Search results to follow...

Lawmen spot a flaw in the Minstermen

FT: Tamworth 2    1 York City

10 September 2011

Marcus Law made three changes to the side that suffered defeat at Hayes and Yeading last Sunday with Cain, Thomas and Christie all taking a place on the bench being replaced by Mills, Patterson and Shariff as Gary Mills brought his Minstermen to The Lamb for the first time since leaving last season.

The Lambs kicked off towards the Castle End, and inside the third minute Smith shot wide of the right hand post from a central position.
At the other end, Hedge did well to claw away a Chambers cross in the next move.
A few minutes later the next real chance came but the York defence coped well enough, conceding a corner with Shariff coming in. Smith struck the ball into the box from the flag but St. Aimie's header was easy for Ingham to collect.
A flag kick was awarded to the visitors on 9 which came to nothing, and on 13 Mills made a good break down the left, but lifted his cross too high.
St. Aimie needed treatment for a blow to the head around the quarter of an hour mark, and a deep freekick was flicked on by Shariff but floated wide of the mark on 19.
A strong tackle from Tait prevented Blair from making any headway down the left wing on 23.
Habergham fired in a teasing strong cross from the left on 26 which evaded everyone but looked like it could have caused some problems, but it was even closer on 28.
Walker screwed his shot from 18 yards towards the far post and Challinor somehow put the ball the wrong side of the right hand upright.
Thomas replaced Patterson on and McGuirk was booked for a challenge on Shariff outside the area and Smith struck the deadball into the wall.
Chambers' bouncing shot on 35 was tipped behind , although it was always going wide, by Hedge and the resultant corner was directed away and behind on the other side by Francis for another corner.
St. Aimie crossed low into the box from the left on 38 but his teammates were just too far away to make it count.
Mills made the crowd get to it's feet with hands in the air on 42 but it was an optical illusion as his close range shot made the net ripple from the wrong side of the net via a deflection and when the ball came in from the corner Bradley's shot was deflected and Chris Smith cleared it off the line.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the half which ended goalless.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 York City

The visitors kicked off proceedings with Tamworth attacking the 375 away fans in the Meadow Street end and Shariff almost hit the back of the net on 47 with a left footed curling shot which went just wide of the right hand post.
The Lambs continued to keep the pressure on York without really testing Ingham and on 51 City's Blair hit a low shot giving Hedge and easy take in front of his near post.
Chris Smith blatantly pulled St. Aimie over in the box for a penalty on 53 and the Lambs striker dusted himself down and took a short run up before firing low into the bottom left hand corner to give his side a deserved lead. (1-0, 53 mins)
The Minstermen put Tamworth under a spell of pressure around the hour mark and on 64 sub McLaughlin brought a simple save from Hedge, low to his right.
St. Aimie picked up a needless booking on 65 picking the ball up from an offside and Law made a change up front bringing Christie on for Mills.
McGuirk escaped a second yellow on 69, bringing Shariff down on the edge of the area but nothing came of the freekick other than an offside as York defended.
Smith upended Thomas on 71 for another penalty and he powered it into the net to double the advantage (2-0, 72 mins).
York won a corner on 76 but with The Lambs packing the final third of the field there was no way through and the ball was quickly dispersed.
There was a similar fate for the ball from another corner and Tamworth broke but when the cross came in Bradley was denied a shot in the box by Oyebanjo.
Tait suffered cramp and required treatment with 10 to go but it was the impressive Shariff that came off with 7 to play, being replaced by Cain.
Almost immediately York got one back via Walker's header from Chambers right wing cross, which looped into the near top corner with Hedge at full stretch to set up a tense finish. (2-1, 84 mins)
Smith conceded a corner on 87 and won a another straight after but it came to nothing.
A York attack saw Walker put the ball well wide with his back to goal from a good position and as added time came into view City played with more impetus but a silly hand ball by Walker stopped play and gave Hedge a freekick in his D.
Five minutes stoppage time was indicated and Oyebanjo fell to the floor with a visibly painful  twang of his hamstring which would add more time onto the referee's watch as he left the field to applause from the main stand.
Christie found space to get a low but not particularly powerful shot at Ingham who then went up for a corner but only got halfway before being ordered back up-field.
McLaughlin struck a fine shot for goal as the clock ticked onto 95 only to be denied by a good save from Hedge and two corners came for the York side, but as Francis headed it away the whistle blew on three points for The Lambs.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Francis F., Smith, Mills (Christie 68), St. Aimie, Patterson (Thomas 28), Green, Bradley, Shariff (Cain 83)
Subs: Valentim, Collister

Yellow Cards: St. Aimie 65

York City Team:

Ingham, Oyebanjo, Meredith, Smith, McGuirk, Kerr, Walker, Chambers, Blair (McLaughlin 54), Moke (Reed HT), Challinor (Henderson 66)
Subs: Parslow, Boucard

Yellow Cards: McGuirk 29, Walker 62

Attendance: 1012

Man of the Match: Richard Tait

Referee: Mr. G. Horwood

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures