Search results to follow...

Lambs tamed and taken out by Tigers

FT: Worksop 1    0 Tamworth

10 December 2011

It's been a tumultuous week for The Lambs, the sad passing of Len Gendle was quickly followed by the heroic win over Gateshead and elation of the draw against Everton and then a disappointing show at Forest Green in midweek.
Marcus Law's squad brought themselves to Sandy Lane the home for The Tigers of Worksop Town for an FA Trophy 1st Round tie and a ‘real' chance of a date at Wembley and the manager made a number seven changes to the midweek side bringing Joe Collister in for Hedge in goal and also Will Grocutt into the starting eleven for his full debut after impressing in training.

Meanwhile, the Evostik Premier side hosts were ravaged by injury, suspension and cup tied players and were forced to put a makeshift bench together but were hungry to keep their run of good form going, having lost just three times in 20 games since 01 October.

The home side got the game underway in their amber and black against the all white Lambs.
The opening exchanges consisted mainly of Tamworth clearing their lines and trying to get over the half way line as the home side worked hard to push up the field.
On 5 Jackson put a good cross in from the left for Worksop and Francis headed it behind for a corner which The Lambs cleared but were soon on the back foot again.
A couple of minutes later Warlow forced the Tamworth defence to clear again with from another left wing cross.
At the other end, lone striker Christie was not getting much luck or really anywhere near the ball while in the 9th minute Warlow connected well enough with a low ball in from Hudson, again down the left, but put the chance over the bar and then Sharry and Jackson struck low balls at Collister who blocked and smothered each time.
Green sent a long through ball almost to the feet of Mills in the right of the Worksop area on 11 but keeper Worsnop was quickest out while Tait was lucky not to concede a penalty running across Jackson to head the ball back to Collister.
Young put a fine ball into the box for Burbeary on 16 and the latter almost beat Collister with a looping shot over the top but only managed to find the roof of the net.
At the other end Barrow put a left sided cross in and Worsnop fumbled setting up Grocutt with a snap shot but the keeper recovered and fumbled it around the near post for a corner which the Tigers headed away.
Courtney sent a ball forward for Green but Sheils got it first and put it behind for another flag kick on 20 but a climb from Mills ended the dead ball as quick as it started.
Barrow's 25th minute left sided freekick was met well by Francis at the back of the box but not followed in by his teammates. On 28 Tait's ball in was cleared away from the head of Christie, and Barrow unleashed a low shot from distance, but missed the far post by a couple of feet.
Barrow and Farah combined but found their route blocked on the half hour while the hosts played a good passing game to get into a good position at the opposite end, but Sharry was unable to get his shot on target and lifted it high over the bar.
Tait caused problems with a left wing cross on 37 and Barrow tried another low drive into the far corner but found too many defenders in the way. The latter needed treatment after a clash with Gardner then Thomas forced a fine save from Worsnop on 39 with a left footed sweep which the keeper parried behind for a corner. Worksop broke quickly from the flagkick, with Jackson ending the sprint upfield with a low shot which Collister held comfortably.
Tait lifted the ball to the edge of the area on 43 and Christie got a lobbed shot away which would have comfortably beaten Worsnop who was way out of his goal, had it been on target, but it wasn't, so it didn't.

HT: Worksop 0    0 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted the game after the break kicking in the direction of the proposed new Town ground which would be sited about 1/2 a mile up the road.
Young fed Jackson with a fine through ball on 50 and the latter put the ball into the net past Collister from the edge of the area with ease but that was probably because he was a yard offside and so the strike didn't count.
Francis hobbled off on 53 to be replaced by Patterson.
Farah made headway down the left on 56 and found Christie at the back of the box who headed back for Mills but his header struck right hand upright and was cleared.
Jackson and Green clashed heads around the hour mark and both needed a visit from the magic sponge before returning to the game.
The opening goal of the game came when Warlow put the ball across the box on 62 and Burbeary finished the chance, after Collister parried past the far post, to give the home side the lead (0-1, 62 mins)
Hudson tried an audacious lob from 40 yards which went harmlessly wide of Collisters goal a minute or so before Shariff replaced Mills up front with just over 20 to go.
The Lambs created a bit of havoc in the Worksop area but the ball was cleared to the home sides left wing and Warlow picked up the first card of the game for a late challenge on Tait on 71.
Christie received a final warning from the referee after a challenge Hudson on 74 and Shariff flashed a header across the box past Worsnop and out past the far post on 75 as Tamworth looked to get something from the game.
Grocutt saw his goalbound snap shot somehow blocked by a raft of home defenders on 76 in what seemed to be a definite debut strike.
A good cross from the left Farah rebounded goalward on 78 but Worsnop smothered the half chance and half chance fell to Christie when the keeper could only parry a loose ball but once again the defence held strong and cleared the danger.
A strong run by Burbeary was almost halted by Barrow but he was forced to concede a corner on 86 which caused problems for The Lambs defence but Barrow cleared and Tamworth won a corner.
However, Workshop broke and Jackson had the ball in the net again but was called offside after his fine take and finish from 20 yards.
Added time was shown but couldn't be seen from the other side of the pitch (!) and it came and went without a Lambs equaliser putting an end to the Trophy hopes for another 12 months.

Tamworth Team:

Collister, Tait, Courtney, Francis (Patterson 53), Mills (Shariff 68), Thomas, Green, Barrow, Christie, Grocutt, Farah
Subs: Gudger, Taylor, Hedge

Worksop Team:

Worsnop, Gardner (Wilson James 83), Wood, Young, Shield, Cotterill, Burbeary, Hudson, Jackson, Sharry, Warlow
Subs: Taylor, Powell, Wilson Jake, Zolna

Yellow Cards: Warlow 71

Attendance: 343

Referee: D. Handley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures