Search results to follow...

Late St Aimie strike gives Lambs Heed

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Hinckley United

22 November 2011

Following the two goal comeback at home to Kettering on Friday night Marcus Law made four changes to the starting eleven. Mills and Green took no part while Habergham and St. Aimie came off the bench to take a place on the pitch. On the opposite bench, Dean Thomas brought his orange clad Knitters to The Lamb with both sides looking for a second round trip to Gateshead should they be successful.

With Tait wearing the Lambs captains armband, Hinckley kicked off proceedings towards the Castle End and both teams found it hard to get a grip on proceedings and the first real shot came on 6 minutes from Oddy, forcing Hedge into a full length mid air save to his near post on the left of the box. When the dead ball came in Belcher saw his 6 yard finish blocked by Hedge's feet.
A superb curling deep pass to the feet of Patterson saw the Lambs striker advance unmarked into the box. As he shaped to shoot he appeared to get a push in the back from thee covering defender, but there was no infringement given by the referee much to the dismay of the home faithful.
Then on 11 St. Aimie cut a cross box shot just past the left hand upright as the Lambs enjoyed their first extended spell of possession.
A foul on Patterson set up Tait on the left of the area on 15 and he fired a right footed ball into the far post which Hinds punched clear. St Aimie tried to fire the ball back in but the keeper was well positioned to deny his driven shot.
A Lambs attack was thwarted on the edge of the area on 20 and play was halted briefly for Lavery to change into a shirt without blood on it. When play was restarted (with Lavery still off the field), St. Aimie's pass into the area was screwed up into the air by the visiting defence and forced Hinds to collect at height.
Tait sent a fine ball to St. Aimie in the box on 27 but Hinds was on hand to deny a close range finish from a good initial take down by the Tamworth striker.
At the other end, Byrne's cross from the left was headed away from danger and out past the far by Francis.
Kanyuka was penalised for a foul on Gooding on the left corner of the box on 29 but the freekick was scuffed by Kerry although a corner was won. Hedge prevented a good move reaping dividends when the flag kick was worked to the edge of the box and Lavery needed more treatment to his cut as the corner was cleared away.
on 36 Bradley slammed a right footed drive from 25 yards at goal and forced Hinds into a similar save to that which Hedge pulled off earlier in the game. The corner though, came to nothing.
Tait drove a low shot in toward the near post from the right of the area on 41 and it rebounded strongly back out in the direction from whence it came, but there was no one on hand to follow in effectively.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half, which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Hinckley United

Tamworth got the second half underway at the second attempt with both teams now attacking the respective fans behind each goal.
On 47, Shariff cut the ball across the box from the left and Patterson was unable to stab the ball home from a couple of yards out, seeing it eventually hooked away for a corner which Francis headed wide of the far post.
A further chance came on 48 through Patterson's left footed shot from the left as he entered the box, but it was off target and try as they might The Lambs couldn't get a decisive touch on the next few balls into the area.
Thomas was replaced by Christie on 52 but it was Patterson again who dragged his shot wide of the left hand post under pressure.
Gooding brought down Shariff for a booking on the hour, but Habergham's freekick was easy to clear by the visitors who sprinted to the other end then wasted the opportunity to set up a chance.
Back down at the Castle End, a couple of Lambs shots fired in at Hinds, the latter of which on 65 came from Shariff but went straight into the keepers arms.
A foul by Byrne on Tait by the right corner flag gave McDonald a dead ball and he fired it into the box but Hinds punched clear out as far as Bradley who then tried a long distance drive but missed the target by some distance.
Kerry lofted a right footed shot at Hedge and the keeper took it at chest height.
Patterson turned in the box and slipped the ball to Christie, but he had to adjust his position before shooting and had to be content with a deflected shot and a corner.
At the other end a slight deflection took Gray's shot into the arms of Hedge from 8 yards out and the clock ticked in the final fifteen minutes of normal time and a step nearer extra time.
Elsewhere in the FA Cup with Budweiser, Stourbridge succeeded in defeating league opposition while league opponents Wrexham notched up their second goal of the evening and so December 3rd looked increasingly like either a trip to Gateshead or no game.
A back header by Raglan almost but didn;t quite let Christie in, and Hinds was not really troubled by the inrushing attacker.
On 82 Oddy upended Patterson in front of the dugout to earn himself the fourth booking of the match - two a piece - and although Francis got his head to the deep freekick, he couldn't quite get the direction on it to force Hinds into any action other than collecting it from its final resting place behind the net.
Gray found space on the right on 84 to put a ball across the box but there was no other Hinckley player nearby.
Barrow replaced Patterson on the left with a minute of normal time remaining and Christie won a corner. The ball came in and was saved by Hinds and only half cleared a yard or so before falling to St. Aimie who powered it home and give the Tamworth the lead (1-0, 90 mins)
Four minutes added time were shown on the fourth officials board as The Knitters restarted play.
With time running out St. Aimie and Lavery were booked after an altercation on the half way line in front of the main stand and after all handbags had been put away the whistle blew on victory and passage to the second round.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Francis, St. Aimie, Thomas (Christie 52), McDonald, Patterson (Barrow 89), Bradley, Shariff, Kanyuka
Substitutes: (five only) Collister, Taylor, Healy

Yellow Cards: Christie 69, Tait 74, St. Aimie 90

Hinckley United Team:

Hinds, Oddy, Dudley, Lavery, Raglan, Belcher (Joyce), Kerry, Gooding, Newton, Gray, Byrne
Substitutes: (five only) Holt, Flanagan, Richards-Everton, Knight

Yellow Cards: Gooding 60, Oddy 82, Lavery 90

Attendance: 1583

Man of the Match: Chosen by Commputer Friendly: Richard Tait

Referee: Mr. D. Bond

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures