Search results to follow...

Chances do not equal goals

FT: Hinckley United 1    0 Tamworth

26 July 2011

After the 'demolition' of Burton Albion at the weekend, the fans who made the short journey to the Marstons Stadium could have been forgiven for expecting much of the same against Dean Thomas' Hinckley United side.
However, a first half header by ex-Lamb defender Craig McAughtrie separated the two squads at the final whistle although this was one match where the scoreline definitely did not reflect the passage of play.

In the first half especially, Tamworth created numerous chances, on average one every three minutes, and most of them via the skillful hard work of Cain down the right. He enjoyed a lot of the ball but found his teammates unable to turn the ball into the net on numerous occasions.

Patterson started with a close range effort denied, then Cain put in a good run and cross.
Smith sent Patterson free and he beat his man but dragged his shot wide of the mark and after a good run from Danny Mills on 13, St. Aimie put a tame shot on target.
Cain's run and right wing cross was blocked but Patterson took an air shot with the goal in front of him and a few minutes later Cain was involved again but St. Aimie sliced the ball wide.
A free kick at the other end gave United their second chance of the game on 19, and from it McAughtrie rose highest to glance a header inside far post from a central position (0-1, 19 mins)
Smith responded with a powerful shot which Haystead gathered and Cain's run a few minutes after brought a double shot, the first being saved and the second going wide.
Hedge left his area to try and clear the ball but got caught out and almost punished on the half hour mark, before Gudger crossed for Patterson but he put his header wide.
More from Cain before the break set up Patterson to win a corner with a deflected shot and it fell to Bradley, but his shot curled over the bar.
And then in added time at the end of the first half, St. Aimie headed off target when well placed.

HT: Hinckley United 1    0 Tamworth

Compared to the first half, the second half saw limited chances, while substitutions disrupted play, but Tamworth did forge a number of efforts on goal.
Mills broke into the area on 50 but the ball was cleared off his toes and McAughtrie was forced to head the ball over his bar from Cain's cross.
United's Gray went close for the home side on 52 and on the hour Christie headed wide of the mark.
Gray forced Hedge to block a powerful shot five minutes later, and after a flurry of changes on both sides, Christie missed a couple of golden chances late on.
The first saw him advance into the area onto a good long ball to feet from Tait but Haystead was equal to his shot and then a delicate chip by the striker was caught at height by the keeper.

Attendence: not known

Tamworth Team:

Hedge, Tait, Gudger (Hamergham HT), Courtney, Reynolds (Francis HT), Smith, Bradley (Shariff 72), Cain (Bottimer 57), Mills (Taylor 72), St. Aimie, Patterson (Christie 57)

Subs: Collister (GK)

Hinckley United Team:

Haystead, Oddy, Dudley, Gooding (Byrne 27), McAughtrie (Hull 57, Holt 67), Lister (Everton 57), Kerry, Elliott (Jephcott 65), Gray, Kolodynski (Hodgson 49), Hendrie (Newton 77)

Subs: All used

Attendance: 0

Referee: Unknown

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures