Search results to follow...

Defensive errors give Imps revenge

FT: Lincoln City 4    0 Tamworth

31 March 2012

While it's quite possible that a Lambs fan has been to Sincil Bank prior to kick off this was Tamworth's first ever visit to the ‘legendary' ex-Football League ground and there was a tinge of excitement amongst the travelling faithful a number of whom took the advantage to do some sight-seeing in the city prior to the game.

Lambs boss Marcus Law had no such luxury but made just one change to the side that  drew 1-1 in midweek replacing Jean-Paul Marna with Connor Taylor up front, meanwhile Dean Holdsworth's home side featured a memorable Lambs name in Jake Sheridan..

An air raid siren and the sound of fighter planes followed by the Battle of Britain music welcomed the two teams onto the field of play and decked out in the all white change kit The Lambs were applauded onto the field by the 100 plus travelling fans.

Tamworth got the game underway and inside the first 30 seconds Hedge got his first touch when a Sheridan pass went awry for a goal kick.
Francis was adjudged to have held back Pacquette on the half way line and Nutter sent the ball forwards. Francis had got back quickly and headed the ball up in the air wrong footing the advancing Hedge, but a push by the Lincoln forwards prevented them from scrambling the ball over the line and the linesman's flag halted play.
With 7 minutes gone,  Bore was presented with a chance to rifle home from a position 6 yards out in front of goal when the Lambs defence failed to clear and Bore needed no asking to give his side the lead. (0-1, 7 mins), incidentally the first goal of the afternoon in the Blue Square Bet Premier.
Pacquette and Louis looked to have beaten the Lambs offside trap on 12 when Power's ball over the top but the flag denied them both a run at an exposed Hedge and his goal.
Nix found space in the middle of the home half on 14 and played the ball into the path of the advancing Thomas in the left channel but the latter's shot went past the right hand upright of Anyon's goal and out.
Hedge advanced to prevent Pacquette's move down to the right to the edge of his box, but with the ball out of play The Lambs were forced to deal with another long throw from Miller. Oji did this effectively it was an obvious danger and it was the last of Pacquette's dealings in the tie as he had to leave the game shortly after through injury to be replace by Jamie Taylor.
Connor Taylor (now referred to as Connor) cut into the box in the next move but saw his attempt blocked and cleared.
On 26, and as Baldock nursed an ankle knock in the middle of the park, Bore looked for his second with a far post header that Hedge was not troubled by. Baldock returned ot the field but it took a while for him to run off the discomfort and while he was trying to do this Taylor nearly got the better of Oji, forcing the ball out for a Miller throw which Hedge punched and Gowling fired back in, only for Thomas to put the ball in at the far post inadvertently doubled the lead with a deflection past his own keeper. (0-2, 30 mins)
Baldock was unable to continue and so McDonald came on as City won a corner on the right. Habergham headed the swirling chance out for anther flag kick on the opposite side and Hedge had to claw it out under pressure from under the bar.
A first real testing shot of the game by a Lambs player came on 37 when Barrow (not Barlow!) stuck from distance and Anyon was forced to watch it all the way.
Bore forced a corner from a tight position on 40 and Nutter curled the ball into the box, but a foul on Hedge halted play as he tried to catch the ball under pressure.
Lincoln were deep in the Lambs three minutes of added time was shown by fourth official Barry Lamb and a Sheridan cross was headed away by Francis and the half came to a close without further incident.

HT: Lincoln City 2    0 Tamworth

Both sides made a change before home side got the second half underway and in the 47th minute a penalty was awarded when Collins clattered into Gowling. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Power slammed home straight down the middle to make extend the home lead (0-3, 48 mins)
As is the norm The Lambs fans continued singing despite the scoreline, and a Miller throw was not dealt with allowing Louis head wide of the mark.
Shortly after Sheridan made a run down the right and curled the ball into the box looking for the run of Taylor but Hedge was quickest to it.
Thomas forced a corner via the head of Gowling on 56 but the home side broke and Tait got to the ball before Sheridan could do any damage.
Thomas sent another ball in from the left but Anyon punched it clear and play quickly switched to the other end where Oji had to concede a corner against the run of Louis.
A Barrow flag kick caused some problems on the hour and Francis headed over the bar before Hedge was forced to use his body to block the ball when Oji and Louis went head to head on the edge of the area in the next move.
Barrow then lined up a freekick 35 yards out but McDonald hit it and cleared the goal with some ease.
Power sent a fine ball through the Lambs back line to Taylor and he flicked it round Hedge but was prevented any sort of a sight of goal by Francis.
A deep cross from Sheridan on 67 forced Tait to put the ball behind for another corner to the home side and substitute Grayson got his first touch, heading the long ball out behind for another on the opposite side which City played short and wasted.
Grayson was then awarded a freekick as he tried to advance past Gowling on the half way line but would his path blocked. The home defender was booked for his trouble and when Barrow eventually got the ball his shot from 40 yards went just wide of the right hand upright.
The referee asked Anyon to speed play up with a quarter of an hour to go, although to be fair to the home keeper the ball was a long way from him at the time and then Tait took evasive action by hurdling the hoardings in the main stand bringing a cheer from the crowd.
Gowling left Grayson prostrate on the floor once again on 75 with a hefty mid air challenge and Hedge found his opposite number with the long kick to resume play.
While Patterson struggled to get his aim right with a shot from distance on 79 Sheridan's effort at the other end took a deflection and won a corner which came to nothing as the home side looked content to work for openings and Sheridan missed a glorious chance from Lloyd's low cross.
The referee booked both Oji and Francis for time wasting / reaction to the booking on 81 and on 82 it went from bad to worse when Sheridan and Power combined looking for the final pass to Taylor but Thomas slid in to put past Hedge to take his unfortunate tally to two and make it four for the home side courtesy of a low rolling ball into the empty net from the edge of the box (0-4, 82 mins)
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game which couldn't come fast enough for the 143 travelling fans.

Tamworth Team:

Jonathan HEDGE (GK), Richard TAIT (c.), Sam HABERGHAM, Francino FRANCIS, Sam OJI, Connor TAYLOR (Kyle PATTERSON HT), Danny THOMAS, Kyle NIX, Scott BARROW, Charlie COLLINS (Ashley GRAYSON 66), George BALDOCK (Liam McDONALD 32)

Subs: Duane COURTNEY, Connor GUDGER

Yellow Cards: Oji 81, Francis 82

Lincoln City Team:

Joe ANYON, Paul ROBSON, Tom MILLER, Josh GWOLING, John NUTTER, Alan POWER, Tyrone THOMPSON, Peter BORE (Danny LLOYD HT), Jake SHERIDAN (Nialle RODNEY 85), Jefferson LOUIS, Richard PACQUETTE (Jamie TAYLOR 21)

Subs: Nicky NICOLAU, Nick DRAPER

Yellow Cards: Gowling 66

Attendance: 2213

Referee: Mr. K Evans

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures