Search results to follow...

Solitary strike sinks Lambs

FT: Hayes & Yeading 1    0 Tamworth

04 September 2011

After eight days of rest, The Lambs took a Sunday outing to Woking's Kingfield Stadium to take on Hayes and Yeading, who were settling into their new home quite well, but a poor away form was hampering their season so far.
Marcus Law made three changes to the side that surrendered a two goal lead against Telford United, with Barrow out with an training ground injury - handing a first start to Sam Habergham, while Christie and Bradley return to the side at the expense of Liam McDonald and Kyle Patterson.

After emerging from the dug out to ‘System of a Down', Tamworth started the game attacking the empty seating stand to the right of the press box and the rock tunes were quickly replaced by a vociferous song or two from the terracing behind Hedge's goal.

The earlier heavy downpours had long since stopped, but the ground was a tricky slippy beast and a long high ball won the home side a corner. Hand curled towards the far top corner and Hedge punched it away for a corner on the other side. Cadmore flicked it on and Bentley met it at the far post, but found the side netting as the fourth minute ticked over.
There was more pressure from Hayes in the next couple of minutes and by the time ten was reached, Hayes were looking the more likely to have a shot on target with moves down the left wing and in particular Soares, doing the most damage.
The first Lambs chance came on 12 when St. Aimiee hit a powerful right footed drive from the left channel, but failed to test Arnold and missed the far post by some distance.
With Cain on the left and Thomas on the right the latter was well placed to mop up a  long throw from the left on 14 but he dragged his shot wide, and both swapped sides shortly after.
A corner was won from a Thomas move on 19 but Saville headed it away and after a bit of scappy one touch per team football a freekick was conceded by Tamworth on the Hayes right wing which Soares lined up but it was wasted.
A similar foul on Cain on the right wing set up Thomas on 24 and although his attempt at fooling everyone into not seeing the attempted shot worked, his attempted shot didn't and curled harmless over the bar.
The Lambs broke from a slip in the Hayes attack on the half hour but Cain's final ball was lacking direction and the defence were also on hand with block and tackle to, ultimately, frustrate.
Cain nipped in to advance on the penalty box a couple of minutes later but again was denied by the home defence and then the first real chance on target as Soares struck from 25 yards and Hedge gathered low to his right.
Hayes won a corner with a deflected shot from distance on 35 but Christie was there to head it away
Tamworth won a corner off the back of an almost decent 1-2 between ST. Aimie and Christie on 39 but the ball went long and Francis was unable to direct his shot on target from a tight angle.
Cain and Hand were booked for handbags in front of the dugout on 43 and two added minutes were shown at the end of the half.
In added time, Cain lifted a right footed cross onto the roof of the net from the right by-line and Taiit put a good boot in to deny a half chance of a Hayes break.
Christie and Cadmore both went for the same high ball and both needed treatment when then both hit the deck with a thump, only to return shortly before the whistle blew and there were no surprises that the first half end goalless.

HT: Hayes & Yeading 0    0 Tamworth


Hayes got the second period under way and Hedge raced out of his area to try and punch a ball clear but only got his fingertips to it but managed to boot it clear and save any blushes.
Then on 48 Pacquette gave hayes the lead when Williams left wig low ball into the area was not dealt with and the home striker sidefooted home from 6 yards. (0-1, 48 mins).
A high ball forward from St. Aimie set Christie on a chase and he was bundled over on the corner of the left box on 52 setting up Smith with the freekick but his effort was poor and Hayes raced forward with three versus one but by the time they had reached the edge of Hedge's box it was evens and the chance went a quickly as it looked to have been created.
Dubois fired low past the right hand post from distance on the angle on 55 with Hedge prostrate on the floor.
Christie hit the ball from 25 yards on the volley after good work from Cain on the right wing but Arnold took the shot soundly on 58.
A minute later, Habergham was booked for throwing the ball away after a foul and Hayes won a corner in the next move as Law made a double change.
Hedge was able to punch an in-swinging corner away from danger on 63 but Ujah took a blow to the head and required lengthy treatment in the goalmouth before play could restart.
The Lambs immediately went on the offensive and Thomas was perfectly placed to glance a diving header to the left of Arnold from Habergham's pinpoint cross on 65, but the keeper saw it and saved well.
The home side were in no obvious rush to ‘keep the kettle boiling' but did go in search of a second when chances presented themselves.
A golden chance came for St. Aimie on 68 but the offside flag saved his blushes as Arnold fumbled a cross and left him free to put Patterson's knock down into the net, but failed.
Petterson's right footed drive from the edge of the box took a deflection into the arms of Arnold on 70.
Bradley was booked for a foul on Dubois on the halfway line on 75 more from frustration than malice.
Lambs chances were now coming thicker and faster than at any time previously, but the final (final) touch was just evading them, or being denied by a resolute back line and when Hayes sprinted down the other end, Smtih was penalised for a bad challenge with his fourth yellow card of the season and the Lambs fourth of the afternoon.
Inside the final ten and Bradley put a freekick into the danger area, but with ten Hayes players in the box it was almost inevitable a deflected sliced clearance would win a corner, but nothing came of it other than continued possession until Bradley miss-hit a right footed shot.
Tait became the fifth booked Lamb on 86 and gave Hayes a freekick by the left corner which was cleared and a freekick from Williams was easily taken by Hedge.
Four minutes added time was shown as the Lambs custodian raced to the half way line to take a free kick but it was taken at height by Andrews.
A forward surge by Shariff ended with a rising shot over the bar from 18 yards and the same player crossed for St. Aimie in the next move but it was nipped off his toes with his back to goal.
A cushioned pass to Francis on the edge of the box was struck by Francis, but it went wide and the final whistle blew for three points for the home side.

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Habergham, Francis F., Smith, Cain (Shariff 60), St. Aimie, Thomas (Mills 69), Green, Bradley, Christie (Patterson 60)
Subs: McDonald, Collister

Yellow Cards: Cain 43, Habergham 58, Bradley 75, Smith 80, Tait 86

Hayes & Yeading Team:

Arnold, Han, Cadmore, Saville, Soares, Joseph-Dubois (Wishart 77), Williams, Bentley, Pacquette (Elder 77), Ujah (Crockford 73)
Subs: Argent, Mackie

Yellow Cards: Hand 43, Wishart 90

Attendance: 359

Referee: Mr. R. Whitton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures