Search results to follow...

Season finishes all square

FT: Tamworth 2    2 Cambridge United

28 April 2012

For the final run out of the season, Marcus Law made four changes to the side that had started at Stockport the previous weekend. Richard Tait and Jean-Paul Marna returned along with Kyle Nix  and Charlie Collins as The Lambs looked to end the campaign on a high with a rare home win.

Cambridge got the game underway and in the opening exchanges both sides worked their way into the opposition boxes .
With 11 minutes gone, Jennings fired in a freekick from the left wing and Hughes rose high to head the ball against the left hand corner of bar and post.
Five minutes later though The Lambs took the lead when Marna prodded home the loose ball from 12 yards out. (1-0, 16 mins)
Jarvis struck for goal from distance on 20 and Hedge pulled off a fine stop to deny United a quick equaliser with the resulting corner from the left going out past the far post.
On 25 Barrow was undone by Hudson and the Cambridge players ball to the near post was turned behind by Francis with Hedge covering. The corner came to nothing.
Christie almost squeezed his shot from the left of the box in at the far post but found Naisbitt equal to his effort.
Marna then had a penalty claim turned away as he dribbled the ball along the edge of the area.
Scores were level on the half hour when Marriot turned the ball home with a deft glanced low header from six yards out after Hughes had put the ball into the box and The Lambs defence were unable to get in to deny him a near post finish. (1-1, 30 mins)
And that's how it ended after the 45 + 1 minute added.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Cambridge United

Thirty seconds after the break Patrick fired a low cross from the right and despite Tait trying to clear as it rolled towards the line Marriott finished it off with a touch to make sure at the far post (1-2, 46 mins)
Naisbitt picked up a booking on 46 and on 50 Naisbitt latched onto a poor pass from Green but was crowded out as he tried to line up a shot.
Tait crossed from the right for Collins but he was denied a header by the covering defender.
At the other end on 54 Christie was brought down by McAuley but saw his penalty saved. However, Collins picked up the loose ball and chipped back for Marna to head past Naisbitt to level the tie once again (2-2, 54 mins)
Green picked up a booking for a foul midway inside the Cambridge half.
Jennings was booked on 72 setting up a Lambs freekick 20 yards out slightly right of centre and Barrow struck the dead ball straight into the wall allowing Cambridge to clear.
Marna tried hard to finish a loose ball chance on the left of the box shortly after but won a corner when it deflected out at the near post.
Gudger struck a left footed curler from 25 yards on 79 and Naisbitt tipped it over the bar at full stretch for a corner which McDonald flicked on but a clash of heads halted proceedings.
For Lambs Michael Wylde entered the fray replacing the two goal Marriott with ten to go.
Christie was bundled over with seven to go but there was no hint of a penalty being given.
With a couple of minutes remaining Patrick brought a fine stop from Hedge as his header looked goal bound but the keeper flicked it up and over the bar and four minutes added time was indicated.
Hughes picked up a third yellow for United following a late challenge on the half way line as the seconds ticked away.
Barrow then directed a header at Naisbitt which the keeper took at chest height and Marna made a good run into the box but his final pass was blocked and the whistle blew shortly afterwards prior to thee Lambs being clapped off the field by the fans.

Tamworth Team:

Jonathan HEDGE (GK), Richard TAIT, Duane COURTNEY, Francino FRANCIS, Jean-Paul MARNA, Liam McDONALD, Kyle NIX (Kyle PATTERSON 57), Paul GREEN (c.), Scott BARROW, Iyseden CHRISTIE, Charlie COLLINS (Connor GUDGER 57)


Cambridge United Team:

Daniel NAISBITT (GK), James JENNINGS (c.) (James BRIGHTON 73), Michael GASH (Harrison DUNK 66), Rory McAULEY, Ross JARVIS, Liam HUGHES, Luke BERRY, Adam MARRIOTT (Tom SHAW 80), Jordan PATRICK, Blaine HUDSON, Jonathon THORPE

Subs: Jack EADES, Liam HURST

Attendance: 1137

Man of the Match: Tamworth Fireplace selected Liam McDonald

Referee: Mr. G. Horwood

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures