Search results to follow...

A point a piece

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Grimsby Town

27 March 2012

The suspension of Paul Green meant that Marcus Law was without his regular captain for the first of two games and so Richard Tait took over the armband for the visit of The Mariners, while Sam Oji came into the back line replacing Green in the only change to the starting eleven from the draw against Gateshead at the weekend.

Grimsby got the game underway kicking towards the Castle End and Wright struck a powerful shot which got the well populated away end.
In the 6th minute Elding released Hearn who was pushed wide of the left of the box but forced Hedge into a stop with his feet.
Nix curled a low shot at McKeown in the next move but the keeper was equal to the effort.
Soares took Tait out in front of the Shed with a strongly applied tackle on 11 but escaped the referee's cards although not the wrath of the vociferous fans around him.
As had been witnessed on Saturday, Tamworth were doing their best to play neat passing football and restricted themselves to high or long balls if only necessary.
There was a close call on 19 when Hedge was forced to punch the ball away from his goal mouth ager Hearn had flicked it back at him from the left of the box.
The visitors won a corner on 21 and it fell to Hearn on the right of the area but The Lambs defence blocked his effort and forced Grimsby back to the half way line. They were not to be stopped though as Townsend weaved his way through into a shooting position and hit a low effort just past the right hand post from the D with Hedge at full stretch.
Barrow, working hard down the right put a quality ball into the box on 25 but found McKeown able to leap and catch the cross and a similar ball but this time from the left wing was just nodded away from Collins at the far post.
Then Baldock was upended as he advanced towards the box, but nothing was given and when a challenge came in on a Grimsby player the whistle blew raising the temperature amongst the bemused home faithful.
Tait followed up the final ball with a shot on 28 which, if it had been on target, would have caused McKeown some problems, and although it didn't Tamworth took heart from their attacking play.
Grimsby then won a corner which brought muted shouts for handball from the attempted volley but nothing was given and then Marna was spoken to, with Tait present, after a foul went against him on the halfway line.
Barrow was released by a fine through pass on 32 but lifted his shot over the bar.
Then, a similar run from Barrow chasing the long ball in a potential one on one with McKeown was cut short by Townsend and the freekick floated into the area before being cleared.
Wood found Hearn with a lofted pass to the edge of the area on 37 which Francis intercepted for a corner from which Soares found Pearson 15 yards from goal and Hedge produced a fine stop to deny the volley a top corner finish to his left.
A slip by Nix almost allowed the visitors a five man run at goal on 39 but Habergham was able to prevent the final ball reaching his target, and the same player denied Elding's shot on the turn 30 seconds later.
Hearn was prevented from forcing Hedge into a save at his near post by Francis' block on 40.
Marna dropped his shoulder to get away from his marker in the right of the area to power a shot at goal on 42 but it took a deflection for a corner and the visiting defence conspired to prevent Francis's header crossing the line.
Another chance presented itself as one minute added time was shown - Nix hit a right footed half volley at goal from a chipped short corner and McKeown had to react quickly to bat the ball away shortly before the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Grimsby Town

The Lambs started the second period with both teams now kicking towards ends with their respective supporters behind the goals.
The Lambs fans were almost celebrating on 49 when a mazy run from Baldock ended with a fingertip save to push the ball over the bar and from the corner Nix fired wide of the right hand post with an angled drive from the left of the area.
Hedge came to the rescue on 51 after Thomas's poor pas was picked up and then Habergham failed to chest the ball back to his keeper allowing Coulson in on the right only to see Hedge anticipating the danger and able to block the shot.
On 58 Hearn got the better of Oji and turned him inside the box then beat Hedge, but struck the left hand upright almost square on and the ball was cleared.
Nix then almost finished a fine prolonged passing move which also inadvertently included the feet of the referee, but his final shot curled high and wide of the mark.
But a goal was forthcoming just past the hour when Miller headed powerfully downwards for goal from a central position off a deep left wing cross and despite Barrow's hefty clearance seemingly off the line the linesman's flag confirmed it had crossed and the goal was awarded. (0-1, 61 mins)
A fine ball in by Tait was finished at the far post by recent introduction Taylor on 67 after Barrow had got his head to the ball and the covering defender had failed to get a decent purchase on it, allowing The Lambs forward to rifle home from close range (1-1, 67 mins)
Tamworth pushed on and won a corner on 70 trying everything they could to get a shot away and eventually Collins put a well struck drive into the arms of McKeown.
On 72 Taylor made a good run down the right and put the ball into the centre for Marna to try and get a foot on, but his attempt to turn it in at the near post was put behind for a corner which was cleared.
Another well executed passing move and movement off the ball ended with a goal kick but once again the home faithful applauded the work and also Marna as he left the field in the final change.
Tait fired in a deep cross form the right looking for Patterson on 86 but direction was difficult to achieve on the header and Grimsby escaped.
The visitors then pushed for a sight of goal but were prevented one by some hardworking defending although they remained camped in the final third as a freekick came in.
Baldock did everything right to get a good view of the goal as three minutes added time was shown, except the final shot from 25 yards curled away to the left of the target.
At the other end, Oji headed a long throw behind for a right sided corner but it came to nothing when a push was spotted in the box and Tamworth finished the game on the attack and a point a piece.

Tamworth Team:

Jonathan HEDGE (GK), Richard TAIT (c.), Sam HABERGHAM, Francino FRANCIS, Sam OJI, Jean-Paul MARNA (Kyle PATTERSON 84), Danny THOMAS (Connor TAYLOR 62), Kyle NIX, Scott BARROW (Liam McDONALD 78), Charlie COLLINS, George BALDOCK

Subs: Connor GUDGER, Ashley GRAYSON

Grimsby Town Team:

James McKEOWN (GK), Michael COULSON (c.) (Kiernon HUGHES-MASON 77), Craig DISLEY, Liam HEARN, Shaun PEARSON, Bradley WOOD, Conor TOWNSEND, Ian MILLER, Andrew WRIGHT, Anthony ELDING (Robert DUFFY 68), Louie SOARES (Frankie ARTUS 68)

Subs: Charlie I'ANSON, Peter WINN

Attendance: 892

Man of the Match: Solus Coaches chose... Richard Tait

Referee: Mrs. Amy Fearn

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures