Search results to follow...

Imps hit for four

FT: Tamworth 4    0 Lincoln City

08 October 2011

After the away defeat to Gateshead last weekend, Marcus Law's welcomed the Imps of Lincoln to The Lambs for the first time in their history.

There is interest in the youth set ups of both clubs too, as the Tamworth side have progressed through to the third round proper of this season's FA Youth Cup and could host the Lincoln youth side at The Lamb in a couple of weeks should Lincoln overcome Gresley in a replay on Monday 10th October. (Details of The Lambs youth ‘s opponents will be confirmed in due course)

Law made two changes to the side that played at the International Stadium with St. Aimie and McDonald taking the places of Thomas and Mills while Steve Tilson's side contained three former Lambs - Gavin McCallum, Simon Russell and Kyle Perry, although Russell had to pull out of the fixture during the warm up. And not forgetting Paul Green who lined up to face his previous employers.

The green and white striped City team kicked off the game towards the Castle End but it was Tamworth who were quick on the offensive and although the flag was up when Christie attempted his header, he almost connected with Bradley's right footed curler cross from the left channel inside two minutes.
A half chance fell to Lincoln around th 7th minute but the Tamworth defence held strong when Nicolau's left wing cross was met by Powers cut back.
A deep freekick following a late challenge by Tait was headed behind by Francis on 10 but a foul against Hone from the flag kick gave The Lambs quick respite.
Then on 13, St. Aimie burst down the middle of the park, and before Lincoln had time to react he cut past Anyon before slamming home from the left of the area (1-0, 13 mins).
And another flowing move on 18 allowed Shariff space to cut back on the left of the area but he lifted his curling effort over the bar.
St. Aimie then needed some treatment but returned to the action soon after and the referee needed to calm things down between Cain and Sinclair shortly after.
Persistence from Shariff gave him chance to put a ball across the face of goal from the right with Cain following in at the far post but he couldn't get the vital touch to double the advantage.
A freekick in the right channel was forthcoming for the Imps on 28 and Nutter put the ball into the box but the Lambs defence pushed Lincoln back to the halfway line and eventually all the way back to Anyon.
The offside flag prevented a Cain to McDonald to St. Aimie pass being converted on 32 .
Four minutes later from a Lincoln corner, Hedge's throw found Cain on the halfway line and although the winger made haste to the by line his final touch took him out of play and the move broke down with two or three Lambs in the box awaiting the final ball.
A foul by Christophe on Christie handed Tamworth a freekick on the edge of the box on 38 but McDonald's chip over the wall also cleared the bar.
Resolute defending all round halted the visitors progress and then on 40 Shariff sprinted into the box but was denied putting the ball into the net by Anyon's quick response.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and City were kept on the back foot, although a shot from 15 yards by Fuseini was blocked by Green.
Tait was booked following a foul on the left and Hedge was forced to punch the dead ball away shortly before the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Lincoln City

The Lambs started the second period with a goal lead to protect and a foul on Shariff on the left wing by Sinclair earned the Lincoln player a yellow card. Cain's deadball was headed clear.
power's shot was deflected behind for a corner on the right on 50 but it came to nothing.
Another foul by Sinclair in a similar position to the last didn't produce a card this time and the freekick caused a few problems at the back ending with a booking for Shariff following a foul on Nutter.
A close range header from Nicolau which could have produced an equaliser was well anticipated by Hedge on 57 and a foul on the right earned the visitors a freekick on 59 on the right wing.
Francis headed it away strongly and St. Aimie was brought down by Sinclair in the box at the other end earning him a red card for his troubles.
Christie stepped up to take the spot kick and sent Anyon the wrong way doubling the lead (2-0, 61 mins)
Two minutes later, McDonald took a right sided corner following Anyon's push over the bar and Francis headed home powerfully from close range for number three (3-0, 63 mins)
One ex-Lamb replaced another with 20 to go as Perry came on for McAllum and ex-Imp Green left the field for the returning Kanyuka a minute later and Christie left the field for a returning Barrow three minutes after that.
Tamworth tried hard to make the man and fresh legs advantage work for them as the final 15 minutes of the game came into view but final balls from the wing were too strong while at the other end Power hit a low freekick wide enough of the mark not to cause Hedge any troubles.
Mills replaced Cain with 12 to go then on 82 St. Aimie went on another of his runs and fed Barrow in space on the left but Anyon did well to smother his attempt on target with his body and prevent a fourth strike of the afternoon.
As the clock ran down Mills pushed the ball through but St. Aimie was unable to finish the chance and when the ball came to Barrow on the left of the area his rising shot rattled the bar.
But then St. Aimie made it four with a close range tap in as the visiting defence capitulated and allowed the Lambs time and space to set up the striker for his second (4-0, 88)
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the match and a late booking for City's Smith was the final action as three points were well and truly won.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Francis, Cain (Mills 78), St. Aimie, McDonald, Green (Kanyuka 71), Bradley, Shariff, Christie (Barrow 74)
Substitutes: Courtney, Andrew

Yellow Cards: Tait 45, Shariff 54, Green 65

Lincoln City Team:

Anyon, Nutter, Watts, Hone, Power, Fuseini, Sinclair, Smith, Nicolau (Arnaud 63), McCallum (Perry 70), Christophe
Substitutes: Taylor, Barraclough, Wilson

Yellow Cards: Sinclair 47 and 60, Smith 90
Red Cards: Sinclair 60

Attendance: 1232

Man of the Match: chose Francino Francis

Referee: Mr. D. Bond

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures