Search results to follow...

Town through to semis at Lambs expense

FT: Nuneaton Town 1    0 Tamworth

14 February 2012

With boss Marcus Law watching from the stands and Dale Belford instructing from the dugout Tamworth got off to a positive start against their hosts.
Patterson volleyed over the bar from 18 yards in the early exchanges and when Green was fouled, debutant Nix sent a freekick just wide of the left hand upright.
However, Town found space and on 11 Cartwright hit an angled drive from the right of the area to the over the far corner of bar and post, although Hedge was untroubled.
Isaac and Patterson were enjoying some good spells of interplay between the two of them and on 18 the former fed the latter who in turn hit his shot straight at the keeper from 18 yards.
On the half hour mark, Hedge's partially booted clearance was worked back towards goal by York but Brown was off target with his effort.
At the other end Nix fed Reece with a good ball through the home defence and a corner was won but the ball ended up on the roof of the net direct from the corner.
A couple of further chances came quickly with Barrow finding Nix but the latter's shot was taken by Collett and the keeper prevented a Lambs goal on 37 from Isaac's shot.
Brown the hit a left footed shot at goal but it took a slight deflection and failed to cause a problem while on 44 McDonald found Patterson but his left footed strike was also saved.
Patterson saw his shouts for a penalty waved away by the referee as the half time whistle drew near, and just before the break a similar foul on Glover, this time outside the box, resulted in a freekick and Hedge made a good stop to prevent anything separating the two sides at the interval.

HT: Nuneaton Town 0    0 Tamworth

Tamworth were now attacking the goal behind which approx 50 Lambs fans were segregated from the 200 or so Town fans although Hedge was having trouble getting the ball straight down field towards them in the cold wind.
Again, Tamworth started brightly and McDonald found Reece but his shot went wide of the woodwork but Nuneaton were soon on top.
A deflection took Brown's shot over the bar on 53 and then on 55 York put the ball into the net from a left sided corner with a powerful right footed finish at the far post only to see it ruled out for a foul in the build up.
However, the home crowd didn't have long to celebrate ‘again' as from York's right wing cross, Brown rose above his marker to head into the net from a few yards out with Hedge unable to get near it.
Both sides then made changes and Tamworth pushed on to try and get an equaliser and at least force extra time, however despite the best intentions of sub Thomas, Patterson, Gudger and Shariff it was not to be and Collett put his side through to the Semi Finals by denying Gudger's powerful strike in the dying minutes with a good stop which Shariff was unable to follow up, finding the side netting from a tight angle instead.
Before this Hedge had done very well to deny Mitchley's rasping shot with a finger-tip over the bar but when Barrow tried a similar driven effort in added time his shot rose up and over the stand, shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Francis, Reece (Thomas 67), McDonald, Patterson, Nix (Gudger 67), Green, Isaac, Barrow, McKoy (Shariff HT)
Unused: Andrew, Headley

Yellow Card: Green 81

Nuneaton Town Team:
Collett, Cartwright, Forsdick, Noon, Dean, Hadland (Moore 75), York, Mills, Glover (Mitchley 71), Brown, Armson
Unused: Alcock

Attendance: 261

Referee: Ms. S. Massey

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures