Search results to follow...

Two goal Lambs defeat The Romans

FT: Bath City 0    2 Tamworth

27 August 2011

With The Romans side looking for a first win of the season and The Lambs out to clear memories of the midweek defeat it was surprising that it took until the 25th minute for either side to create a half chance.
And it took the fingertips of Tamworth keeper Jon Hedge to deny Paul Stonehouse's low drive.
Seven minutes later though, City keeper Glyn Garner miskicked a clearance to the feet of Danny Thomas who delighted in lifting the ball over the stranded keeper and into the net for the opening goal of the game.

After Tuesday night's first defeat of the season at Wrexham, Marcus Law made one change to the starting eleven from the Racecourse Ground as Paul Green returned to the side ahead of Callum Reynolds.

With Bath not winning any of their first four games, and with the supporters being defeated (always a good omen) 8-4 in an early morning fixture fingers were crossed for a Lambs victory at Twerton Park.

The Lambs got the game underway and put immediate pressure on the home side down the right winning a corner after just 30 seconds off the head of Sekani Simpson. Thomas lifted the dead ball into the box and it flicked off heads until Garner gathered.
Thomas put the ball into the box from the left on 3 but Christie was unable to get a clean shot away.
He did manage it on 6 from ma tight angle on the right of the area, but Garner was perfectly positioned to gather in front of his near post.
Cook called for a pull on his shirt as he tried to get past Green onto a high ball into the area on 7 but there was no movement from the referee.
Both sides were playing neat a passing game around the midfield but neither could put a good ball into the danger area and so play switched rapidly.
Bath won a freekick 30 yards out on 11 after a foul by Patterson and Barrow was forced to head behind, but a corner was not given and Hedge restarted with a goal kick.
Mills flicked on for Christie to pass to Thomas in the left channel on 15 but he dragged his shot wide of the right hand post by some distance and failed to trouble Garner.
After a spell of Bath possession and forward play, Tamworth pushed on but Barrow slapped the ball high wide and out of the ground into the housing estate behind the smaller of the two terraces behind the goals.
The first real goal action came on 25 when Stonehouse received the ball into the middle of the park and shot low for the bottom right hand corner only to see his goal-bound shot denied by the hand of Hedge.
The resultant corner was cleared but another one came quickly after via a deflection from Smith's block.
A header came in but Francis cleared strongly at the far post as Bath continued to enjoy a purple patch.
In the 32nd minute Thomas floated the ball over Garner to give the Lambs the lead after a dreadful clearance by the keeper which went low and short to the Lambs midfielder, 25 yards from goal. (1-0, 32 mins).
It was almost two a minute or two later when Tait crossed but Patterson was unable to get a toe end on the cross and then Patterson unleashed a curling effort from the right which beat Garner but also went over the bar.
On 40, Burnell flicked a left sided freekick over the cross bar with a deft header while at the other end Mills flashed a right footed shot across the face of the goal and out way past the left hand post.
On minute added time was shown at the end of the half and Bradley was booked for a shirt pull on Hogg.

HT: Bath City 0    1 Tamworth

The home side got the second half underway and Phillips shot right footed but found the hoardings rather than the net behind the goal.
Smith slid the ball to Patterson on 49 who in turn looked for Christie but he wasn;t able to get the ball from under his feet on the edge of the area and on 51 the same player chipped ot the far post but Patterson put a difficult header over the bar in mid air from a yard out.
Simpson's right sided cross forced Green to head over the bar on 55 and a freekick on the right was also cleared as the hour mark came into view.
On 59 Burnell was denied by a good full length stop from Hedge and the home side continued to enjoy the lion's share of the game.
Two corners came in quick succession on 64. Both times they were punched clear by Hedge but both times he was forced to protect his goal when it came back in.
Cain replaced Mills on 65 and this seemed to give The Lambs a lift, with Barrow floating a cross come shot from the left, just past the far post.
But Bath showed some signs of capability when moving forward and won a corner on 70.
Tamworth did the same on 72 with Bradley crossing low from the right for Cain, but it was put behind and the corner was cleared.
Play switched almost immediately with a Bath corner on 73 but Cain burst forward and fed Thomas only to see Garner block his shot then catch the resultant corner easily.
With Russell already injured and off the field, Bath made their final change on 76 and they thought they'd got a goal back on 80 when sub Canham charged down Green's clearance and pushed the ball clear to get a shot away but missed the target by just a few inches, putting his drive wide of the right hand post.
As the clock ticked down towards full time the home side continued to push on and try and cause problems for The Lambs.
Shariff saw daylight on 87 and sprinted with the ball from inside his own half to the edge of the area but was unable to finish the good move with a shot of the same quality.
Captain Christie left the field in the final minute for St. Aimie as Bath forced a corner which went wide of the mark off the head of Jones.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and just as the clock ticked onto 94 Bradley made a run down the left and along the by-line before slotting in for Shariff to ensure of the points (2-0, 90+4 mins)

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Francis F., Smith, Mills (Cain 66), Thomas, Patterson (Shariff 73), Green, Bradley, Barrow, Christie (St. Aimie 89)
Subs: McDonald, Reynolds

Yellow Cards: Bradley 45, Smith 54

Bath City Team:

Garner, Simpson, Hogg, Preece (Canham 65), Connolly, Cook (Murray 58), Russell (Egan 76), Jones, Burnell, Stonehouse, Phillips
Subs: Mills, Rollo

Attendance: 656

Referee: Mr. J. Amey (Bournemouth)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures