Search results to follow...

Stags comeback to deny Lambs

FT: Mansfield Town 2    1 Tamworth

25 February 2012

After Tuesday night's superb comeback victory, which just proved the old adage of not leaving before the final whistle, Marcus Law brought his side to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town with a 19 man squad on the coach and made just one change to the starting eleven from midweek with Patterson replacing St. Aimie.

For the first time in the coming fortnight the two sides kicked off with Mansfield attacking the away end and the home side immediately pushed forwards winning a corner from McKoy's screwed clearance.
Barrow headed O'Neills flag kick away but Tait conceded another corner after pressure from Mansfield's Green.
Hedge punched the in-swinging effort corner behind for another one on the opposite side but The Lambs got it away and Christie combined with Marna but The Lambs were unable to test Marriott.
7: After weathering the initial flurry by the home side Tamworth forged a good chance from a good through ball to Marna on the right of the area but he couldn't keep his right footed shot down and cleared the crossbar.
8: A foul on Christie on the left wing gave McDonald a freekick and it was headed behind by O'Neill for a Lambs corner on the right which was headed away strongly and then cleared all the way back to Hedge by Green.
10: Action switched to the opposite end and Meikle ended a period of pressure with a driven angled right footed shot which Hedge did well to parry behind for another corner. The keeper punched it clear and from the resulting long throw in by Geohaghon, Sutton put the ball in the net from 6 yards, but the effort was ruled out by the referee for a push in the build up.
15: Tamworth then enjoyed a spell of with the ball in the final third of the Mansfield half but the home side quickly broke and when Hedge was unable to prevent the ball going past him as he rushed out it looked like Matt Green would net his 21st of the season, however the Lambs defence got back quick enough to make him look for a pass and the chance came to nothing.
20: Tait fed Marna with a fine ball down the right who in turn found Christie but was denied either a run at goal or a pass to the incoming Patterson by the call of the linesman who judged him to be just offside.
25: A corner from the right came out to Green and he hit a strong low shot at goal which Marriott batted away but only as far as Marna a couple of yards out and his snap shot was blocked on the line and then cleared amid shouts of handball, although from this distance it was difficult to categorically say if it was an arm or shoulder of midriff.
27: A couple of niggly fouls saw Tamworth awarded a freekick on the right wing and work to forge and opening and it came when McDonald chipped across the box for Courtney who struck for the target and forced a fine save from Marriott diving to his left.
29: McDonald was involved again when his left wing ball looking for Patterson was put behind for a left sided corner which Mansfield had to defend strongly.
34: Sutton picked up a booking for a foul on Marna down the left wing.
40: A good chance fell to McDonald from a threaded through ball by Patterson but the Lambs player was unable to get his shot on target and his effort rolled harmlessly wide from a central position 18 yards out.
45: As the half drew to a close, Tamworth won a corner on the right but it came to nothing and the home faithful proceeded in berating the officials as they left the field.

HT: Mansfield Town 0    0 Tamworth

The Lambs got the second half underway and immediately went on the offensive, but the home side quickly won the ball and won a freekick on the left wing which was fired into the danger area and rebounded before Briscoe got a foot to it but sent the chance wide of the mark.
50: Matt Green spun on the loose ball and his effort struck the Lambs defence before Briscoe followed dup but saw his shot deflected over the bar for a corner which curled out of play and onto the roof o f the net.
54: A fine ball from Green, curling to the right of the box from midway into the Mansfield, half was struck perfectly by Marna and it flew past Marriott into the far top left corner for his first goal in a Tamworth shirt (1-0, 54 mins). Needless to say the 134 travelling fans celebrated wildly!
58: As expected, the home side went on the attack from the restart but Roberts was unable to keep his right footed shot down from the edge of the box and Hedge was untroubled by the effort.
63: After changes to personnel on either side, Patterson forced a corner on the right but Thomas' flag kick was headed away by Briscoe but the former got the ball back and struck from distance at goal only to find Marriott well placed to smother the effort.
67: A fine chance came to Thomas via Christie's hard work to break from the half way line, but Geohaghon got back just in time to prevent a clean shot at the exposed keeper. From the corner Green's shot was taken by Marriott.
73: Mansfield found themselves in attacking mode once again and forced a couple of corners, the second of which went in but was ruled out for another foul in the build up and O'Neill was booked for his protestations.
76: An equaliser did come on 76 though when substitute Smith's low shot from 18 yards took a wicked deflection and left Hedge unable to recover in time to prevent it crossing the line. (1-1, 76 mins)
78: A clash and the subsequent reaction between Roberts and Barrow earned both players a booking as both sides went in search of a second goal.
80: Matt Green crossed from the left and Courtney headed behind for a corner which caused a few problems before the whistle halted play for a disputed foul in the area against Courtney and Tamworth restarted play but were soon defending again. The final ball to Briscoe was poor though and Hedge was able to slow things down.
83: Barrow hooked the ball away from danger after Matt Green had missed his shot from a left wing shot and from the flag kick Christie was forced to head behind for another on the other side. Thomas cleared to the half way line and the pressure abated.
86: Patterson forced his way through to the box and despite the close attention of the home centre backs he was just unable to finish the chance cleanly.
87: And it proved costly ass play switched straight down to the other end, and when Matt Green found himself with the ball at his feet three yards out there was only one outcome - his 21st league goal of the season and a second for Mansfield (1-2, 87)
90: Five minutes added time was shown as Patterson made way for St. Aimie and Christie was booked for punching the ball away in frustration and eventually the final whistle blew on proceedings.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Courtney, Marna (Reece 71), McDonald (Thomas 56), Patterson (St. Aimie 90), Green, Isaac, Barrow, Christie, McKoy
Subs: Francis, Nix

Yellow Cards: Barrow 78, Christie 90

Mansfield Town Team:

Marriott, Edwards, Briscoe, Green M, Murray (Howell 89), Dyer (Rhead 58), O'Neill, Sutton, Meikle (Smith 58), Geohaghon, Roberts
Subs: Redmond, Riley

Yellow Cards: Sutton 34, O'Neill 74, Roberts 78, Rhead 90

Attendance: 2221

Referee: Peter Bankes (Merseyside)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures