry shot well on target on 51 from the edge of the box but it was easy for Bartlett to smother with a regulation dive to his left.
At the other end, Oji and Breeden went for the same ball but the result was good for Tamworth as it prevented the opposition getting a touch in the six yard box, while debutant Thorpe was enjoying a quiet but assured first game on the right of defence.
On 55 Donaldson was well placed to get a diving header away from a right sided cross but didn't manage to force Breeden into a save as his effort went wide of the right hand post.
The first change of the game came on the hour as Hatch came on for Henderson in a swap up front for the visitors.
Till combined well with Thorpe on 65 who did well to whip the ball across the box but found Bartlett  in good form.
Donaldson shot from 18 yards on 66 but his shot went tremendously high and out of the ground, bouncing on a roof in Meadow Street some four or five houses down the road much to the amusement of the home faithful and their Rugby themed chants.
Courtney was guilty of a miss similar to Donaldson's on 67 shooting high over the Castle End terrace with a crowded box ahead of him and both sides made a further change of personnel.
The Lambs won a corner on 73 and did their best to keep the ball upfield as Belford prepared to bring Cunnington into the play.
Hatch put a strong challenge in on Thorpe on 77 and picked up a booking for his efforts.
Cunnington almost made his presence felt on 78 by snaffling the ball out of the path of Bartlett and trying to cut the ball back into the goal but Curtis raced back and cleared the goalbound effort.
Then, a freekick on the right of the field was floated into the box by Kerry and Lloyd took great pleasure in firing low into the near corner to give Tamworth the lead. Unfortunately he was also booked for his post match celebrations. (1-0, 80 mins)
On 86 Wright was inches away from making it two when Lloyd's cross box ball whipped past his outstretched boot.
A freekick on the right by Gateshead was headed down into the ground by Donaldson and took an age to reach Breeden but it did so unhampered and four minutes added time was shown.
Wright was brought down in the box on 92 by Curtis and Cunnington stepped up looking for his 14th of the season and he duly sent Barteltt the wrong way to make it 2-0 with a right footed strike into the bottom right hand corner (2-0, 90 mins)

Tamworth Team:

Tony BREEDEN (GK), Marcus KELLY, Tom MARSHALL, Lee HENDRIE (capt), Tommy WRIGHT, Lloyd KERRY, Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER (Adam CUNNINGTON 75), Peter TILL (Danny LLOYD 68), Scott BARROW (Sam OJI HT), Jonathon THORPE
Subs: James WREN (GK), Darren BYFIELD

Gateshead Team:

Adam BARTLETT (GK), Jamie CHANDLER, James CURTIS, Ben CLARK (capt), Josh GILLIES, Phil TURNBULL, Micky CUMMINS, Ryan DONALDSON, Lewis GALPIN (Luke CARR 77), Liam HENDERSON (Liam HATCH 60), Peter BORE (Patrick BOYLE 68)
Subs: James BROWN, Jordan NIXON (GK)

Attendance: 618

Man of the Match: Tom Marshall

Referee: Mr. D. Ford

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures