Search results to follow...

Nine men Poppies cannot handle Lambs

FT: Tamworth 3    1 Kettering Town

02 March 2011

After Saturday's defeat to Forest Green, boss Des Lyttle made one change, dropping Tom Marshall, who has been placed on the transfer list, for Richard Tait - coming back from suspension.

Kettering got the game underway kicking towards the Meadow Street end and won a freekick on the left on 3 which Tait flicked into the far corner with a deft header to open the scoring (1-0, 3 mins)
The Poppies looked for a quick way back and won a corner which came to nothing and Wilson forced a good stop from Liam (Mitchell) to win another on 6 but the keeper was equal to the header from Roper from the flag kick.
Courtney headed a Wilson cross from the right behind for a corner on 12 but it came to nothing after Liam got a fist to the ball and the shot from the edge of the area was miles off target.
On 16 it was two to The Lambs when Daniel Bradley hit a low shot from 20 yards and visiting keeper Rayner couldn't prevent the ball going into the bottom left hand corner of the net. (2-0, 16 mins)
Perry got a good header on goal from a Thomas cross on the left a minute later but the keeper was equal to it as the visiting side continued to look shaky at the back and generally poor going forward.
A slip at the back almost allowed Kettering in on 22 but Wilkinson was on hand to mop up the danger while on 25 Solkhon hit the chimney on the first house in Meadow Street with a high and wild effort from distance.
And Thomas' aim wasn't much better a minute later, dragging his shot wide of the mark from the edge of the area and Sheridan fired well off target when well placed shortly after.
Flanagan tripped Perry outside the area on the half hour but his self taken freekick came back off the wall and as Kettering pushed forward a wayward back pass from Tait allowed Cunnington a freeshot on goal which he placed straight at Liam from 18 yards.
A flowing eleven pass move by The Lambs was ended when Wylde was brought down by Wilson, who received a booking for his efforts on 35, for his challenge on the half way line.
Sheridan's low ball from the right was almost turned into his own goal by O'Neill at the near post but went wide of the mark for a corner which Daniel flicked over the bar with a header.
And on 43 Perry made it three turning onto a ball from Daniel over the halfway line and advancing down the left channel into the box before firing home with the help of a poor stop from Rayner (3-0, 43 mins)
One minute of added time was shown as a good half ended for The Lambs.

HT: Tamworth 3    0 Kettering Town

Kettering got the second half underway and Barrow had the first shot of the half with a rising drive which went wide of the right hand post form centre left of the area.
The visitors won a corner on 50, only to have the ensuing play immediately ruled out when Barrow went down from a push inside the six yard box.
At the other end, on 54, Wilkinson burst into the box but the ball took a nasty bobble and he hit it into the conifers behind the away terracing.
Although Tamworth held a healthy lead, Kettering now looked more confident coming forwards and won a corner on 56 which came out to MacDonald, but he couldn't direct his shot towards the target.
A good move down the left on the hour saw Barrow win a corner and a combination of Wylde and Perry failed to get the decisive touch to put the ball into the net from the flag kick.
Five minutes later and with The Lambs sitting deep Cunnington got a shot away which Liam held onto easily, before a high boot against Perry set up Smith with a freekick from a central position 35 yard sout but Davis hooked it clear.
Tait was caught by a stray hand and the referee had to stop play so that he could get treatment and play restarted with a drop ball.
The woodwork and Liam prevented Solkhon and Kettering from pulling a goal back on 69 which also saw a prolonged stoppage while Cunnington  received treatment in the area after a taking the brunt of a defensive challenge in the preceding play. Cunnington couldn't continue so a change was made and when the corner came in Wilson launched himself to catch the ball with both hands (but didn't quite manage it) so received his second booking for handling and duly left the field when the red card was shown.
And then on 77, Rayner was sent off for handling the ball outside the area rushing out to try and stop Perry's shot - and with no sub keeper on the bench, Solkhon took over the gloves for the remaining 13 minutes. Smith's resulting freekick was hard and straight, but rose just over the bar.
Thomas crossed for Perry and his header dropped over Solkhon but also wide of the mark on 80  then Wilkinson smashed a shot from the left of the area off Mills for a corner.
MacKenzie hit a powerful effort at goal on 83 and, to his credit, Solkhon saved well, but then play switched to the other end and Mills struck for goal and a deflection off the boots of Barrow sent it past Liam to give the nine Poppies a consolation. (3-1, 84 mins)
Marna felled Tait by the halfway line on 85, and a couple of minutes later Thomas fed it through to Perry but he couldn't get power on his turn and shot and Solkhon collected, shortly before the Lambs striker was replaced by some fresh legs up front.
But it was Thomas who had the next chance, being released by MacKenzie, only to drag his shot wide of the far upright from the left of the box.
The Lambs held possession as the 90 minutes passed and a substitution was made bringing both Mitchell brothers together for the first time, and four minutes added time was shown (although one and a half had already been played!).
The clock slowly ticked down and eventually gave Tamworth their first home win since mid January.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait , Courtney, Wylde, Smith (capt) (MacKenzie 78), Perry (Bradley J 87), Thomas, Sheridan (Mitchell A 90), Bradley D, Barrow, Wilkinson
Subs: Christie, Kamara

Kettering Town Team:

Rayner, O'Neill (Mills 60), Kelly, Roper (Davis 53), Flanagan, McKoy, MacDonald, Solkhon, Marna, Cunnington (Furlong 71), Wilson
Subs: McRae, Challinor

Yellow Cards: Wilson 35, 72 (Sent off)
Red Cards: Rayner 77

Attendance: 609

Man of the Match: San Giovanni chose: Duane Courtney

Referee: P. Hodgkinson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures