Search results to follow...

Point and a goal a piece

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Gateshead

24 March 2012

After a second point courtesy of a second goalless run out in midweek, The Lamb welcomed Ian Bogie's ‘Heed side and Marcus Law made four changes to the side that started in midweek.
New signings Charlie Collins and George Baldock lined up alongside their new teammates with Danny Thomas and Scott Barrow coming in as well.

In glorious sunshine Tamworth kicked the game off towards the Castle End of the ground and started proceedings with some fine interplay and passing movement which barely allowed the visitors a sight of the ball.
In the 10th minute, Gateshead had their first real foray forwards but Gate's cross was taken easily by Hedge and a corner was forthcoming on 11 which Habergham cleared.
The 500th minute without a Lambs goal came on 14 as a corner whipped in but was just too high for Tait at the far post.
At the other end on 17 Shaw's attempt to strike at the ball on the volley was blocked and Hedge was able to gather the loose ball.
Another corner for the visitors came on 19 but the header from Shaw was booted away from danger amid tame shouts for a handball which were waved away.
Marna put the ball into the back of the net with a low strike on 22 but play had been called back for off side.
Thomas worked his way through to put the ball into the box for Marna on 24 but it was just behind the striker.
Despite keeping the ball from Gateshead for prolonged periods, on 27 Shaw rose unmarked in a central position to nod home his 27th of the season from a right wing cross, sending it past the despairing dive to the right of Hedge. (0-1, 27 mins)
On 32 a deep ball to the right hand side of the area was met by Tait, but his ball back was hoofed out of the box.
Marna was not quite quick enough to get to a ball prodded through the back line by Barrow on 38, but Farman was able to slide out and prevent the striker getting anything on it.
Gate struck for goal on 40 but his effort deflected from the edge of the box and out for a corner on the right hand side which was played short and came to nothing.
Then on 43 Farman blatantly brought down Collins as he entered the box on the left. The keeper was not booked and was sent the wrong way by Marna who scored The Lambs first goal for 530 minutes with a well taken penalty. (1-1, 44 mins).
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Gateshead

Gateshead started the second period and The Lambs quickly won possession attacking through a Tait run down the right wing but Farman was not put under any pressure and dropped to collect the ball easily.
As The lambs continued to press Barrow unleashed a power drive and almost lifted the goal out of the ground when it struck the left hand upright and came back out but Marna was unable to keep his shot down.
Another positive move saw Collins stri8ke at Farman after Marna had unselfishly played him through a crowded box.
A Lambs corner came on 52 an Barrow hit is from the left for Baldock, but his effort landed in Meadow Street.
With 65 on the clock, Curtis got a glancing headed at goal and forced Hedge to be careful about his catch, so as not to cross the line when he stopped it at head height, and then Hatch won a corner on the left. Habergham headed it away and the hard working Baldock put the ball out as the visitors made their first change.
However, from the throw Shaw was able to place a header at goal only to see it cleared off the line before play was stopped for a cut to the head on Green. Barrow and Hatch were both booked for a confrontation after the whistle had blown.
Collins ended his good debut run out on 71 as Patterson replaced him in a straight swap up front.
After a period of midfield frustration Gateshead took a corner on the right but Curtis couldn't get direction on his header.
Both sides made a change and Baldock was roundly applauded as he left the field for McDonald.
Green picked up his 10th booking of the season a minute or so after tackling Shaw in the centre circle, as the referee had allowed play to continue before pulling a card out.
Carruthers was then booked for a late challenge on Thomas in front of the Shed as Grayson came on for his debut for Barrow.
Patterson and Marna combined to send the ball into the area on 88 but Grayson was beaten to the chance by Farman.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and a foul on Marna on the left wing allowed The Lambs to regroup and set up from McDonald's freekick. But the ball wouldn't drop and a long high ball into the box from the half way line ultimately found it's way back to Farman shortly before the final whistle blew.
(101 Away fans)

Tamworth Team:

Jonathan HEDGE (GK), Richard TAIT, Sam HABERGHAM, Francino FRANCIS, Jean-Paul MARNA, Danny , THOMAS, Kyle NIX, Paul GREEN (c.), Scott BARROW (Ashley GRAYSON 84), Charlie COLLINS (Kyle PATTERSON 71), George BALDOCK (Liam McDONALD 79)

Subs: Connor TAYLOR, Connor GUDGER

Yellow Cards: Barrow 69, Green 82

Gateshead Team:

Paul FARMAN (GK), Kris GATE, James CURTIS, Ben CLARK, Martin BRITTAIN (Chris MOORE 79), Jon SHAW, Micky CUMMINS (James MARWOOD 67), Craig BAXTER, Liam HATCH (Josh GILLIES 89), Chris CARRUTHERS, Jamie CHANDLER

Subs: Tim DEASY (GK), Paul DUMMETT

Yellow Cards: Hatch 69, Carruthers 83

Attendance: 968

Man of the Match: Match Sponsors: Baldock

Referee: Mr. C. Brakespear

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures