Search results to follow...

Lambs go through to Round 2!

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Crewe Alexandra

06 November 2010

Tamworth welcomed Dario Gradi's League 2 Crewe side to The Lamb for their FA Cup, sponsored by E.On, fixture with £18K on offer for the winners.
With captain Jay Smith suspended Michael Wylde took over the armband which also saw Stefan Oakes handed his first full start of the season (Birmingham Senior Cup excepted).
Crewe featured Clayton Donaldson, a player who was no stranger to The Lamb having played both for and against Tamworth over the years.

Crewe got the game underway after the Lambs pre-match huddle, with Tamworth kicking up field towards the away contingent.
inside the third minute Perry almost made the most of a slip by Ada at the back but his defence was quick to clear the danger.
The Lambs cleared the danger from a long Donaldson throw from the right on 4 an d the same player hit a right footed shot from 25 yards over the bar, which Severn watched out, but a bit of a dip would have caused the home keeper some problems.
A teasing cross from Thomas on 6 was cleared at the second attempt and the game settled to a passing game with the occasional high ball to get out of trouble, from both sides although Tamworth had more of the possession.
Donaldson made a surging run on 10 but his move was cut out, and then a minute later the same player was brought down setting up Bell with the deadball, but it was wasted and The Lambs got rid of the danger.
A similar foul against Perry allowed Oakes to stroke it low to Thomas and when Taylor failed to punch the ball clear at the far post from his dinked cross from the left of the box, Rodman rattled the shot into the net via an attempted clearance and the underside of the bar (1-0, 15 mins).
Westwood hit a hopeful effort at goal from 30 yards on 18 but failed to trouble Severn.
A fine ball into the box from the left from Bradley found the head of Perry on 20, but a push by the Tamworth striker ruled out his effort, which went over the bar anyway.
Perry got into the left of the box on 23 and squared across the face of goal, but Ada was on hand to walk the ball clear in front of his keeper while at the other end the speed of Moore took his past the Lambs defence only for his low cross to go untouched and was cleared.
After a spell of keep ball by the Alex, Tootle forced Severn to spill a low ball into the near post, but there was no danger of a follow up and Tait got rid allowing Tamworth to try and build.
A corner was won at the Meadow Street end on 32 and without Smith to float the ball in , Oakes hit the dead ball long onto the head of Wylde, but Taylor was well positioned to catch the goal bound effort.
Rodman won another corner on the opposite side on 34 and Oakes found Wylde at the back post, but the effort struck woodwork and was cleared to Rodman who won a corner with his return shot.
The ball then fell to Mitchell, but he found bodies in the way of his right footed effort and when Thomas struck the rebound it curled wide of the mark.
Moore was booked for a challenge from behind on Tait inside the Lambs half on 36 and Severn made a fantastic stop to deny Grant, who sneaked through the back four to fire a shot at goal, only for the keeper to knock it away with his feet and spare his teammate's blushes.
A quality ball from Oakes to the far side for Thomas won Tamworth a corner on 39 but Grant cleared inside a crowded area as Donaldson skipped through a number of challenges from the half way line before being denied once again by the goalkeeping of Severn when it looked odds on he would slot home and Tait was booked for a challenge on the Crewe player when the move ended as the referee had allowed play to go on.
Severn was on hand to gather a low driven shot from Grant on 43 which hit the floor and bounced awkwardly into his midriff.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and handball denied Bradley a shot at goal inside the box before the half time whistle blew on a great display by the home side.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Crewe Alexandra

The leading Lambs  got the match underway as the floodlights but it was Moore who hit a low shot from the right forcing Severn to protect his post and concede a corner which was cleared, and although the visitors regained possession it was quickly lost.
Mitchell headed a Murphy cross away on 50 as Alex pushed forward again but with everyone back except Perry, Tamworth coped with the danger and countered quickly with Rodman winning a corner.
Oakes almost found the head of Rodman and in turn, Perry was unsighted when the ball fell to him a yard out so could be forgiven for not reacting to the loose ball.
Then, on 55, it was two to The Lambs, a superb curling strike into the top left hand corner from 25 yards by Thomas who picked his spot out excellently and gave Taylor no chance of getting anywhere close to it set the home fans alight. (2-0, 55 mins)
Crewe sub Leitch-Smith struck for goal on the hour and his shot took a wicked deflection off Wylde to see it go out past the post by just a foot or two.
The Alex fans showed their dismay at the scoreline by endorsing The Lambs sponsors in a rousing chorus on ‘We should have gone to the Snowdome' shortly after, and Tamworth continued to prove to be a very hard nut to crack and even Sky were reporting Thomas' strike as Premier league rather than non-league.
Westwood then tried a low shot across the goal but Severn was happy to watch roll past his left hand upright on 66.
On 71, Bradley won a corner by the clubhouse and Oakes looked for Mitchell at the near post, but Crewe cleared and Donaldson went on a run down the left wing. The ball made its way to Murphy as The Lambs regrouped at the back and Tait was on hand to dispense of the danger.
Severn performed miracles again on 77 to deny Westwood at the far post and when the ball came back out Donaldson tried his luck but cleared the bar by just a few feet.
Oakes left the field to a standing ovation on 83 and a corner shortly after was headed goalward by Rodman, but it was not powerful enough to trouble Taylor.
With 2 minutes to go Westwood stole in at the far post to get one back for Crewe and set up a tense finish for The Lambs. Wylde and Donaldson were booked for a tussle as the ball nestled in the back of the net and Tamworth restarted the match with 10 seconds to go of the 90.
A minimum of five minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and a superb tackle from Wylde denied Westwood as he juggled the ball into the area on 92.
Whistles rang out around the ground, despite there still being 60 seconds to go as Donaldson's throw was booted clear.
Barrow put the ball out for a corner with a must win challenge and the final whistle did eventually blow causing the Lamb to erupt.

Tamworth Team:

Severn, Tait, Oakes (Wilkinson 83), Wylde, Mitchell, MacKenzie, Perry (Lake-Gaskin 77), Rodman, Thomas, Bradley, Barrow
Subs: Marshall, Sheridan, Lyttle, Wallen, Connor

Yellow Cards: Tait 40, Barrow 75, Wylde 90

Crewe Alexandra Team:

Taylor, Tootle, Westwood, Artell, Ada, Donaldson, Murphy, Grant (Leitch-Smith 59), Bell, Moore (Powell 86), Mitchel-King (Blanchett 58)
Subs: Phillips, Shelley, Davis, Dugdale

Yellow Cards: Moore 36, Donaldson 90

Attendance: 1776

Man of the Match: Tweeddale Arms chose Danny Thomas

Referee: Mr. G. D. Scott (Oxon)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures