Search results to follow...

Fantastic Lambs go through to face Crewe

FT: Grimsby Town 0    1 Tamworth

26 October 2010

A midweek trip to Blundell Park was not what Des Lyttle hoped for, especially after MacKenzie's goal at The Lamb on Saturday had put Tamworth in the driving seat, but a last minute equaliser from The Mariners set up this FA Cup 4th Qualifying replay, with £12,500 and a home tie against Crewe Alexandra awaiting the winners.
Ben Wilkinson was ruled out with a groin strain, so two Daniels - Elliott and Bradley came onto the bench to make up the full compliment in a 16 that was otherwise unchanged from Saturday.

19:30 Great view (despite the posts) and great pitch in this great ‘old' 9,500 capacity ground literally a stone's throw from the sea and nice to finally see Grimsby in their Black and White stripes - Tamworth are in all blue tonight.. Valiant turn out from the Lambs fans too - it's a long way to come on a cold Tuesday night at short notice. Two big flags behind the goal and it's slowly being populated. Brings back memories of Bury and Rochdalem although not quite as many have travelled.

KICK OFF! Grimsby got the game underway with Tamworth kicking towards the Lambs faithful.
A freekick on the half way line on 2 by Tait found it's way to Thomas who saw his low ball into the area cleared from in front of the goal for a corner on the left which was cleared but lake-Gaskin forced another flagkick from the same side.
This time Grimsby broke and Bore's deep cross was headed back towards goal but the same player was unable to finish the chance which looped towards and past the far post.
Tamworth exerted some pressure but Perry was unable to get a shot away and when Thomas  played the ball back to Barron on 6, his shot curled well wide of the right hand upright from 25 yards.
Bore won the home side's first corner on 7 when Wylde blocked his cross and from the flagkick Atkinson's eventual header was high off target.
Good forward movement from The Lambs saw Rodman spread the play wide and Tait found Thomas with a long ball from the right from which he won another corner. The ball was headed up and away but MacKenzie met it with a sweet right boot only for it to drive low and wide of the left hand post.
Coulson received the ball on the edge of the area at the other end and drove a low shot wide of the far post on 11.
Play switched to the other end then but Grimsby's Coulson found Bore with a low ball which beat the Lambs defence but Severn did very well to come out and smother the chance on the edge of his box.
Bore was at it again this time form the right wing and beat Barrow but his cross was cut out as Tamworth countered down the left and Thomas won another corner.
Rodman gave Perry a run down the right on 18 and he cut in to shoot at Croudson, but it was a tame effort which didn't trouble the home keeper.
Mitchell got in the way of a Connell effort to deflect the ball out for a Mariner's corner on 19 which Perry and then Smith headed clear but Eagle skipped back into the box and looked to have set up Bore with an easy shot, but he totally fluffed his opportunity and The Lambs escaped.
As play switched to the other end again, Rodman crossed from the right for MacKenzie to hit first time, but with the keeper static it went wide of the left hand upright again.
Thomas played himself in down the left and crossed into the box but it was cleared and then Grimsby's Bore had a shot from the left which Severn dropped to catch as play refused to let up.
Thomas saw another cross, looking for Perry, cleared away on 26 and another Thomas ball fell for Perry but his shot went wide of the mark on 28.
Severn made a good stop from a snap shot from Connell on 31 after Lake-Gaskin had lost the ball on the right and Grimsby worked it via two short passes to the man in the middle who got the equaliser on Saturday.
Tamworth cleared a driven effort from Coulson on 33 and Lake-Gaskin struck the inside of the post with a right wing cross but Perry was just too far in front of the rebound and Smith couldn't get his shot from 18 yards out on target in the closest either side had come yet.
As fireworks peppered the sky behind the main stand Tamworth pushed on again and Rodman brought a reflex save at head height from Croudson after cutting back into the area from the left to win a corner on 40.
And from the corner the ball worked it's way across the box and Rodman who turned provider on 41 with a chip from the right for Perry to head home from close range. (1-0, 41 mins)
One minute added time was shown at the end of the half and Grimsby won a corner from Coulson's blocked cross on the right of the box which Rodman cleared.

HT: Grimsby Town 0    1 Tamworth


The Lambs returned with the one goal advantage and kicked off the second half with the travelling faithful (officially 51) in fine voice.
Severn got his hands down to stop Bore's prod at goal on 47 in a good chance for the Grimsby side and a searching left wing cross by Ridley shortly after was not attacked by the home side as Tamworth were content to shield it out of play.
A foul by Tait in the left channel gave Grimsby a freekick but Tamworth cleared and Roman skipped past his challenges before Thomas won a throw on the left. He put a cross in but Smith didn't get a clean header and Perry was unable to get a boot to the ball as it flashed across the goalmouth and out on the other side.
Smith did superbly to block a shot in the area and send it spinning over and out for a corner on 51 which Tait hoofed meaningfully clear.
Tait received a talking to from the referee after a tangle with Ridley on 56 but some great defending from the same player prevented Grimsby from winning a corner on 58 and Peacock's eventual effort from distance left a lot to be desired.
Barrow took the brunt of a challenge on the left side of the firl don the hour and needed treatment off the field as Tamworth continued without him for a moment as Rodman and Smith played a one two for Rodman to strike at goal but wide.
Bradley replace Lake-Gaskin on the right shortly after as Mitchell prevented a corner and Tait blocked a goal bound effort from the ensuing play.
The fans will have a real hard task to pick a MOM on their way home at the moment as this is a great team performance, Des has got them all working superbly as a unit tonight and it's really riling some of the home fans.
Rodman sent a teasing cross to the far of the box on 67 and Perry direct his header goalward, but it nestled on the top of the net in a good piece of play from The Lambs.
Sub Hudson curled a left footed shot from 20 yards wide of the mark with Severn in full flight on 71.
Wylde was forced into a flying header to cut out a left wing cross from Bore on 73.
Eagle swooped (yes!) on a pin point through ball on 74 but the offside flag prevented his shot which Severn had already come out to block.
Perry found his way blocked when Rodman's ball into the area with the outside of his boot curled nicely for the Lambs leading scorer on 77.
The Lambs were forced to defend strongly as Grimsby pushed on and their push eventually broke down when Bore over-hit a pass into the box, allowing Severn to collect.
And it was more of the same until a big boot forward saw Perry go head to head, literally, with Croudson as the keeper left his area to clear the bouncing danger as the game entered the final 10 minutes.
Grimsby didn't let up their search for a goal but Bore hit a low shot from 30 yards which failed to trouble Severn as it flew well wide of the mark  on 83and Mitchell dived to head the same player's left wing cross out for a corner on 84 which was headed wide of the far post before the home side made their final change of personnel.
Thomas was bumped to the ground on 85 and Tamworth played a bit of keep ball before the offside flag prevented the run of Thomas and Oakes came on to see the game out, for Perry.
Severn pulled off a superb one handed save on 88 from Fuller's right wing cross and then Tait denied Connell at the near post as he shot for goal before Mitchell and MacKenzie cleared the danger into the home half of the field.
Bore launched a long throw inot the area which came off Rodman for a corner and Marshall came on for Thomas before the kick.
Eagle's corner was put wide by Atkinson at the near post, under pressure and the clock ticked over to 90 minutes with four minutes added time being shown.
The travelling faithful continued to make more noise (in song) than their counterparts on the other three sides of the ground as the home side pushed on but a pass was too long for Eagle and Severn restarted on 93, putting the ball out for a goalkick at the other end with just Rodman anywhere near the half way line.
He did force a save from Croudson with a lone shot at goal on 94 (30 seconds to go!) and Grimsby took the ball out for a throw before MacKenzie booted it clear as the clock ticked onto 94 and the referee kept checking his watch before finally blowing on a great Lambs victory.

Tamworth Team:

Severn, Tait, Wylde, Mitchell, Smith, MacKenzie, Perry (Oakes 86), Rodman, Thomas (Marshall 90), Lake-Gaskin (Bradley 61), Barrow
Subs (seven named): Elliot, Lyttle, Wallen, Connor

Grimsby Town Team:

Crousdon, Bore, Ridley, Garner, Cummins (Hudson 65), Peacock, Coulson (Corner 70), Connell, Wood (Fuller 84), Atkinson, Eagle
Subs (seven named): Peet, Kempson, Leary, Samuels

Attendance: 1612

Referee: B. Khatib (Sunderland)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures