Search results to follow...

Christie seals late win

FT: Leamington 0    2 Tamworth

08 July 2011

Tamworth opened their 2011/12 pre-season campaign with a two goals to nil victory away at Southern League premier Division side Leamington FC. This was the third year in a row that the Lambs had travelled to the Warwickshire countryside and had won the previous two games by three goals to two so the fans were expecting another goal feast.

On this occasion both teams defences were on top and when a goalless draw looked to be on the cards Iyseden Christie popped up with two very late goals to give Marcus Law his first Tamworth victory.

Duane Courtney started where he left off last season in good form and had to concede an early corner but he was then on hand to powerfully head away the cross into the box

Keiron St.Aimie did well on the left in the 6th minute, sending in a pin point cross into the centre of the penalty area for Daniel Bradley to run onto but as he was about to unleash a shot on goal the ball bobbled which allowed the Leamington defence to scramble the ball away.

The Lambs first shot on goal came in the 9th minute when a ball in from the right found Ashley Cain on the edge of the box but the former Mansfield player blasted his shot well over the crossbar.

Leamington had a great chance to open the scoring in the 10th minute when their number 7 was given space on the edge of the box. Luckily for the Lambs he hit his effort just wide of the left hand post. New keeper Jonathan Hedge had to be on his toes a few seconds later when he left his line and with a call to Liam Francis to leave the ball he picked the ball off the bot of the Brakes forward as the ball bounced inside the box.

Kieron St.Aimie and Daniel Bradley played a quick one-two in the 22nd minute down the centre, Kieron returned the pass forward for the on rushing midfielder but it was just too heavy allowing the home keeper to collect.

Liam Francis played his defensive colleagues into trouble when he attempted a header low down which went straight back to the home team however before they could take any advantage the ball was put out of play for a corner kick. The corner kick was hit high into the box but the danger was soon over as Jonathan Hedge rose to collect the ball.

The Lambs won a corner in the 24th min when a chip from the right was cleared, from the corner the ball was knocked back to Daniel Bradley who from 20 yards hit his volley over the crossbar.

The first offside of the game came in the 29th minute when St.Aimie was ruled offside just inside the six yard box as he attempted to head home a right wing cross. A minute later St.Aimie held the ball up half way into the Brakes half, With his back to goal and holding off the close attention of a couple of defenders he turned and hit a low shot which Breedon the home keeper took low down in the centre of the goal.

HT: Leamington 0    0 Tamworth

The teams went into half time all square with no goals scored and with a number of changes by both teams the second half kicked off with supporters working out who was on and who was off. The Lambs made four changes, Liam Francis, Danny Thomas, Ashley Cain and Nabil Shariff were replaced by Francino Francis, Seb Lake-Gaskin, Liam Macdonald and Kyle Patterson.

The team were kicking down the slope for the second half and Lake-Gaskin placed a ball inside for triallist Mitch McPike but as he raced inside the box the ball rolled just out of his reach when in a good position to hit a shot on goal.

The first injury of the game came in the 57th minute when Sam Habergham took a knock and had to be treated by new sports therapist Huseyin Torgut. Within a minute the home teams therapist was called on to treat a home defender inside the penalty area. The game was held up for a number of minutes.

The final substitutions for the Lambs were made in the 60th minute when Kieron St.Aimie and Daniel Bradley were replaced by Iyseden Christie and Jay Smith. Christie was soon in action and was unlucky when a late flag denied him a goal scoring chance when he was pulled up whilst breaking down the middle chasing a through ball. The Lambs were holding onto the ball well in the later stages of the game and with 15 minutes to go Richard Tait sent in a great cross from the right which unfortunately was met first by a defenders head who cleared the danger.

It was Kyle Patterson who was improving as the game went on after a tentative start he did really on the right showing his strength when holding off a couple of defenders to take the ball to the bye-line. He hit the ball back inside but no Lambs player was on hand to take advantage of a close range tap in.

With supporters drifting home thinking the game was about to end scoreless Iyseden Christie hit a firm low shot in the 90th minute from 20 yards which took a deflection leaving Breedon flat footed on his line with the ball ending up inside the net on the keepers right hand side.

Christie made it two nil when he scored a very good goal in the fourth minute of added on time. Standing in the right hand side of the penalty box he bent a left hand shot around Breedon to score into the left hand side of the net. Leamington had enough time to kick off before the Referee blew for full time.

Tamworth Team:

Jonathan Hedge, Richard Tait, Samuel Habergham, Duane Courtney, Liam Francis (Francino Francis 45), Daniel Bradley (Jay Smith 60), Ashley Cain (Liam Macdonald 45), Mitch McPike, Kieron St.Aimie (Iyseden Christie 60) Nabil Shariff (Kyle Patterson 45), Danny Thomas (Sebastian Lake-Gaskin 45)


Attendance: 291

Man of the Match: Richard Tait

Referee: Mr R.Ellis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures