Search results to follow...

Lambs through to the first round

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Kings Lynn Town

29 October 2011

FA Cup fever hit the Lamb for the first time in the current campaign as Marcus Law's squad welcomed the recently reformed Kings Lynn Town of the UCL Premier - some four leagues / 82 places below Tamworth - to The Lamb under the guidance for former player Gary Setchell who made 21 appearances in the Lambs inaugural Conference campaign back in 2003-04.

Following the previous weekend's point at Southport Law made five changes to the starting eleven, one enforced as Tait sat out through suspension, and had a packed bench as the competition allows seven subs.

The visitors got the game underway with Tamworth attacking the Meadow Street End populated with numerous Linnets.
An early half chance fell Tamworth's way as the home side pushed forward but on 3 Jack Defty tried to reach a long pass to the far post from the left wing and was unsuccessful.
Spriggs found way through the Lambs right side of defence to curl an easy shot at Hedge, and then Cain put on a burst of speed down the opposite wing, beating Buhlemann for pace, but his cross was too long for anyone to get near.
St Aimie headed wide of the near post when well placed from Thomas's left wing freekick on 9 and then on 10 Smith was caught napping and almost punished by Beaumont who fired a low shot from 20 yards harmlessly wide, but probably should have done better with his chance.
Handball by Courtney on the edge of the area set up King Lynn's Jamie Thurlbounre with a freekick which he powered into the far corner to give the visitors the lead (0-1, 12 mins)
Street punched a Thomas cross from the right clear from danger on 18 while Beaumont almost connected sweetly with a left wing cross in the counter move but the ball skimmed off his head.
Jamie Thurlebourne set up another freekick on 20 but only found the wall in his way as the Linnets continued to make their presence felt in the Castle End of the pitch.
Yong was booked for a late challenge on Cain as he tried to go past him in front of the shed.
From the freekick the ball found it's way onto the head of Patterson who nodded into the far corner to level the tie (1-1, 22 mins).
A long throw was flicked on by Kanyuka and off the head of a visiting defender for a corner on 29, then from the flag kick the same player came rushing in at the back of the box, but was unable to divert the chance home.
From a corner at the other end Defty headed into the down in the ground and it bounced in the arms of Hedge which allowed Patterson to break quickly to the other end but found defenders in the way of his ball through the centre.
St. Aimie rifled a right footed half volley at Street on 35 after a slip by Yong let him in and the keeper held it well, as he did on 37 when Patterson hit a right footed shot from 12 yards following a left wing cross which the Linnets defence failed to clear.
Watson was spoken by the referee to for feigning a push against him inside his own box as Tamworth attacked and Courtney received one on 39 for a challenge that the referee deemed to be dangerous.
Cain and Bradley tried to get a shot away on 41, with the latter winning a corner and St. Aimie powered home a header at the near post to give The Lambs the lead. (2-1, 41 mins)
Bradley screwed a shot well wide of the mark when well placed as Tamworth went in search of a third before the break and Patterson was beaten to the through ball from St. Aimie on 44 by a textbook slide from Street.
Street then prevented Patterson from doubling his tally after persistence from the Lambs striker saw him break free of the defence on the edge of the area.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended with the Lambs in the driving seat.

HT: Tamworth 2    1 Kings Lynn Town

Patterson went close on 51 when his header was blocked by Street and St. Aimie was unable to follow it up.
St. Aimie was unable to finish a good chance on 53 from Bradley's right wing cross which started as a move for four against one but ended with the visiting defence showing their strength.
Then, on 54, St. Aimie clipped the top of the bar with a header from Cain's ball in from the right.
Christie came on, on 63, and Bradley screwed a header from St. Aimie's right wing ball wide of the mark a minute later.
Kanyuka was booked for a strong sideways barge on Beaumont on 68 and there was a straight swap a couple of minutes later as Shariff came on for St. Aimie.
A deep cross from Cain on the right on 80 was met well my8 the head of Christie, but it dropped the wrong side of the bar and Linnets captain Watson was booked for a challenge on Christie inside the Kings Lynn half. From it, Shariff rose highest but was unable to really test Street with his header.
But the attacker did cause the keeper into a decent save on 83 with a right sided shot which Street put behind for a corner which came to nothing.
Habergham made his way into the box on 90 but his ball into the box was put high into the air rather than into the net by Green and three minutes added time was shown.
Shariff then dragged his shot wide of the far post and Luke Thurlbourne almost snatched an equaliser with a right footed drive from distance which went just over the bar shortly before the whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Habergham, Courtney (Francis HT), Smith, Cain, St. Aimie (Shariff 70), Thomas, Patterson (Christie 63), Green, Bradley, Kanyuka
Substitutes: McDonald, Barrow, Collister, Taylor

Yellow Cards: Kanyuka 68

Kings Lynn Town Team:

Street, Bexfield, Yong, Watson, Buhlemann, White, Spriggs, L. Thurlbourne, Defty, Beaumont (Harris 77), J. Thurlbourne (Livoti 87)
Substitutes: (Four only) Fryatt, Hails

Yellow Cards: Yong 12, Watson 81

Attendance: 966

Man of the Match: WLC Logistics chose Daniel Bradley

Referee: Mr. C. Kavanagh

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures